Hashimi Hotel & Hostel

Buried within in the souq of Jerusalem's Old City is El Hashimi Hotel. This hotel is right in the heart of the Old City with an excellent location. You can easily walk anywhere in the Old City (Dome of the Rock, Church of the Holy Sepulcher). Plus, the environment around the Damascus gate, with the souq, fruit stands, and constant crowds is quite remarkable. El Hashimi Hotel is extremely safe in the daytime, but be careful walking around the Old City at night, because the marketplace shuts down. Also, the noise level around the hostel is pretty intense, so be prepared to sleep on the time schedule of the marketplace.

It exudes Palestinian culture, and has a great atmosphere. The vaulted ceilings are quite nice, as is the dining room. Most guests really appreciate the rooftop terrace, which has a view of the beautiful skyline of Jerusalem. You cannot miss the bright lights of the Dome of the Rock at nighttime.

Their website description is a bit misleading, as the hotel is not as luxurious as portrayed. The bedrooms are average sized, and although they are generally clean, the décor is not new. The bathrooms are average as well for a hostel. Showers might be a bit unconventional (no shower head, but a hose instead). There are staff members constantly cleaning.

The morning breakfast is delicious -- specifically the fresh crepes, which disappear quickly. There is a huge variety of Palestinian food, and the hotel is constantly refilling. Also there is a sense of community in the morning since everyone gathers for the breakfast.

Make sure you pay in the form of currency that you agree upon booking. The exchange rate is neither defined nor advertised and appears to adjust according to the desk clerks' fancy.

March 2007

How is Hashimi Hotel & Hostel rated on other websites?
Hashimi Hotel & Hostel Reviews from the Web
5   Incredible Rooftop View Staff at Hashimi were really friendly and a great help to me finding my way around Jerusalem for the first time. The room (I took a single) was also great with a view of the alleyways below, great linen and a tv with al jazeera. most of all though their excitement on my arrival, about showing me the view from the roof, was charming. Both mornings I took breakfast (a delicious plate of houmous, vegetables, arabic sweets and mint tea) from the rooftop, astounded by the panaroramic view of the old city.  , British ()
5   Comfortable, Accessible, Friendly We stayed in the male dorm which has a great view of the city. There are no mixed dorms, and it is not a party hostel (which we tend to go to) but it's definitely a nice retreat. Bathrooms are clean, staff are friendly, breakfast is great (especially on the rooftop with the view). I had my laundry done there and it was very prompt. The staff were always ready to assist in any way necessary and was always courteous. I would definitely stay here again.  , Canada ()
3   Distinctly average, can be noisy, some unfriendly staff. My wife and I stayed here December 2007. There was a Muslim party from the U.K. and they were extremely noisy all through the night. The hotel is open plan and can be noisy anyway. The rooms are quite clean however and are cleaned daily with towel change. Our shower was ineffective and a complaint didn't rectify the fault. Some staff were unhelpful but one member of staff, a lady, was helpful and friendly. The location is very good for sightseeing and is safe. Make sure of the price as it seems to be at the whim of the receptionist and may or may not include breakfast.  , British ()
3  Make sure you pay in the form of currency that you agree upon booking. We originally asked the desk clerk if it would be ok to pay our U.S. dollars bill in shekels. He said it would be the same rate, regardless of the currency. But we found the money exchange system to be quite unfair, when we tried to pay in shekels. When we disagreed with the outrageous exchange rate, the desk clerk told us to find an exchanger in the city (this was at 6 o'clock on a Friday). Luckily, we found a place with a much better rate and paid El HaShimi in U.S. dollars. Still, we were very disappointed with that extremely negative experience after our pleasant stay. By the way, is the breakfast still free?  ()
5  The best hostel I ever visit with a very good price. I was there with my son and friend for eight nights and I really liked it. The atmosphere was wery good and the hostel was wery clean. The best thing was to sit on the roof and realaxing over old town of Jerusalem. I can really recommend it.  ()
5  This hotel is in the heart of the Muslim quarter. It is clean and the staff is generous and friendly. They assist in scheduling guides and tours. The breakfast is outstanding!! The view from the dining room is beautiful. The rooftop terrace is magical. This is the perfect place to experience the Old City. We have children and felt absolutely safe here as well as the rest of the Old City. When you get there, ask for Saleh. He has been there since a small child.  ()
3  It is in the heart of the Muslim Quarter and the entrance is from one of the main streets so is fairly easy to locate if you enter through the Damascus Gate. I stayed there two nights in a single room. The room was clean but very small and the tiny bathroom required clever maneuvering to accomplish one's tasks. The views from the top outdoor patio are spectacular. The breakfast was fairly modest but adequate; however, only instant coffee is provided. The kitchen is a bit questionable for my tastes but does provide a refrigerator, microwave and the like; however, numerous inexpensive restuarants provide many eating choices nearby. Rami and all the staff are very courteous and helpful. Two excellent internet cafes are located nearby. For a hostel, it was satisfactory. Though if the younger crowd are looking for excitement in the hostel at night or in the surrounding Quarter, I don't think this is the place. I met many older travelers here who were very pleased with the hotel.  ()
5  THE BEST HOSTEL IN JERUSALEM !! Cheap, clean,perfect location, nice staff and fantastic view from the roof. I will come back !!  ()