My husband and I used to live in St. Maarten. Our favorite place to get away was Saba and we always stayed at El Momo cottages. Its a wonderful place -- very quiet, very beautiful, very lush, and has gorgeous views. The individual cottages are so cute -- tucked away up in the jungle. The shared shower is outside and comes from solar-heated water in a bag -- quite an experience. El Momo is off the road up a steep set of stairs, so if you take a taxi, they will drop you off at the bottom of the stairs and you will have to walk up. Angelika and Oliver are wonderful and don't leave without trying their homemade breakfast. We love the homemade natural yogurt.
El Momo Cottages Reviews from the Web
I loved these Cottages! Hidden on top of a hill secure for quiet night where you only hear crickets and frogs, vuews of night sky, and direct view to sunset from the pool deck and the Mt Scenery to check if its the right day to hike it.
Short walk from the center of Windward, town with many restos, bars, bakery Bizzy Bee, two supermarkets, art shops. Best price on the island, the staff is knowledgeable, super friendly and happy to call you a cab or make you breakfast in am (8.50$).
EL MOMO COTTAGES
peace - nature - silence
Nestled high up on a green, Caribbean mountain the place to 'free your mind' awaits. Nature lovers who enjoy priceless amenities like tropical flowers, palm trees, hammocks overlooking a deep blue sea and warm hospitality will find El Momo to be the perfect retreat.
A set of stairs leads to six small wooden cottages and a small apartment each surrounded by tropical gardens. The whole property is located on a hillside above another property, so it's quite a climb! The airy 'one room cottages' are built of warm wood and decorated with original artwork. Each cottage offers an amazing ocean views from its terrace and provides a private atmosphere. Handmade wooden furniture and individual colorful fabrics add a touch of Caribbean happiness. Mosquitoes are very rare, so you can sit on the terrace enjoying the sunset without any repellent. No safes or keys are necessary, because crime simply does not exist.
El Momo is small, individual, earth-kind, quiet, very charming and a little 'Robinson Crusoe like' with plenty of unspoiled nature. A little piece of paradise where time moves slowly and attention is paid to details. Experience the busy hummingbirds as they fly from flower to flower, the little black dotted Saban lizard puffing its yellow chest, or the whistling tree frogs in the star filled night. Sleeping well is easy as the altitude climate cools down at night. In addition to the breathtaking sea views you can enjoy fantastic ocean sunsets from October to March. The wooden swimming pool deck is built around African Tulip Trees which provide natural shade for the cozy lounge area. An eco friendly philosophy complements the beautiful natural environment and keeps tourists footsteps small. El Momo is facing towards south-west which provides sunshine all day long and the hill in the back protects from too much wind. the hotel is a tranquil heaven where a maximum of 14 guests rest and enjoy nature at its best.
We take the time to provide background information and give tips concerning activities and dining. We work closely together with Sea Saba Dive Shop and Saba Deep Dive Shop and can assist you in arranging your diving desires. Do you rather stay above water? We will explain you all you need to know about the many hiking trails on the island. But if you want to have a more relaxing day we can also make a booking for a spa treatment, a yoga class or a workshop at Jobeans Glass Art Studio.
El Momo offers a wireless dsl service for guest who bring their own laptop.
Saba is an amazing paradise for nature lovers, divers, hikers, artists and people who just like a safe place to unwind - no pressure and far away from the mad rush of 'the real world'. Saba has not much night life, no big resorts, no casinos, no big cruise ships, no sandy beaches (thus no mass tourism), no fast food chaines, but spectacular unique marine life, amazing rain forest, a unique historic architecture style and very friendly people. This island is a rough and steep beauty. You will feel like sitting in a time machine and driving back many years. The high altitude climate is very pleasant and cools down at night. During winter season, the night temperature is as low as 68F/20C degrees.
- the El Momo Breakfast $7.50
- extra bed or baby bed $10
- airport taxi transfer $15 one way for 1-4 persons
- rental car from $45 per day or $270 per week
All rooms have sea view, from Oct-March even ocean SUNSET!!! All bathrooms have hot water showers and most showers provide sea view. During the winter season, we require a minimum stay of three nights. Exceptions are possible in case of last minute bookings.
We add NO mandatory service charge. You are the one deciding at the end of your vacation if you appreciated our personal service or not. The sales taxes are also paid by us, we include them in all shop items, drinks and food. We do ask you to donate $1 per person per night as a voluntary maintenance fee for the national park.
We always prefer cash US Dollars or traveller cheques, but we do accept Visa and Mastercard. Anyhow, on Saba sometimes there are additional fees charged for credit card payments, so better bring some extra cash. Please do not bring any Euro or EC Cards, since those are not accepted.
The El Momo breakfast is very popular and includes homemade bread, a fresh fruit plate, cheese, eggs any style, homemade natural yoghurt with granola, orange juice, butter, marmelade (enjoy our famous homemade banana marmelade!), honey, good coffee and a great selection of tea. Also available are choices of sandwiches, fruit salad, ice cream, homemade cake, local fruit, freshly squeezed juices, cocktails and once a week we offer a homemade specialty dinner. The two-course dinner offers a choice of fish/seafood or vegetarian and cost $16 to $20 including tax & service.
Sunny greetings from the big rock!
Location and Contact
• Coming to Saba you have to go through St. Maarten. A number of airlines fly to St. Maarten, you can find their information on the airports website: www.pjiae.com and a number of the airlines all also listed on the links page of the El Momo website. • From St. Maarten it is only a 12 minute flight with Winair (www.fly-winair.com) to Saba. • The ferry 'The Edge' travels to Saba from Sint Maarten on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, departing Sint Maarten at 9:00 a.m. for the 1,5 hour trip and returns from Saba, departing Fort Bay harbor at 3:45 p.m., arriving back on Sint Maarten at 5:00 p.m. • one way: $45 adults/ $23 kids 2 -12 • roundtrip: $90 adults / $46 kids 2 -12 • additional port fees: dep. St. Maarten $7, dep. Saba $5, roundtrip $12 • Check in is at 8 a.m. on St. Maarten and departure sharp at 9 a.m. • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.stmaarten-activities.com • The new ferry 'Dawn II' travels from Saba to St. Maarten in the mornings of Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. The Dawn returns to Saba in the late afternoon departing St. Maarten Phillipsburg (Chesterfields Marina) around 5pm, arriving on Saba around 7pm (in the dark). The price is $45 per one way trip plus $5 fees plus extra fees for luggage. For exact pricing and schedule please double check the website or contact Craig oder Jaime Buchanan: • email: email@example.com Website: www.sabactransport.com • 00(599) 416-3671 • 00(599) 416-5303 • 00(599) 416-6051
El Momo Cottages is listed on the following booking sites: