Grand Canyon International Hostel

The Hostelz.com Review

Grand Canyon International Hostel is easy to find and close to town bus (about ten minutes' walk). It is a very social hostel with always people there to talk to. Free breakfast (porridge, bread, jam, and fruits). Staff are friendly and helpful. You can book tours through the hostel and they will mind your luggage for a few hours after check-out.

This hostel is within walking distance to the town bus. It is next to the train but not noisy. There is plenty of parking. Also it is within walking distance to restaurants, shops, and the cinema in town. The location is very central.

The rooms (private ensuites are available) and hallways are gorgeously decorated and everywhere in the hostel is clean. The bathrooms are located at the end of the building. Some rooms don't have air conditioning, so it's not so nice in summer.

The computer room is adjacent to the lounge room. The lounge room allows smokers, so it can be filled with cigarette smoke if you are unlucky. There is a BBQ area with tables and chairs on the side and at the top floor balcony. There is a small luggage storage behind reception, which can store your luggage for a few hours after you have checked out.

Summary

Overall, this is a great hostel and very social. It's centrally located, near public transport, shops, restaurants, and the cinema. Staff are friendly.
by Loyan
2011-08-06

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Grand Canyon International Hostel" at 19 S. San Francisco Street.)

19 S. San Francisco Street, Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
35.195848, -111.648916 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.grandcanyonhostel.com
+1 (928) 779-9421/ +1 (888) 442-2696
+1 (928) 774-6047

How is Grand Canyon International Hostel rated on other websites?

Easygoing and very flexible. Grand experience!
Super affordable and located in a convenient location. The staff was very accommodating and flexible with my late arrival and early departure. Overall a grand hostel experience, highly recommended to anyone passing through.
Boris
Age 34, Canada
2015-02-12
  The Grand Canyon International Hostel is a convenient stepping stone for exploring the wonders of the nearby Grand Canyon. It's a friendly place with good facilities and is exceptionally clean and welcoming. The Location The Grand Canyon International Hostel is conveniently located in downtown Flagstaff and just a block from the Amtrak Station and about a mile from the Greyhound terminal. It's also easy to navigate by road to the hostel. There's a good map on their website and the streets are broad and not too busy if you are driving. You can easily walk to all the facilities you need in the town as nothing is too far away, including rental car options as well. Rooms and Bathrooms The Grand Canyon Hostel has a policy of just four guests per room. The bunks are kind of close together but there's a sink and a refrigerator in every room which makes it more homely. Bathrooms are shared but very clean. They also segregate but you can request a mixed dorm. Rates include breakfast downstairs in the kitchen, free parking, access to WiFi and linen. Common Spaces Other than the kitchen area there's a lounge and a TV/library area and some outdoor seating. This means there are plenty of places to hang out and meet people. There's a friendly vibe here and as everything is clean and neat you feel quite at home. Breakfast is just a help yourself affair with toast, jams, cereal and drinks. Summary Staff at the Grand Canyon International Hostel kindly sent us details of how to get in even though it was after hours - our Greyhound bus was late and we'd called ahead. This was very convenient as we were able to get in, find our room and then sort out payment in the morning. It seems fairly safe walking around Flagstaff late at night also. The hostel is in a two story building that has a history of accommodating travellers. The hostel also offers affordable tours to the Grand Canyon if you would like to travel with a group. These seem to be very well priced and do take you below the rim if you wish to explore further into the canyon. Visiting the Grand Canyon is a must if you're in the area. This is quite possibly the best hostel we stayed at in the USA.
Entrance to Grand Canyon Hostel Lounge area Kitchen area Kitchen Kitchen Dorm Bathroom
Jo
2013-11-21

Great stay -- single room just little pricey
I just stayed there for one night as I was on a trip through the National Parks. So I arrived late and left early, but during that time everything was fine. The room was clean -- towel was provided, the bathrooms were also clean and just 3 meters from my room, so perfect. Breakfast started at 7am and I left at 8.30am, although check-out is possible till 11am. The dorm room would be cheap, but as I wanted my privacy for that night I chose a single room for $44, which is a little expensive as the bathroom is shared, but I slept great and so it was worth it! And the people there are all very friendly, so I enjoyed my stay!
Martina
2012-11-26

Here for two nights and really liked it.
So this hostel is located in what I would suspect is not the nicest area of town. It is super close to the cool downtown part of Flagstaff which is within a few blocks. I was here in July 2008 stopped over on a cross country motorcycle trip. Was nice to get a hot shower (the one on the second floor recommended by staff really is the best shower I have ever had in a hostel). I did have an unfortunate theft of my beloved Nalgene bottle. I was outside repairing my tent pole and left the bottle for a minute to get some scissors, on return it was gone. I do not suspect anyone at the hostel, but instead the wandering rove of homeless kids who were crashing some random place next to the hostel. Anyways I met a fellow teacher and we talked it up, in general had a great time. The staff here is unbelievable friendly. The drive between Sedona up to the Grand Canyon from here is incredible.
Heather O.
(Chicago -USA)
2009-01-15

Great place
I have stayed in this hostel twice, once in 2005 and once recently. I was happy to see that it hasn't changed a bit. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the accommodations are comfortable and clean. I have nothing negative to say about it and would definitely stay here again.
Susan
2008-05-11

Good.
Good place, great staff, friendly people. Their Grand Canyon tour was good but quite expensive. The look on our door was fishy and it took us about half an hour to get into our room. But the staff was really nice about it, even though I had to run and get them every time I wanted to get in.
Helena
(Sweden)
2007-12-29

Traveler friendly, great accomodations within walking distance of city
It's a great hostel with Wi-Fi computers, free breakfast. I have stayed in hundreds of hostels around the world and it is definitely worth a stay in pricey Flagstaff. The management is very helpful and accommodating!
Jim
(United States)
2007-11-29

Great place!
I really enjoyed this hostel. The building and rooms and nice and clean. It feels like home. Their Grand Canyon tours are top notch and definitely worth the money. As others have said it's close to the train tracks and the noise can get bothersome. This is the same anywhere in Flagstaff as it's a small city, so no matter where you stay this will be an issue.
Brandon