Bath Backpackers Hostel, Bath

6.9

Bath Backpackers Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com Hostelworld

How is Bath Backpackers Hostel rated on booking websites?

Bath Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Nice and friendly

Very nice hostel with a friendly staff.

Aurelie
2015-06-30
Age 63 | Canadian

The worst hostel I've ever been in

My experience at this hostel was the worst possible. I have no problem with old or classic buildings, but they have to be well maintained. This hostel is old, ugly, and very poor preserved. The reception clerk was not very kind or solicitous. The kitchen is big but is filthy and disorganized. There was only one basin toilet per floor (all very dirty), and the one in the top floor was not in use. The only shower room was in the basement and it looked like a medieval dungeon. There were only three shower heads on the male bathroom (all very dirty). The lights were automatic and they turned off in the middle of the shower. My room was on the top floor so I had to climb 4 floors if I want to take a shower. To enter you room they give you a tiny piece of paper with a huge password that have to be input. If you lose this piece of paper you can't enter your room. It's a terrible system. Why not invest in KEYS?? My bedroom was for four people but it was incredibly small. Very dark room; poor ventilated; broken window; lockers that can't even fit a small backpack; ridiculously low ceiling, with timber beams 20 centimetres above your head. If you slept on the top bunk you barely can raise your head. Only two plugs for four guests. Horrible holes in the walls. Don't EVER come to this place!

Marcio
2015-04-25
Age 25 | Brazil

Not bad

Really close to bus station and train station, nice staffs, but a little noisy in early morning.

In
2014-07-02
Age 26

Lot of atmosphere, great staff

This is a hostel with a lot of atmosphere when there are a guests (weekends and holidays). If you book here in week days you'll notice that the hostel is empty: just some staff and some workers are there. Clean bathrooms and showers, complete kitchen and two great common rooms full of books and films, with Sky TV and plenty of space. And the most important -- the hostel is located in the Bath city center.

Ivan G.
2014-05-05
Age 30 | Spain

Average hostel in bath

This hostel was average. Wifi was included in the common areas. I really liked their quiet policy. You have to put down a deposit that you get back if you don't disturb the other guests. Nice kitchen. Also a great location and had a place to hang out late if you didn't want to go to bed.

Jana
2013-07-25
Age 21 | USA

Good for socialising

I stayed there for about 6 months, worst things about it were showers on the bottom floor, and appears a little dirty but doesnt seem unhygienic. Bath is one of the safest town/cities in UK by far, I always felt safe in Bath all hours of any day/night. Sometimes they organize pub crawls and its a great night out, definitely recommend Bath and this Hostel.

John
2010-02-13
NZ

Avoid at all costs

This hostel was filthy. We were given beds with used bed sheets! The staff were unfriendly and unhelpful with all our enquiries. They are only interested in your money. The area was central but not very safe. As a Brit I would like to say please avoid if you want to enjoy your stay in bath, it would give you the wrong impression of this wonderful city.

sharon
2008-10-07
British

Funky, but great

we stayed there for two nights in a ten female room. First of all, it looked a little bit scary, but the roommates were very open and friendly. we've got now E-Mail address from all over the world. The staff was friendly too and very helpful. And the thing we liked the most was there was music in the shower! I've never seen that before! It's a fact, it isn't a four-star hotel, but it's cheap and worth its money. Whenever I go back to England, I'll try to visit this hostel again!

gremseli
2007-07-11
switzerland

Bath Backpackers Hostel Reviews from the Web

Not very clean but can overlook it for the price and location. Nice people. Lockers fit small items.

arYP0rozTeWlVBLa
2022-08-02

The building was a little hard to find, since the sign was quite worn and posted on a small paper on the door. Once there, check in was simple and easy, staff was friendly. Bathrooms on the upper floors were a little grimy with old soap spray on the mirror but the bathrooms on the bottom floor were better. The showers seemed quite clean as well on the bottom floor. Rooms were bit cramped but clean and the area was not the quietest, but also quite torable since near the station

ajinxeu7010
2022-07-27

I was a solo traveler staying in the 8 bed girls dorm.

The toilets are *not* in the room but in the corridor and thereis only one toilet for the whole floor (men and women). The showers are dpwn in the basement and is not so safe as there is no lock on ladies showers

Overall the rooms did not feel clean and did smell.

The beds were comfy and even got a free towel.

But expect for the great location would not recommend.

maayaniraye2644
2022-07-20

Hostel wasnt very clean. Rooms were quite cramped. Toilet facilities were not very clean and were quite broken. Not worth the money we paid.

amyhickeryx
2022-07-16

I was lucky to meet a very friendly group of travellers in the girl's dorm, and very much enjoyed my time there. The kitchen and common area were nice but could get a little crowded. The shower was well functioning and clean, the toilets were a little more hit and miss but still nice

wangchuanqi173882
2022-06-26

Meh. Its a good location but i would say thats the only good thing about it. The staff were rude upon entry, and the rules before coming to the hostel were very confusing. We had flies in our room during the day, and the toilet kept clogging

clairevpeters7746
2022-06-25

Not really a hostel vibe. Many longstayers. Common room is a bit small. Location is perfect.

dutchguy1
2022-06-18

Bath Backpackers is perfectly located in the town centre of bath. The staff was incredibly kind and communicative before and during our stay. Would definitely love to stay there again. :)

sofiaelena9956505
2022-06-17

An awesome hostel right in the middle of Bath, couldnt be better!! The beds are comfortable, the price is incredible, and the location makes it easy to explore the city all day and night. The showers and bathrooms are clean, and the kitchen is free to use for most of the day. Really helps with saving some money! Overall I highly recommend this hostel to anyone traveling to Bath!

blantagne2287
2022-06-13

The location is literally the only good thing, and I can safely say it's not worth it. The rooms are packed with way too many beds and that's by hostel standards. It absolutely stinks and has 0 ventilation, no light gets in either.

The shower looks about as appealing as prison showers, and the prison ones are probably cleaner.

There's no boxes to store anything, so you've got to pay 4 every day to have luggage stored by the desk manager.

Easily the worst place I've stayed while traveling.

ricozepplin8093
2022-06-09

The place was okay as far as hostels go. My only real complaint was the cleanliness. It was quite filthy in the common areas

azulmakura3055
2022-06-08

Bath is amazing and so is this hostel!

kyahballard333179
2022-05-27

This whole hostel is absolutely filthy. It seems like they have never cleaned it. The floors are dirty everywhere, there is an awful smell in the kitchen and common room and my room stank of vomit. They told me they couldn't so luggage storage, but when I came back to check-in, I saw that they stored the luggage of the group in front of me. Overall, terrible experience, I do not recommend this place.

a5MjdhueioPpwjdi
2022-05-21

In the essentials it's fine - comfy, clean bed, hot shower and well-equipped kitchen. Excellent central location and staff are nice. However the decor is very tired, chairs torn in the common room, floors (and everything else) in the bathrooms are uneven. Dorms and bathroom floors are rarely swept or vacuumed, if at all so are dirty. Lack of power outlets, coat hooks and waste basket in the dorms is inconvenient. Showers are in the basement and overall few facilities for a lot of people to share

willvanderbyl
2022-04-30

Really great location, bedding was really clean and comfortable. Outside of the bedrooms some of the bathrooms were a little gross with wet floors that didnt smell great. Staff were friendly, its fine for just a night. The bedroom was meant to have a lock on it but it was just open the whole time which I didnt love either but the front door is secure

madelinelcullen991
2022-04-16

This is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in in my life! Its was so disgustingly dirty we considered leaving as soon as we arrived! The room was so dirty, there were wrappers, used tissues, other people belongings left behind and peoples fingers nails on the floor, clearly the room had not been cleaned! My duvet was covered in chewing gum on the inside and the bedding in general was horrific! Overall an absolutely terrible experience and I will not return even if I was paid!!!

chloe-wakely9241
2022-04-08

Good location and price but needs updating / refurb. No sockets in room and just extension lead in common room, not many toilets and taps broken in bathroom

slonge
2022-03-25

Everything was perfect, great staff, facilities ect. Only thing was would have loved one or two more plug sockets in our room as our room for 4 only had 2 plugs. However everything else was amazing I would 100% recommend! Thank you :)

igreene
2022-03-18

The guy I met at reception was lovely, although I did only see him when checking in. The hostel is right across from a nice carpark that costs 15 for 12h and is free between 8pm and 8am, and easily accessible from the town. The Jane Austin dorm door doesn't lock, but the hostel was nice overall.

deannanewman04129
2022-03-01

It was a good hostel! You need a code to get into the main door and the bells werent working so I had to wait until someone got there to get into reception, but that was the only issue I had. The people actually spent time in the common room which was nice to meet people. Im a solo female traveler and I felt safe, I was in the female dorm and made friends with the girls in there so we went out and got dinner and whatnot together. Overall great!

youngelle20226664
2022-02-18

Bath Backpackers is the most centrally located and friendliest hostel in the Roman city of Bath. The hostel is in a 300 year old building built over 4 levels, rich with character and bulging with charm, yet this hostel has all the comforts and equipment you have come to expect.

Bath Backpackers is the best situated hostel in the whole of Bath. Only a 2 minute walk from both the train and bus stations and even closer to the Roman Baths and Bath Abbey. Staying at Bath Bathpackers is the ideal way to get the most out of your visit to the city.

Nothing is too much trouble, our world renowned, knowledgeable staff will give you advice on the best bars, cafes, clubs and restaurants to take in during your stay in Bath.

Bath is a multi storey building, complete with a basement party dungeon, separate kitchen and TV/common room.

Please take note of the 'standard' hostel conditions:

Bath Backpackers is a backpackers hostel.

Passports, drivers license or national identity card are the only forms of ID accepted by us and will be required on check-in.

The minimum age for staying at Bath Backpackers is 18 years old.

Reception is open only with confirmed booking (exact arrival time required). For check in outside of these hours you must contact the hostel on check in day before 11pm.

Check-in is from13:30 until 23:00.

£5 cash security deposit is payable on check-in, which you will receive back when you leave provided you did follow the house rules.

Please note that bookings are for 7 days maximum. Extensions of stay would need to be discussed with staff at the hostel after arrival.

The hostel has a 48 hours cancellation policy. If you wish to cancel, you must do it 48h before check in day. Any cancellations within this time will be fully charged.

IMPORTANT:
We don't allow group bookings to be made online. Any booking for 5 or more must contact the hostel directly to make the booking *
Any online multibookings for 5 or more will be cancelled without any refund.

We reserve the right to charge full balance within 48 hours of arrival day.

*We do not accept stag/hen parties or any groups which may cause our other guests to feel uncomfortable.

• To get to the Bath Backpackers from the train or bus station, just walk up Manvers Street towards the city centre. Two blocks up on the left hand side you will come across the sign for the Bath Backpackers. It should take two or three minutes to walk there (depending on how large your backpack is!)
• Note that Manvers Street becomes Pierrepont Street for some odd reason!

Address: 13 Pierrepont Street, Bath, Somerset, England