HI - Nice Camélias Hostel

It’s 1:30 a.m. on a balmy night in Nice -- we are sitting outside at HI - Nice Camélias Hostel on an enclosed porch, drinking ice cold sodas from the bar, using free wireless internet access, and watching our laundry through the window. We love this hostel!

The location of the hostel is off the main thoroughfares, and the provided directions are a bit obscure. From the train station, you turn left and head for Jean Medecin (the next main street) and turn right. When you see the giant “Nice Etoile” shopping centre on the left hand side of the road, turn left and then right immediately behind the shopping centre. The hostel is a lovely multistory building down a small side-road (Rue Spitalieri) on the left hand side.

The hostel is within walking distance of everything fabulous about Nice, and the walk is full of beautiful shops and plazas. There is also regular public transportation on the main roads. The area feels very safe and quiet, both during the day and at night.

Check in and out is fast and friendly. The staff at this hostel are warm, well-informed, eager to help, and always accommodating. Guests must be members of Hostelling International, but if you are not already a member, they will provide you with a membership card right there (you can buy a one-year membership). We highly recommend phoning the hostel to make enquiries, as they don’t always respond to emails.

The room areas are full of beautiful colors inspired by the romance of the Riviera. The marble stairs have charming mosaics and all the rooms we saw had French windows for a welcome breeze (but beware the mosquitoes). Our sheets and blanket were very scratchy and stiff, but the mattress and pillow were plush and comfortable (we would have had an amazing night’s rest if we’d brought our own sheets). There are small cubby lockers (nothing big enough for luggage) and rolling storage shelves under the beds. Rooms must be vacated midday for cleaning (from around 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.).

There are lots of individual bathrooms, each complete with toilet, sink, and shower. Although this provides a nice bit of privacy, the showers being tucked in a corner of the room without a curtain means that the entire floor in the bathrooms are often wet. The water pressure in the shower is good, but the water never gets completely hot (even during off-peak hours).

There is a very handy lift off the reception area. There is also a large, fully equipped communal kitchen (open late). There is a secure outdoor porch area for smokers (no smoking inside). The on-site laundry facilities are modern, clean, quiet, open twenty-four hours, and relatively inexpensive. The entire ground floor is full of vibrant colors and artwork, with plenty of tables and chairs for long conversations or accessing the free wireless internet (there are also computers available for a small charge). Small lockers (just right for passports and wallets) are available for a reasonable price by the reception area.

There is a small bar where you can get inexpensive drinks (beers, sodas, water), even well into the night. The breakfast is the typical fresh bread and jams, cereal, and coffee or tea. The coffee drinks are from a machine and are absolutely fantastic, we had several refills.

Summary

We had such a lovely stay at the Nice Les Camélias. It is an incredible value, and a very welcoming atmosphere. The staff and the other guests are respectful and friendly. The amenities are numerous and inexpensive or free. We were probably more sorry to leave the hostel than to leave Nice itself!

May 2010

How is HI - Nice Camélias Hostel rated on other websites?
1   Not bad but got a final surprise Breakfast very simple. Old staff. Very little rooms. The last day someone stole my mobile phone I had the train leaving for italy and not ever the time to call police. Cheap in 2006, but I paid much the leaving day.  , Italy ()
4   Can't fault it. Pretty much nothing wrong with this place, and it is not very hard to find, as long as you where to look for it.  , UK ()
4   Best hostel I've seen! This hostel is seriously the best hostel I've ever been to. It is really clean, really safe, it has the perfect location ever -- ten minutes from train station, ten minutes from the beach, it's reasonably priced, the staff is nice. They offer internet which is pretty expensive but there are a lot of cheaper internet cafes in the town. I strongly recommend this hostel to you!  , Canada ()
5  This hostel was one of my favourites during my tour of europe last summer. It was nice and bright -- very cheerful! It had a kitchen, lockers. Everyone was very friendly, staff and visitors! I met many people here, and it resulted in some very interesting conversations. Laundry was decent. Rooms were pretty tight, but they were comfortable! Highly recommended!  , Canada ()
5  This hostel is great! This is a big hostel, spotlessly clean. the staff is great and I met some great people there. Furthermore, the hostel is in the center of Nice, close to the beach, to the station, to the mall. well, Nice isn't big though, but this hostel really has a very good location. There is a quite big kitchen, lockers, hot shower, breakfast is fine. I recommend this hostel to everyone!  , Serbia ()
3  This hostel is both great and a little depressing. If you're traveling with friends, then I would say this hostel is perfect for you. It is very clean, great facilities including big kitchen, laundry room, internet, and breakfast. The staff is extremely helpful, I found. The bathrooms and showers are clean and some of the rooms on the upper floors have great views. However, being a lone traveler at the time, I found that every night, my roommates were always some exclusive group of friends traveling together. And the atmosphere downstairs isn't really too social. It's just a little too big. So, I was well fed, clean, and slept well, but didn't find my stay there to be really that memorable.  ()
4  I think Anya, the young woman who works at the cafe, is wonderful and beautiful. She is sweet and intelligent, a true gem of a person. Anyone who goes to this hostel should try to meet her as she is an enlightened being. The hostel experience was great.  ()
3  This hostel is well located. The dorms and other facilities are clean. However, there is no locker and few space to put your stuff. The breakfast which is included is good.The internet is too expensive. You must have a HI card to be able to stay in this hostel.  ()