Sentrum Pensjonat Hostel

The Sentrum Pensjonat youth hostel is ideally located in the heart of Oslo and is a good value stop for any backpacker looking for a real bed with decent linen and a friendly atmosphere.

The hostel is centrally located and is only five minutes' walk from the central railway station. Once you've found your bearings and checked the map, it's easy to find. It's right in the heart of the city and although there are rumors of seedy nightlife plying its trade on the streets outside, we didn't see any of this on the several occasions we stayed -- the streets of Oslo seem relatively safe and friendly even at night. Despite being on a main city road the area is fairly quiet at night, so the road noise won't keep you awake.

If you are arriving by air, there is a high-speed train between the central station and the airport, which will cost you an arm and a leg but only takes about twenty minutes. If you're prepared to slum it with the locals, the commuter train takes about forty minutes for half the price.

This hostel provided actual beds (not bunks) in its rooms and they come with linen, pillows, and towels. All rooms also have their own small refrigerator and some have a small kitchenette with hotplates and water. Most rooms have four to six beds, but there are one or two semi-private, two-bed rooms. Each room has its own key but there are no individual lockers. There is a spacious luggage room beside reception if required.

The number of toilets and showers are a little low for the number of beds, but if it's not busy this isn't a problem. Showers are private, unisex cubicles and are clean and adequate with a place for clothes and room to change.

On the first floor, there is a large common room, two lounge suites, a large wooden table and chairs, pay internet, and two DVD-only televisions.

Along one wall of the common room is the kitchen. The kitchen is adequate for small numbers of people using it at the same time, but it would be advisable to plan your meals for off-peak times of the day to avoid waiting. There is no refrigerator in the kitchen -- use the one in your room.

The common room could be quite a good place to meet fellow travelers and discuss plans. This is a subdued but quite social hostel. There is a restaurant on the ground-floor where you can eat fairly cheaply that seems to have a relationship with the hostel, although is not strictly part of it. Otherwise there is a reasonably good supermarket in the railway station nearby.

Security

You will be given a code for the front door and a key to your room. There is a luggage room if you require that. Most of the hallways and common areas are monitored by security camera, which, although a little creepy, does mean that in theory you are safer here than elsewhere.

Summary

This is a good hostel with only a few quirks but is clean, friendly, spacious, and comfortable. Overall it is very good value for money and well worth considering.

July 2008

How is Sentrum Pensjonat Hostel rated on other websites?
5   I'd stay here again I stayed in a 5 person dorm room. It's close to trains, sights, the city centre and supermarkets The kitchen is good enough. The showers are big and have good flowing heads with the right temperature. The internet works really well. The staff were nice and helpful. The beds were comfortable and with the window open, it wasn't too hot. I'd stay here again for sure.  , age 26, Australia ()
3   Ok for a quick stop Location is very central and did us well for a quick stop between train rides. Reception was helpful and mercifully efficient after 30+ hours of plane travel. The rooms and bathrooms were poorly kept ... There seemed to be exposed wiring at the end of my bed, the lock on the shower door was broken. The room was a bit too hot for sleeping, but it's not often you get a heat wave in Oslo!  , age 39, Australian ()
4   Value for money is good, hostel is below average Actually the man at he reception was very kind and helpful. We had a problem during our checkin, our room was full. We moved to 4 people dorm instead of 6. Location is very central, easy to reach. Price is one of the cheapest. So it was good part about the hostel. Cleaning was not sufficient. Just before my check out, I saw a small bug on my bed. I couldnt sleep there if I didnt see it earlier. No kettle in kitchen. Some strange people (either homeless or refugees people) were sleeping in kitchen. I dont think they were there whole night but they were smelling amazingly bad and seem very dirty. If you sleep in airport, it will cost you pretty much the same because airport-city travel is also very expensive. So, even though hostel is not very clean and it is old, I think it is best you can find for that money.  , age 27, Poland ()
2   Dark, dirty Its a very old house, with dark rooms and a lot of dark old wood on the wall in the common area. The rooms are dirty, the beds old, the kitchen not well equipped and it smells not good in the whole house. There aren't many toilets and showers for so many people and they are dirty too. Positive is that it is really not far away from the train station.  ()
2   Not great I stayed only one night on my way out of Norway. This is a large hostel in a old building. It is a noisy neighbourhood with a strip club next door. The room itself was ok. The bed and bedding were comfortable and no bunk beds. The bathrooms and showers were decrepit and dirty. I didn't use the kitchen so I can't comment. Given that it is one of the cheaper hostels in Oslo and it is in a very convenient location near the train station, it was not a bad deal but I wouldn't want to stay here long.  , Canada ()
4   Good location good location, friendly staff. the hostel is a bit old. there are only 3 to 4 showers shared by the whole building.  , Hong Kong ()
1   Ripped off I stayed here at the beginning of 2011 and when I returned home and saw my bank statement I realised they had charged me for 2 nights when I only stayed one. I emailed them and at first they said they would look into it. When I heard nothing further I tried multiple times to email them again and they never replied. I would warn everyone to be careful of this hostel. I gave them a number of opportunities to fix what I assumed was a mistake and months later they still refuse to answer my emails, so I've had to pay an extra $70 for a night I didn't stay there. Extremely disappointed.  , Australia ()
1   The worst hostel I've ever seen! The only positive thing is its central location. The room was very dirty and cold, with a lot of drafts entering from the window (and this isn't nice when outside the temperature is -15). There was only one toilet and one shower for about 30 people, and they were bad smelling and dirty. I would not recommend this hostel to anybody!  , Italian ()
Sentrum Pensjonat Hostel Reviews from the Web