Vana Tom Hostel, Tallinn

6.7

your hostels in Tallinn

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Vana Tom Hostel rated on booking websites?

Vana Tom Hostel Reviews

First good impression decreased in time

I accommodated in this hostel just for one night, but it was rather enough. First impression was ok -- good place in the Old Town, nice interior (the only really nice thing there for me). We were two persons and booked room for eight. It was a small room with four two-floored beds, fortunately no other clients were in that room that time. No towels (in previous hostel we stayed in towels were included into the price). No lockers actually -- you have to get a key for token payment. Internet was not for free. Water in bathroom is rationed. So we were a bit confused and didn't want to take "free" city maps -- who knows, maybe we would have to pay for them as well. The staff looked bored and without any interest in clients. In conclusion I am rather disappointed, but it could be worse.

Eva
2009-08-17
Lithuania

Thought it was fine, no hygeine issues. Kitchen was the only communal area and dorms could maybe get a bit crowded if full but I'd happily stay there again.

Chris Beales
2006-09-26

Hostel is very nice and friendly and very well located. and with Liza as receptionist, is really the top of the top where i ever been.

Giuseppe
2006-08-26

Location is great. Hygiene is fine. Some paper thin walls would make it necessary that the staff ensures the application of the rules of the hostel. However, the staff was not capable to deal with people who use the kitchen as living room (and stay there until one to two a.m., that was the problem in two nights) or who were drunken (shouting at each other, singing, slashing doors until four a.m., that was the problem for the other two nights). We complained, the reception appologised and nothing happened. Avoid the double room (room two, next to the kitchen) under any circumstances. Please also be aware what this means when the receptionist does not have the skills, capabilities, and tools to deal with drunken people.

Daniel Lang
2006-06-23

I stayed in this hostel for ten days and I think it is acceptable but only when it is half-full. The nine-bed dormitory room are too little for nine persons with their luggage. The water pressure is not enough when all the showers are in use. Moreover, the wireless internet connection signal is very weak, or totally absent, in upstairs rooms. Sometimes, the sheets are torn. Apart from that the the position is good (five hundred meters from the Old Town center), the upstairs bathroom (the one I used) is clean, and the staff is enough polite.

There are certainly better places to stay in Tallinn
2006-06-19

This is the worst hostel I've ever stayed at. The staff are unfriendly and absolutely unhelpful. When I complained about the service the woman at the reception said this would not be her problem and then claimed she could not understand me anymore! The rooms are tiny and crowded with people. We had to sleep on the luggage bunks and did not even get sheets or pillows on the first night. The bathrooms are not very clean and there is no hot water in the showers. I do not recommend this place to anybody.

Pat
2005-08-15

This hostel was both good and bad. The location is great, but the hostel itself certainly did not live up to all the hype I had read about it. I thought it was too expensive (it comes out to a couple euros more than great hostels in Berlin). It was actually cheaper to take a ship to Helsinki than to pay for a night at this hostel. The breakfast was the biggest free breakfast I had during my entire four-month trip, but it wasn't very good. I didn't want to waste it, so it took some effort to get all of the soggy sandwich and bruised fruit down. The staff are pretty much not helpful they're not trying to be mean, it just seems that they don't know *anything* about Tallinn. To add to that, all of the information binders they have available (with timetables for trains, ferries, museums to visit, etc.) are over five years old. Why bother having such outdated information? The downstairs bathrooms smelled absolutely foul so I was very pleased to be upstairs where the bathrooms were very clean. The place was nearly empty while I was there but if this place filled up I could see the 12-bed dorm room being stupidly crowded with not enough room for packs/luggage and people.

Stacy
2005-03-21

This is a great location, with excellent staff and the kitchen is just great. Everytime I come to Tallinn I stay at the Vana Tom.

Anna
2005-03-13

Vana Tom Hostel is ideally located right in the heart of the Old Town, just round the corner from the main Town Hall Square and mere footsteps away from some of the coolest bars and clubs in Tallinn!

Stay with us in one of the comfortable private rooms or choose an excellent value-for-money, originally designed dorm room.. Please note that 24h check in is possible, simply indicate your arrival time when making a booking and we will try our best to prepare your room on time..

Traveling with a group? Doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. Vana Tom hostel offers competitive rates and can accommodate a range of group sizes, whether you are traveling with an academic program, a sports club, or recreational travel group.

Address: 1 Väike-Karja Street, Tallinn, Harju County, Estonia

Vana Tom Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Vana Tom Hostel Tallinn www.hostel.ee
Phone Number: +372 6 31 32 52

Currency Exchange

Checkout: 12:00 (12 Noon)

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Vana Tom Hostel