SameSun Venice Beach

The Venice Beach Cotel is the perfect location to stay on the beach in L.A.. Venice Beach is a very hippie place with lots of boutiques, artists, musicians, and craftsmen selling stuff. If you like the bohemian ambiance, you will be served

The Venice Beach Cotel is quite far from the Greyhound bus station. You will have to take two different buses to get there. It is easier to access if you are coming from the airport. However, the location of the hostel in itself is perfect! It is directly next to the beach and has a cafe that serves margaritas. There is a bus at the corner of the street that will get you to UCLA. But if you plan on visiting L.A., it is definitely better to have a car, as this city is really huge.

Each dorms sleeps four people. Some dorms have their own private bathroom but most use a shared common shower and toilet. There are also private rooms available. You need to bring your own towel/soap.

There is a cafe in the hostel where other backpackers can meet. This is definitely a social place where everyone speaks about their experience. At night, the cafe turns into a bring-your-own-beer bar with people there to chat. They offer free coffee, free games, and there are free books to read. Wi-Fi internet is not free, though. But you can also go in the cafe just below the hostel to get free internet.

Summary

This hostel is really perfect if you want to stay on Venice Beach while you are in L.A.. It is decently priced for the location and you will meet plenty of other friendly backpackers.

July 2008

How is SameSun Venice Beach rated on other websites?
SameSun Venice Beach Reviews from the Web
4   Great location, helpful staff, good fun I wanted to stay by the coast in LA and you don't get much closer to the beach than at SameSun Venice. You're right by the boardwalk and straight onto the sand. it is a long way to Downtown and Hollywood, so if that's your thing you'd be better off elsewhere. The rooms weren't spotless, but nothing terrible, and the sheets were clean and the bed comfortable. It had about as much space as you could reasonably expect in a four bed dorm. There's free wifi but it is pretty slow, and free breakfast but that appears just to be tea/coffee and toast. Better than nothing but I've been to plenty of hostels where the breakfast is free and a lot more exciting. The staff were really helpful and friendly, and the hostel runs activities every evening which make it good for meeting people.  , age 33, United Kingdom ()
4   Close to the action Me and my wife had a really good time at Samesun, it was close to LAX and right in the middle of Venice beach with everything within walking distance. There are plenty of convenience stores and places to eat whether they be cheap or more high priced. The bike hire right outside the door was awesome we paid $18 for a full days hire and we manged to ride all the way to either end of the bike track. It was a very social atmosphere and we met and partied with people from all around the world at the hostel, we had a private room with ensuite and we were very lucky to have a room facing the beach which was awesome. I would stay here again anytime I'm in LA.  , age 33, Australia ()
1   Nice location, poor hostel The staff were nice, after a couple of days. But be warned -- if you like to cook your own food, or don't like cigarette smoke, scratch this hostel off your list. The common area is smoking, and the smoke filters through the whole hostel. The "kitchen" has 2 plug-into-the-wall stove elements and plastic forks. The rooms are OK. They are resting on location as the selling point, but there are so many better hostels out there.  , australian ()
5   Great place to stay in the heart of Venice beach. I initially booked a bed for two days just to check it out and ended up staying two weeks. The staff are super friendly. The General Manager, Kerry, is the heart and soul of the whole operation and a real sweetheart. She upgraded me to an ocean view room gratis. A comfy bed, ocean view, and cool roommates made for a great experience. Great energy, great people, a really great place to stay.  , USA/ Ireland ()
1   Forget to change my reservation, charged me $90, and never refund me They forget to postpone my reservation in spite of they sent me a confirmation it had been changed. When we came in the hotel they had no room for us and charged us $90 because "we where supposed to come the day before." Then they admit this was their fault and told us we would be refund the $90 -- they never did. We sent fifteen-plus more emails and called them a couple of time, they almost never replied to email and didn't remember us! Don't stay here, they are not serious and not reliable!  , France ()
5   Just Badass I had the most amazing time in Venice, and its mostly because of this hostel. The people there were just awesome and friendly. everybody was like one big family and it's impossible for you to get bored! if you're planning on going to L.A., the Venice beach cotel is where you should stay! its just badass.  , Canada ()
5   Best Hostel we had on our West coast Roadtrip We traveled for two months all along the west coast and this hostel has been the best so far! The location is super awesome. You can see the beach from the lobby! The rooms were very clean (Daily Maid Service), we had a bathroom in our four-bed dorm. The staff were amazing as well. Very friendly and there is a party in the lobby everyday and you can drink and smoke in the lobby. Afterwards the staff takes you to the nearest pub/bar. The thing I liked most was the security. You have to ring the bell each time you enter and say your room number/name. Sometimes they even check your room key to make sure you're not a guest, which I really liked.  , Switzerland ()
5   Amazing Staff, amazing location! This is hands down the most accommodating hostel I have ever stayed at and I have been to many! The staff here are all Gems, and it seems to attract only good people as its unbelievably accommodating owner (Kerry) is a great judge of character. Their in house bar provides good entertainment and operates on a BYOB basis, consistently throwing themed holiday parties, even if it that holiday is months away! I recommend this hostel to anyone that enjoys, a low-cost beach-front location, good times, and good atmosphere!  , Canada ()