Banana Backpackers

Banana Backpackers is situated in the centre of Durban. It is close to beaches, shops, supermarkets, and banks. The area is fine during the day but taxis should be used at night, but this is the case all over Durban. The hostel is a Bazbus backpacker bus stop.

There are twin, single, double, and dorm rooms available. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable. Men's and women's bathrooms are separate and clean and hot water is available. Rooms have cage-style security lockers. Rooms are unlocked and can be accessed from the courtyard or the balcony terrace.

The hostel is accessed by a staircase and there is a security gate at the entrance, which is opened by the staff on pressing the buzzer. The reception is open twenty-four hours and also has a safe.

The hostel courtyard is surrounded by the balconies of the three floors above. It is quite rundown and needs a lot of repainting. There is a paddling pool. In the main building, there is a common area with a pool table and some chairs where travelers can relax and watch DSTV. There is a cheap internet service available within the hostel, but is not open at all times. The kitchen is very good for guests who like to prepare their own meals. There is also a BBQ/braii area in the courtyard, which guests can use. There is a bar/reception area in the main common room.

Summary

This is an ok hostel despite its rundown appearance. Most of the guests are transient South Africans or other immigrants staying long-term. That isn't what most backpackers want to find at a hostel, but for some this may add some character to the hostel that you don't experience in a lot of places.

by RayJ
November 2008
How is Banana Backpackers rated on other websites?
Banana Backpackers Reviews from the Web
1   They have RATS!! My mom and I booked a stay at Banana backpackers for six nights. When we arrived we were shocked for how BAD it was! We talked to the staff and got the key to our room ... It smelled like molds and trapped in the room, and we decided not to stay here. If we would stay there I would not feel safe and I would probably be sick because of the molds!! On our way out to the reception I saw TWO HUGE RATS running around!!! We told the staff about the RATS and they did not care!! The staff did not care to understand that we did not want to stay with them ... Luckily we did not pay any deposit and we did not have to pay them anything!  ()
1   Very dirty with cockroaches yesterday I was in the hostel and I retire in a few hours. Arrive at the hostel at 12.30 and recently I had a room at 15, and I had booked a room in advance. We ordered room change because there was no electricity. In room 6 find the dirty floor, the bed hair, semen and pillows with cockroaches everywhere. attention was very bad.  , argentina ()
4   Not a bad place, not excellent either What I found when I stayed there is this accommodation is only available for people over seas. Not for south africans just plainly looking for accommodation when on holiday. During my stay there I was constantly reminded that I could not stay longer then 2 days. I was asked my pass port where as I am a south african. So my question is what is the difference? I am thinking of using the place for a holiday again because it is cheap but if south african citizens are welcome there with no exclusions.  , Witbank South Africa ()
1   .. The only good thing about this place is the location close to the beach. The showers/toilets are really overrated, and the place is TOO boring. Really hated my stay there.  , Dutch ()
1   Worst Hostel in Durban The staff were helpful but it went downhill from there in every way possible. I stayed at other Hostels in Durban and found them superior. After I wrote a critical review of this place on another site the owner sent me a pathetic insulting email. Avoid until they get new management and improve the place.  , USA ()
4   Completely Unexpected This backpackers suited our group perfectly. there were 11 of us in total on expedition with World Challenge in 2005. We had no issues with cleanliness, and it was our point of call home as it had internet access!!! We'd had a bit of a rough time out in a little village called Nompondo. There was a bush fire that we were caught up in, and coming back to Banana's was like heaven. So close to everything, the beach, shops, supermarket, restaurants. Over all throughout the month going back and forth we spent about 5 or 6 nights here!!! And not one of us moaned. We even celebrated one of the guys birthdays there. The staff (Ewan being one of them) were amazing. Gave us little tips on everything to do with sight seeing and touring. I've since been trying to go back to SA and every time i look for accommodation, i always look for Banana's. I have a family as well now and i think it would be ideal!!!!  , English ()
1   Poor, dirty, and not the nicest location We stayed here for a few nights recently and I have to say I would not recommend this hostel to anyone. Although it is cheap and quite near the beach it does not feel safe and is positioned above a brothel! The rooms dont shut properly let alone lock, there are cages in the rooms or outside them but you are able to look into them so it would only encourage people to nick something if they wanted to. If you are stuck for places to stay then its a bed but other than that I would not recommend this to anyone.  ()
1   Less than rubbish! Traveling around a lot using both normal Youth hostels and Backpackers places we have never seen anything like this! First of all there was not any sheets nor any towels to get when we came there. after walking from the beach expecting to be robbed every single second, the room we had was lousy and dirty with a totally broken window and a kind of a cupboard door without any locker (to be honest we could have at least a small locker after some arguing). the bunkbeds plastic mattresses was full of stains and as we had to bring all over clothes to cover them in lack of sheets it wasnt even pleasant to use those clothes after. The first nights visit in the ladies toilet were a nightmare -- I didn't directly find the light switch so I scratched the wall which scratched back and a bunch of cockroaches fell down in my hair. not a nice moment when the light went on and the rest of them (big as half a fist) ran away down the floor! There wasn't one full hours quietness in the place though in the inside yard there were stairways or corridors to other floors of the house where strange people seems to gather all nights long. The last night was a blessing though one of the new guys in the reception went out to town buying some towels so we could at least take a decent shower. But to return to this or to recommend it to whoever -- no way!  , Scandinavia ()