Sama-Sama Guesthouse

At the time of this review (January 2004), this place is only 6 months old and is not in any guidebooks. It's run by a Swiss-Malaccan couple Sona and Gabe, so already there's a different touch. They've combined their styles into a very East meets West establishment.

The house is over 300 years old and was once an opium den. It's also right in the heart of the Jonker's antique area and really close to the historical sights. Most of the other guesthouses are located right over the other side of town.

There are dorm and private rooms all lying off an inner courtyard full of pot plants, hammocks and lounge chairs. The rooms all have proper bed heads and you are given colourful sheets, towels, and soap when you come (even in the dorm). The bathrooms are both Asian and Western and there's a lovely little sitting area just off the street when you first walk in. All the beds have mosquito nets and cotton mattresses. It's a great blend of east and west. Ring ahead to book because there are only four rooms and four beds in the dorm. You wouldn't want to miss out.

I really enjoyed chatting to Gabe who had a lot of time for all the guests and seemed to be happily available at anytime and with very unaffected hospitality. There is a lovely downstairs area with tables where you can sit and have a cold drink with her.

by Jo
January 2004

How is Sama-Sama Guesthouse rated on other websites?
4   Good hostel I used to stay there a night 28 Aug 2009 -- that's great!  , Thailand ()
5   Just like a heaven! I stayed one night, 15th October 2008. It was the most wonderful night!  , Japan ()
4   Lovely I stayed in Sama for one night before i move to a place on the same street. My stay was nice, i love the courtyard garden very much. clean backpacker, and friendly and helpful staffs.  , Malaysia ()
5   Great! A great hostel. Gabe and Soon run an excellent place. Great charm, friendly, well tended! I stayed there twice for about a month. Am now resting at Australia and cant wait to go back. Great place!  , Australia ()
5   Fabulous I just came back from Melaka and i stayed at sama sama guesthouse for two days. The atmosphere is so nice. At the night time we can just sit at the front door and chat with Soon and his beloved wife. Soon is very friendly and the guesthouse location is just too great. It is near to almost every hotspot of Melaka. By the way, if you really like a peaceful and quiet place for you to relax, sama sama guesthouse will be your first choice.  , Malaysia ()
1   Unfriendly and arrogant Booked a bed in a dorm via phone, the "lady" on the phone confirmed it. I arrived there two days later (at 3:30 p.m., so to a fair time) and they told me they have already given my bed to someone else. I cite: "We only have a single room vacant, take it or go somewhere else. We have enough people coming in every day, we don't need you." If that is their way to run a business, well. That is by the way the first time that this happened to me in a guest house (in ten months traveling).  , Germany ()
4  went malacca for the weekend from Singapore. happened to pop into sama-sama. cool place filled with the reggae beat from Soon's turntable in the evening.  ()
4  Fab place, very atmospheric, and right in the heart of Chinatown and the night market. The place is certainly a little quirky but extremely chilled and laid back. I would advise taking a fair amount of mosquito repellent as all the water in the courtyard seems to attract the little blighters.  ()