Pension-Albergue Fernando

What we really liked about this place was the location, right off Las Ramblas in the Gothic quarter so you are in the heart of the city. We stepped out the door and felt like we were in the middle of life in Barcelona.

Pension Fernando also has a very pension/hostal like feel rather than simply a hostel. This means you get a real mix of people staying. There are dorm rooms and you can actually book out the entire room so if you have a group of friends or family it is ideal. We noticed there were people that had done this. Alternatively they have private rooms. These rooms are comfortable with good beds and bathrooms.

The reception area does not really encourage interaction, although the staff are friendly. There is a nice little breakfast room with a television where you can sit and meet and talk to other people. It was nice to know we could come back and hang out there if it got cold outside in winter and still meet and talk to people.

We would definitely recommend this place as both clean and comfortable.

by Jo
March 2005
How is Pension-Albergue Fernando rated on other websites?
Pension-Albergue Fernando Reviews from the Web
4   Excellent Location, 100% recommended hostel I stayed here in October 2008, and traveled with one other female friend. Perfect location in the Gothic quarter, close to metro stop to other destinations. Sheets are included (good comfortable beds), lockers provided, we had to share a common bathroom with the floor, which was a little awkward at times to make sure the door opening to the hallway was closed while changing. But otherwise showers and toilets were fine and clean. Only problem we had personally was very noisy boys next door, and our door was really hard to shut. Reception guys didn't have a personality, but helpful and informative all the same. But we stayed in a six-bed female dorm, and had lovely travelers the whole time. All in all I would 100% recommend this place. Don't eat at the restaurants on the hostel's street, they are a tourist trap and rip off. There are great tapas places close by but not on the main tourist streets. Also I recommend going to the Travel bar, which is a five-minute walk from the hostel for the free walking tour and spanish cooking class amongst other activities. Do the walking tour on the first day of your stay -- it gives you good ideas on places to go see for the rest of the trip.  , Australia ()
5  The best place to stay in barca. You will be in the heart of the old town with many bars and restaurants. to rambla it's about two or three minutes to go. you can visit every sight by foot. the rooms a very clean and with a.c. try the tapa bar on placa real on the corner to the street which leaves to rambla!  ()
3  this hostel has a great location right off las ramblas and it's a pretty good alternative if you're looking for a bed to crash in at 6 in the morning anyway bring your earplugs for the street is one of noisiest in the very centre of the gothic area.You have to watch out after yourself for the area is not really safe at night.The staff is friendly enough and there are good chances to meet travellers all over the world.It could be a little cheaper but i think it's the location which makes it this expensive. Not really indicated for quiet holidays!!  ()
5  This place is great! We were a group of 60 here and it was perfect for visiting Barcelona. Don't think I had any animals in my bed and the bathroom was OK - ÖI never found the kitchen but there was a room where you could eat your "take away" breakfast.(Starbucks almost next door) I'll go again I promise  ()
1  Very good location but the beds have little insects, cleanliness of the bathroom is non-existent, and here's a warning: simulating a mistake, they try to charge twice if you pay with Visa.  ()
5  This is the best hostel that we found in Las Ramblas. Everyone is super nice and it felt like being at home. The staff are extremely nice and helpful. I plan on staying there again next year.  ()
5  This hostel was great, and it's location was PERFECT!!! It's right next to Las Ramblas, great shopping, the Metro, great sangria, etc. The hostel was very clean, and a good price. My only complaint is about waiting to use the bathroom. There was only one on each floor, but that's the price one pays for staying in hostels. I recommend this place to anyone. Also it was a great deal. I think it was 46 euros for a double.  ()
4  I stayed at this hostel in May and it was really good. The rooms were spacious and clean when we got there. Just make sure to leave the room before 11 a.m. so that the maid can come and tidy up your bathroom…something we never did so we had a dirty one! It's in a great location just off of Las Ramblas and there are tons of stores and restaurants around. The front desk staff were pretty friendly, too. Only problem is that it's not a place to meet other travelers. Overall a good hostel that I would go back to.  ()