Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre Ltd

The Review

A home away from home in busy Nairobi. Somewhere you can relax away from the hustle & bustle in a green oasis. This is a converted house with a large garden filled with birds and, if you're lucky, vervet monkeys. It is gated and there is a security guard on duty at night.

Milimani Backpackers is situated in Karen suburb, about 15 kilometers from the city centre. It's down a quiet lane off Langata Road and is not more than 5 kilometers away from most of the tourist sites; Nairobi National Park, Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Centre, David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, Ngong Hills, etc. It's a little difficult to find as Milimani Backpackers is no longer in Milimani district, having moved two years ago, so make sure your taxi driver, heads for the Karen Hospital which is 400 meters east of St Hellens Lane. There is no sign out front of the hostel, but it is signed 'No8' & 'MBP'. It's accessible by matatu, but the Nairobi traffic means that this could take 2 hours from the centre!! Head for 'Bomas' from the centre, then change at the Galleria shopping center for another matatu going past Hillcrest School (some matatus turn off before then) which is about 500 meters before St Hellens Lane on your right.

The rooms are plain, as you'd expect at the price, but spotlessly clean, as are the toilets & instant showers. Mosquito nets are on all beds. Twin cabins are being built in the garden as this review is being written. There are two dorms, one male, one female of 6 beds each, most rooms share common bathrooms. There is, however, a very large family room upstairs (one double & one single bed) with its own balcony and bath!

The first view as you check-in is of the sitting room. Sofas are arranged around the flat screen TV and there is a computer for guest use with very fast WiFi. This is a very nice area to relax & chat to other guests. There is a book exchange as well. The kitchen provides snacks and main meals at very reasonable prices, the free breakfast is OK. There is a large garden with chairs & tables. It's also an area for camping. All is kept very clean and the owner is there most days to oversee guests' comfort.

All in all, this is a real find. We can't remember the last time we found something this comfortable & welcoming in a big city and at such a low price. Superb!!
by Londonroad Staff Reviewer
Photos taken by the reviewer — Genuine photos you can trust.
Milimani garden
Scooby the dog
Common sitting room
Family room
Twin room

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre Ltd" at Karen Suburbs: St. Helens Lane, Off Langata Road.)

Karen Suburbs: St. Helens Lane, Off Langata Road, Nairobi, Kenya
-1.336239, 36.729896 (accuracy not guaranteed)
+254 (0) 20-2343920

How is Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre Ltd rated on other websites?

86% Guest Reviews

Fantastic Home From Home
Wow! This is such a friendly and comfortable place! Just what I was looking for after nearly one year of traveling from Egypt. A place to feel welcome and to be able to relax and take stock of the trip so far. Cheap and very clean and with DSTV and fast wifi, I was able to catch up on all my emails, post my photos and research and make plans for the trip ahead. Comfy mattresses and a lovely monkey-filled garden make you want to stay and stay! Milimani Backpackers is quite a way outside central Nairobi, in the posh suburb of Karen, but right in the heart of the tourist area. The Giraffe Centre, Elephant Orphanage, Nairobi National Park, Ngong Hills, Karen Blixen Museum all within a half hour minibus ride. As a gentle introduction to East Africa or as a place to chill out and regroup, this is the place to stay.
i can say this was one of the worst hostels i stayed in in Africa. the owner is a very selfish lady who is basically just intent on getting as much money from guests as possible. when i was there one of the dogs they keep bit someone and they had to go to the hospital. they had to fight hard to get any compensation. i got a bad feeling from the moment i arrived.
Ken Shaw
Bad Experience
I would like to warn people about Milimani Backpackers. It's in the guidebook. As a hostel it is fine enough but I had a really negative experience with them. They have an area in the back corner next to the wall where people can camp. One evening I was lying down in my tent when a big thunderstorm came. The thunder was really close so I got out and went inside the hostel. Less than five minutes later I came back to check if water was getting in and I found my tent was covered in bricks. The wall had fallen on it. If I had been inside I would have died or been very seriously hurt. My tent was destroyed and when I checked my new video camera I found the screen had been cracked. I found out later this was the 3rd time the wall had fallen and once before it had hit a tent but they still let people camp there. I assumed Patricia, the owner, would replace or fix my tent and camera without any problem, just happy I was alive. But to my surprise she refused to pay a cent. After a heated argument they finally agreed to look for estimates. That was the beginning of a long fight to get some compensation. The played all kinds of games with me. They lied, they didn't return my calls/messages/emails and they stalled me hoping I would give up. For awhile I stayed at the backpacker waiting for them and they refused to let me stay for free. In the end I finally got some cash four months later but only because I was so persistent. As for my tent they reluctantly gave me the cheapest old tent they had. It was useless against rain. For this I would have to say do not stay at Milimani Backpackers.

Rate Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre Ltd