Le Montclair Montmartre

Reception
LobbyCommon Area
Dorm of 4Twin RoomOutside
Double RoomBreakfastBreakfast RoomDorm of 6

Le Montclair Montmartre is located in the Montmartre section of Paris. The closest Metro station is the Jules Joffrin station. Once you get-off the Metro and exit, you'll find youself in front of the city hall of the XVIII district, which will be on the other side of the street. Take Rue Hermel (on the left of the city hall), then turn left on the Rue Ramey (which is an street on a angle). You will find the hostel on the left side of the street at number 62.

The area around the hostel is nice and quiet, with the exception of a school in the area. There are a few bakeries, cafes, and small grocery stores in the area. Sacre Coeur is a short, uphill distance from the hostel.

The reception is right at the door. You can leave your bags in a room near the reception, but they are not responsible for anything that gets stolen. The lounge area is in the same area. It consist of a few sofas and a small TV in the corner with basic TV and a few high tables and chairs in another area with a beverage machine and phone. There is a kitchen in the basement that serves breakfast in the morning for 2.50 euros. It is not much, so it would be cheaper to find a bakery for breakfast. The kitchen can be used at night to cook and eat dinner.

The dorm rooms are clean and some have a small watercloset and shower in the rooms that are clean. Make sure to completely close the shower door or you will get water on the shower room door. There are several showers, sinks, and waterclosets located on the bottom floor of the other building. The mattresses are soft, but the beds sags due to the wire supports. The hostel provides a towel, blanket, and sheet for your stay. There are no lockers in the rooms. There is no curfew but there is a lock-out in the afternoon to clean the rooms. There is only one key provided per room, so the last person to leave locks the door and turns in the key. There is one computer for internet access that cost 1 Euro/10 minutes.

Overall it is a reasonably decent hostel in a good location.

July 2004
How is Le Montclair Montmartre rated on other websites?
Gomio
Le Montclair Montmartre Reviews from the Web
4   Everything about Le Montclair was awesome! The rooms were clean, there was an awesome common area where a lot of guests would hang out, and the staff was very friendly and fun. We also had free breakfast! Which is awesome because a lot of places don't do that. The only bad thing was the wifi was sketchy and you could only use it in the common area also you weren't allowed to drink outside wine in the common area (but you could buy wine there).  , age 20, United States ()
3   Good for price, but rooms could be cleaner This was my first ever hostel experience, and it didn't disappoint me nor did it really wow me. Stayed in a 8-bed, mixed room. The beds were decent. There was not enough lighting in the room, nor were there enough outlets. the bathrooms were quite small, with toilets in one room and shower and sink in another. The shower takes a while to heat up and is a bit small. The staff is pretty nice. Breakfast is okay and served at good hours. Check out is at noon, which is great.  ()
3   Extremely accessible and affordable basic warm roof over your head The best advantage of this hostel is its few steps' closeness to the Jules Joffrin Metro station. Room rates match a backpacker's budget. There's free buffet breakfast. Staff are polite, helpful and conversant in English. Rooms are plain but have adequate heating, the mattress is comfortable but had bedbugs, so bring bug spray. However, I liked that we stayed in a room with a window that opened to the Sacre Coeur about a few kilometers away. Toilets are small but I guess this is customary in Paris. Overall, I think this hotel is worth considering when looking for a Paris Hotel.  , Philippines ()
4   It's good for paris, ok for anywhere else there are some cities around the world that are great for hostels -- where they're cheap, plentiful, inexpensive and friendly. paris is not one of those cities. having checked out a couple of hostels in paris across a few visits, the montclair is certainly one of the best -- its clean enough, safe enough, central enough, and friendly enough. in comparison to the hostels in places like krakow or edinburgh, youll be disappointed, but relative to the city its in, this place is fairly liveable. nice common space, but they seem to have closed off the downstairs kitchen to guests since ive been there last. still, you get a breakfast thrown in, and the location is pretty good, especially for doing to cafe/artsy-montmatre side of paris. general thumbs up.  , australia ()
1   Noisiest, Dirtiest Sh*thole on earth This is by far the worst accommodation we have found on our trip!! The website portrays a very lovely hostel but the reality is all but! The room are dirty and tiny (door to bathroom will not close as the bed is in the way) ... You couldn't swing a cat in the bathroom and you can hear every single step someone takes on the 6 flights stairs. I thought someone was taking the piss at first when someone walks up or down. The toilet makes a flushing sound every 2 minutes and the shower lasts 19 seconds. The people behind the desk are as unhelpful as possible. Before we had even stayed one night we had rebooked into another hostel and cancelled our booking here for following nights! Let's hope we don't get bedbugs as previous reports have mentioned these!!! Stay away!!!  , Australian ()
3   Perfect location but a bit dirty The location is absolutely perfect, it's close to Sacré-Coeur & Jules Joffrin Metro Station. If you love to stay in a place with many late night food in a backpackers village atmosphere, then this is the best choice. You can use your wifi-enabled gadget with free internet access. The front staff was good & helpful. The free breakfast was not bad, but the lady at the back never smiled during my 3 days stay there. The "NO" is, like some others said, yes it was a bit dirty.  , Indonesia ()
1   BEDBUG ALERT!! We were really hoping to love this hostel, but instead were forced to flee in the middle of the night and wander through Paris with our luggage trying to find another place to stay. We always check for bedbugs but it can be very hard to tell. We should have known something was up when we saw them hand over bed linens to several other people checking in before us, but told us our bed was already made when we checked in. Hmm ... think they didn't want us to find the bugs? We did look under the mattress, and there was an old dirty quilt. I thought it was weird, but at first didn't see the bugs. Now I know it was a pathetic attempt to serve as a barrier between the bugs and the mattress. In the middle of the night when I was laying wide awake (because we had to leave the window open -- NO AC and VERY loud street noise, btw), I thought I felt an itchy bump on my hand. Sure enough, when I turned on the light, there was a bedbug right next to my pillow. We immediately packed our things and went to the front desk. Of course, they had no other rooms. Fine by us, we wouldn't want to stay there anymore anyway. But we did want our money back. They guy working claimed he could not refund my credit card for the amount of 150 Euros which is what I paid upfront for two nights and he had no explanation of why. He tried to tell us to come back the next day for our money! I insisted he refund us in cash and at first he tried to give us only 65 Euros! He said that is what the computer was telling him I had paid! Um, that wasn't even the price for one night so why would I have only paid that?!?!? LUCKILY, I still had the receipt in my purse and was able to prove how much I paid, so he did give us our money back. But he was completely unapologetic and acted like he had never heard of bedbugs?! YOU WORK IN A HOSTEL -- YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!! YOU TRIED TO HIDE THEM FROM US!! Now, we know why they ALSO told us when we first checked in that we'd need to change rooms for the second night ... they didn't want us catching on to the filthy condition of that room ... which was all the way to the right on the 6th floor, by the way -- BEWARE!! Don't stay here!!!!  , United States ()
5   The place to be! Good value for a hostel, you'll find cheap accommodation or private rooms, the Staff is amazing and very friendly, they help us to have a pleasant stay in Paris, the breakfast is nice, we'll return for sure! the wifi is free with your own computer, or for 1,5euros, you have internet access in the lobby.  , US ()