OOPS! Boutique Hostel

The Hostelz.com Review

Overall, OOPS! Boutique Hostel is a good hostel that's clean and tidy throughout. It also has a nice location.

The hostel feels slightly outside the city centre, enough so to be quiet, but also close enough to be easily connected to all the attractions of Paris. It is approximately a fifty-meter walk to the Les Gobelins Metro Station and a four-hundred-meter walk to the Place d'Italie Metro Station. Between these two stations, the metro lines 5, 6 and 7 are serviced, which (with connections) cover the whole of Paris. The hostel is easy to find from both Paris city and Charles de Gaulle Airport by taking a metro to either of the two stops mentioned previously, and walking along Avenue Des Gobelins. Within walking distance of the hostel are a cinema, cafés, restaurants (of different cuisines and price brackets), french bakeries, and pharmacies.

We stayed in a private room, which is extremely small, but we guess that is to be expected in Paris with "French-sized" beds. The room is very clean and the beds are made well. We initially thought the blankets were quite thin, but during the night it turned out that the heating in the room was very nice, so the blankets are more than adequate. The bathroom is a private en suite
for the room that is large and well equipped, with heated towel rails, a hairdryer, and power points. The bathroom (and the room for that matter) is very modern and well renovated, with up-to-date fixtures. The rooms are all located in a steep formation in a narrow building, but the hostel has both an elevator and wide stairs.

There is one common area for the hostel, which is a combined kitchenette and dining area with a TV playing music videos and an outdoor patio for smoking. The area is quite small, so subsequently it is quite a subdued hostel and definitely not much of a party hostel. The people are friendly and hostel doesn't appear to attract creepy/sketchy types. In the common room there are also two computers available for use for free. There is also Wi-Fi access, which reaches throughout the whole hostel. Breakfast (also served for free) is offered in the common room; the spread -- not just a croissant and a coffee, as per many other European hostels -- is generous and more than adequate for a busy traveler.

This is definitely not a huge place (which can be a good thing) and doesn't have a big atmosphere for partying, but travelers there are friendly and we felt safe in the hostel and in the local area. Customer service was good -- not exceptional, though.
by Henry L
Private double room
Private bathroom
Common area & small kitchenette
Local directions

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "OOPS! Boutique Hostel" at 50 Avenue des Gobelins.)

50 Avenue des Gobelins, 13è - Chinatown Area, Paris, Île-de-France, France
+33 1 47 07 47 00
+33 (01).

How is OOPS! Boutique Hostel rated on other websites?

No soap? No toilet paper? No refund!
I was supposed to stay at Oops! for 5 nights but left after the first day because I couldn't stand it. Not only is there was no soap in the bathroom (disgusting) or toilet paper, but the beds are so uncomfortable and squeaky! I also made the big mistake of choosing to stay in a coed room while because that was all that was available at the time ... I guess I figured there would be other women in the room but instead found out I was in a room with three male travelers who were all together. I've never felt so uncomfortable and unsafe in my life. Unfortunately, Oops! requires you to pay in all cash upfront, and has a no-refunds policy. They refused to refund even a few nights of my stay, which amounted to me losing several hundred Euros. Don't stay here if you think you might not like it, because like me you'll be sh*t out of luck.
Age 30, USA
The hostel was very clean and the staff were friendly. Although the common area is a bit small, it just encouraged people to get to know each other and the atmosphere was great because of it.
Age 30, New Zealand
Everything was awesome. This was my favorite hostel I've stayed in -- and I've stayed in a lot. Free wi-fi and breakfast, super close to the metro. The decor is absolutely lovely and it's in a cute Haussmanian building (aka the classic Parisian buildings with the cute wrought-iron balconies). It was peaceful and quiet. And the location is fabulous; one minute away from the metro and in a great area (near Mouffetard, which is one of the most charming quarters of Paris). I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever except for the price, which was a bit high.
Age 21, USA
Clean, convenient location, nice staff
There is no lock-out any more. My room was clean, quiet and even hat a view. Breakfast (served from 7h30 to 9h30 only) is a slice of baked up baguette, a croissant, some serials, and filter coffee. There are some computer to surf the net and WIFI in my room was ok too. Why i don't give 5 stars is that it is a big place, that is for my taste a bit too polished and is lacking atmosphere and the social life a hostel should include for my taste. For just a short night and a shower it absolutely ok.
Age 29, austria
I had found this hostel on a travel website for my 22 yr. old daughter to celebrate her bday in Paris. She said the staff was rude, the place was filthy, their reservations were all botched up, she saw her roommate's food that was left uneaten placed BACK on the buffet line. I don't think that she had anything stolen, but she may not be sure. I'm afraid to ask her about bites/bedbugs as the bed was dirty, there was no top sheet, and the only blanket that was provided was scratchy and covered with someone else's (NOT HERS!!!!) hairs. Gross, unsanitary, and less than 1 star!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!
unacceptable response to problems with room
both lights and the phone in our 4 bed dorm didn't work and the door didn't always lock when closed as it should.the staff member on duty was not able to fix the problem. we were told to report it to the manager via e-mail since she was not around yet 2 e-mails to them produced a sorry but nothing could be done to compensate for our inconvenience. needless to say we stayed elsewhere our second night.
Cute but boring
The staff at the hostel was not very helpful at all. Upon arrival they provided no advice about what to see, transportation, and did not even have a map to give us. The common room is just a couple of tables which do not even begin to seat all of the guests at breakfast time. The breakfast was not very good - a completely dried out baguette and croissant - but could be salvaged by eating cereal and drinking juice. The common bathrooms available for guests during lockout times are FILTHY - they do not seem to be able to flush and are constantly plugged and overflowing and are WAY to gross to even use. There is a daily lockout for cleaning but I don't think the bathroom in our room was cleaned more than once during our four day stay. The bunk beds are very flimsy and rock and creak with anyones slightest move. There is no social atmosphere to this hostel whatsoever and you are not even allowed to bring in outside alcohol so it is a completely dry hostel. The decor is pretty cool however and it seemed clean regarding sheets and rooms and such. Also the location was good because it is right by two metro stations, a bank, cheap food options, a grocery store, and you can walk to the river if you are feeling ambitious.
OK... quiet
We had a four person room with a private bathroom, the breakfast (included in the price) was the best we'd had, and the internet was free. However, it wasn't a good place to meet people -- it's a remodeled hotel so there are a lot of small rooms that hold four people. There's no kitchen to speak of (there's an area where they prepare breakfast but I don't think guests are allowed to use it) and the staff aren't very helpful. Also it's expensive and out water pressure was awful. Overall, it wasn't a particularly fun place, so if you're looking for a hostel where you're going to meet other people and hang out in the common room in the evening, I'd go elsewhere.

Rate OOPS! Boutique Hostel