Green Tortoise Hostel Seattle

Green Tortoise Seattle offers a lot of character and a location that cannot be beat.

One of Seattle's most famous tourist attractions, The Pike Place Market, is located literally a stones throw away from the Green Tortoise. In fact, guests have a great view of the market from the common room and kitchen area. The hostel is very easy to locate and guests arriving from the airport can take a local bus into town before walking ten minutes to the hostel.

Beds in the Green Tortoise are equipped with privacy curtains, fans, outlets, and reading lights. The idea of privacy curtains was very welcomed as it allowed guests to turn on the lights without greatly disturbing others. Luggage storage is served by under-bed containers that can be secured with personal locks. Ample space is available for backpacks or medium- to large-sized suitcases. Dorms hold four to eight guests and private rooms are also available.

Bathrooms at the Green Tortoise are shared, but remained absolutely spotless. It appears that the bathrooms are cleaned several times daily and are some of the best offered by hostels with great water pressure and temperature control.

The Green Tortoise lobby opens up into a common room area with multiple functions. To one side lies the kitchen, which is open for guest use and contains all the necessities for cooking on the road. The common room also contains seating for meals, a computer area (free Wi-Fi), and a television with couch seating. A book exchange and free use guitar are also on this level. The Green Tortoise also has a designated smoking lounge on this main floor.

The Green Tortoise exudes character from the decorations in the main common room to the Jimi Hendrix wall mural in the smoking lounge, which also features old-school pinball machines. The hostel has a very social vibe and allows for maximum guest interaction.

Summary

The only downfalls noted during a visit to the Green Tortoise would be some of the clientele it attracts -- unlike at most hostels, there is no maximum stay limit. Some guests encountered during a stay at the GT had been living at the hostel for quite some time. Also, the hostel allows work exchange programs and some interesting characters seemed to frequent the hostel. This might also be associated with rumors of its 420 friendliness in the smoking lounge, although this was not verified.

Overall, the Green Tortoise offers an unbeatable location to explore Seattle in a lively atmosphere at a great price. The hostel is very clean and has spotless bathrooms. Other important benefits include free breakfast (all-you-can-make pancakes, eggs, toast, and fruit) and a hostel dinner served three times weekly. One free dinner consisted of spaghetti, salad, steamed vegetables, and garlic bread -- a great value for the budget traveler!

July 2010

How is Green Tortoise Hostel Seattle rated on other websites?
Green Tortoise Hostel Seattle Reviews from the Web
5   Miss it, love it. I loved staying at the Green Tortoise. I was wondering if you still have the glorious open mic nights. And if I do a show there can I stay a night free? My friends there do poetry and music shows with the Vancouverite, poets and musicians. I wish we could all do that again.  , Canada ()
2   A real mixed bag It was initially shocking; getting charged over $30 a night, for a cramped dorm room. The bathrooms and common areas were very clean. The free breakfast was nice. I also enjoyed the free dinner. I met some cool people, but got very little sleep. The next morning, I rented a private room at a hotel, for about $20 more.  , Chicago, USA ()
4   Great place Friendly staff, nice location, free wifi, GREAT kitchen, clean big showers, and a nice, big common area. The beds have their own curtains which is nice, I'd stay there again any day.  ()
4   More expensive now -- but much cleaner, no smoking/drugs Fall 2008. I was there a few years ago, and stayed one night only. The area you must be cautious in at night -- but i walked to and from the gay area up to 10 p.m. Check bus schedules and make sure you know where you are going. The police station is up in the gay area, with plenty of late night cafes and restaurants -- it is less safe from there downtown.  , USA ()
5   A Great Place Location Couldn't be better. I walked to this hostel from the Westlake Center at 10 p.m. and though I passed a couple of dodgy-looking people, I felt completely safe. Morning, noon, and night, I felt secure and at ease. Accommodations Great! The bunk beds were thoughtfully fitted with a reading light and a fan, each bunk bed had a storage locker for luggage and curtains to give you a little bit of privacy. Overall, things were quite clean. The staff was very busy in the mornings and afternoons, but were as attentive as they could be. Value Fantastic! Free internet, breakfast included every morning (not just pancakes), some free dinners. I would recommend this place to my friends and I will definitely stay there again the next time I'm in Seattle!  , USA ()
3   Different the location is across from pike street market but not really prime. a lot of the homeless hang out in that area specifically and it feels seedy and unsafe if you're not use to it. the general ambiance of the place is very hippie/communal. the staff was very ditsy and i attempted to ask them questions and received babble so i didn't pursue it very far. it's nice to be pleasant but the area is seriously unsafe for females alone who aren't familiar so i really think they should smarten up rather than be so free spirited. also the computers weren't secure. on the positive side the rooms were cute and the showers were awesome. they have in house activities and provide a pretty good breakfast. on account of the location i cut my stay there short.  , usa ()
5   Best hostel I've stayed at so far -- so many things right about it! This place is great. The location is fantastic -- right next to Pike Place market and a block away from downtown -- lots of public transport options close by too! The staff were friendly and helpful, and the building is very nice. The common room area has lots of macs with free internet, and the whole place has wireless which is a big bonus. The room I was in was quite cramped but that's because it was an eight-bed room. However there was lots of locker space and the beds had curtains on them so you could have some privacy. There were some problems with the swipe card for our door but that wasn't too much of a hassle. At least that means the room was secure from outsiders! In fact you can't even get into the main building without a swipe card, something I really appreciate and have bitterly missed at other hostels I've stayed at. They offer discount rates to Bill Speidels Underground Tour if you go with the hostel group, and have free dinners and also free breakfast (never heard of brownies for breakfast before!). I would highly recommend this hostel to anybody traveling to Seattle.  , Australia ()
5   Can't go wrong I really don't understand how anyone can find a complaint about this place! I admit to being a fussy traveler and have had a number of disappointing hostel experiences. However the Green Tortoise has restored my faith in hostels as an accommodation option. The staff were helpful and nice. And not only do they organise fun activities but also delicious free meals. I gained a new appreciation of waffles! The location is unbeatable -- right across the road from the delicious fresh produce of Pike Place Market. Clean private bathrooms and a user-friendly kitchen. And great free internet to catch up on my emails. I loved it so much I was reluctant to leave! Green Tortoise is by far the best hostel I have stayed in.  , New Zealand ()