Oban Backpackers

Oban Backpackers is a friendly hostel with extremely pleasant common space. The reception, living room, eating area, pool table, TV area, and fireplace are all in the same room, and it gives a very social atmosphere to the whole hostel.

The kitchen is big and well organised. Remember to name and date your food and beer -- or else some one will chuck it out or drink it. The showers are clean and it's easy to avoid the queues - 'cos there aren't any! The many showers though don't make up for the lack of toilets. But, that's not a problem -- you'll always find someone to talk to in the queue.

The place to be in the evenings is at the local Irish pub just across the road, O'Donnell's. There you'll probably find most of the guests from hostel, maybe even your dorm neighbour.

Oh, yes, the dorms! They have the best beds in Scotland! Spacious, clean sheets, not wiggly (they're made of solid wood) and the big rooms make you feel like you underpaid for the accommodation. Breakfast is not included, but for an additional £1,90 you'll get a heavy breakfast in the common room.

Oban is a small town with possibilities to explore the many beautiful islands nearby, and the hostel has a lot of information about the different tours. Chocolate factory, town walk with free whisky, scooba diving centre right around the block from the hostel, and so on. Fun, fun, fun! PS: Scotland's best fish & chips are to be bought in lovely Oban!

The hostel is located three minutes walking from the harbour, and it's reasonably easy to find.

November 2004
How is Oban Backpackers rated on other websites?
Oban Backpackers Reviews from the Web
4   Great I think we stayed in the newer hostel affiliated with Backpackers, and it was very nice. When we went, it was not very crowded. The staff were friendly and helpful. The lounge area was very spacious, the kitchen was large and well furnished and the eating areas were large enough to fit the dinner and breakfast crowd. The location is excellent. I would recommend during off-peak times.  ()
1   Do not stay here I have traveled the world and visited many hostels, hotels and cannot get over how bad this hostel is. Bed was really uncomfortable. Staff were extremely rude (maybe due to my nationality). Such a disappointing stay in what is a quaint pretty town.  , Singapore ()
1   Poor Cant get over the fact that I wasted a couple of nights at this hostel. I actually found a bug in my bed and when I complained to the hostel worker, she said that I was lying, made me feel two inches tall, but she amongst a few other guests were drinking most of the night around the pool table. also sucked that we had to come in early on the weekends. really depressing place to visit after a pretty good trip to Scotland. I have stayed in some fairly dodgy hostels (London, which is really hard to find decent backpackers accommodation), but this was truly a letdown.  , England ()
2  I stayed here early August 2006. Hostel quite nice but staff very fake (I overheard them bitching about a group of guests who were on a tour). Midnight curfew on weekdays and two a.m. on weekdays is also ridiculous, also no lockers in rooms or locks on bedrooms doors.  ()
5  My friend and I stayed at hostels all over Europe this past month, and this one has to be the best! The beds are comfortable (they all have funky names!), the common area is excellent, its very clean, the showers were great, the staff are friendly and helpful (especially Kylie at reception!), and this is such a great seaside town -- you must visit and stay here. We felt so secure here, too. Just be warned that reception closes everyday from one to four-ish (I think for cleaning and such), but you can just set your stuff down, hang out, or go walk around; you'll be fine. Highly recommended.  ()
4  This is a really well priced and very clean hostel. I think it's probably one of the best in Scotland.  ()
4  This is a pretty cool place, perfect for just a one or two night stay. It's part of a chain of backpackers that are all really good value for money. No problems with this place at all. Very close to everything.  ()
4  Great location, close to all the local pubs, clean enough, good facilities, friendly staff, and a nice common room. Pleasant hosteling experience!!  ()