Durty Nelly's Inn, Amsterdam

Red Light District
8.1

Durty Nelly's Inn is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Durty Nelly's Inn rated on booking websites?

Durty Nelly's Inn Reviews

Marvelous location and staff, good rooms

The rooms are small but clean and tidy. You have your own locker. Beds are very good. Staff is marvelous, as is the location. The pub downstairs has good deals on food and drink for the hostel guests and offers a simple breakfast.

Cezar
2015-06-02
Age 22 | Brazilian

Basic Rooms but Exceptional Location and Staff!

I arrived late in Amsterdam and made straight for Durty Nelly's as I knew they had space. My heart skipped a little when I saw how tiny the 6 bed dorm was but the beds are good, there are (noisy) lockers in the room and each one has a private shower and toilet. The category where this place really comes into its own though is the quality of the staff. They could write a textbook on customer care. I've never been so warmly and helpfully treated by staff in a hostel anywhere, never mind a big city like Amsterdam. Special thank you to Alex and Ola for their courtesy and assistance. Breakfast is included but basic and there are very good meal and drinks deals for guests. I'll deduct a point for the size of the rooms and lack of kitchen and common room but that's to change soon, I'm told ...

Jake
2013-01-17
Ireland

Although Durty Nellys Inn is located in the Red Light District, it does not seem like an unsafe place to be. However, if your main purpose for going to Amsterdam is not to party, smoke, or experience the Red Light District, this is not the hostel for you.

Durty Nelly's is located within a short walk, backpack included, of the central train station in Amsterdam.

The rooms are nice and well-kept. The doors have locks that can be accessed by an electronic key. There are in-room lockers for the use of hostelers, and no one else has the key to your locker so there's no worrying about anyone in the room stealing your things. There are four- and six-person rooms at the hostel. The four-person rooms are obviously a bit more spacious than the six-person. There isn't air conditioning in the hostel. Normally, Amsterdam isn't typically a very hot city, but we stayed during a very hot and humid week and the windows and fans just didn't do it for us.

The bathrooms are cleanly and obviously well kept. The bathrooms themselves are spacious and there is plenty of space to change. There are hooks for your bathroom things as well as towels. There are housekeepers who come around during the late morning and early afternoon cleaning up left beds, so you know that the hostel is well maintained and regularly cleaned.

The common space at the hostel is the bar, which is the first level of the hostel. There is a book exchange in the hostel office area, which all hostel stayers are welcome to use, thought it isn't very large. The hostel is very social and those who work there provide you with a basic guidebook of the top things to do in Amsterdam and can answer almost any question you have about the city and things to do. You are likely to meet a variety of fun travelers, however, you must keep in mind that the hostel is located inside the Red Light District, and you are therefore almost guaranteed to meet sketchy people. Also, you are guaranteed to smell weed from the street below whenever you are in your room.

Summary

The workers at the hostel are very helpful and kind, and the breakfast in the morning is excellent! Staying at the hostel also provides you with a variety of discounts throughout the city and especially at Durty Nelly's Bar and Restaurant.

2012-09-05

super location, nice staff. but very, very, very loud and very F**k music till 3 o'clock in the morning! but its not a real hostel, it's only a pub with dorms. Durty Nellys Inn in Amsterdam was the first hostel i stayed who the bed was made every day great! There's no room for my backpack after we check out so we have to go to the station and rent a looker -- in other hostels is this not really a problem!

Manu
2007-04-03
Austria

very poor hostel, even though is centrally located, the price is not worth at all any medium expectation! very poor dorms and toilets, poor cleaning, the pub downstairs is very noisy till late hours! the staff is ok. Do not recommend.

giorgio
2006-10-16

Good clean beds, nice open rooms and no-one really has a go at you, only if you make as much mess as we did (to be honest they probably should have chucked us out) Not a place to go if you're a bit boring, we had some well boring people in our room and that made it worse!! Breakfast was ok, other food cheap, linen was changed for us every day and got some nice clean towels for the showers which weren't great but did the job!! I'd stay here again!

Annie
2006-01-27

I stayed 5 nights here. This hostel is really bad if you want a place to rest after a hard day. Here you'll find big noisy dorms, full of drunken people smoking in front of your face. I've even seen some people sniffing cocaine. The bar (located downstairs) and the street (the entrance to the red light district) are very noisy until 3 in the morning. So don't expect to sleep before 4 a.m. on the weekends.

Also, the hostel doesn't have common areas and a kitchen. The breakfast is poor (tea or coffee, some bread, an egg and cheese). The bathroom and showers are clean, but normally there isn't hot water and the pressure is low. The best thing about this hostel is that it is excellently located, but you should know where you are going.

Ivan GS
2005-09-05

I had a fine time at Durty Nelly's. It was basically clean, and even though lots of people are in each room it's certainly not bad. For people who hate weed, first of all you're in the wrong city because you know it's everywhere, but it's acceptable to smoke it in the room as long as other people are generally cool with it. You're located literally 2 minutes from the Red Light District and restaurants, shops etc. The stairs are really funky, anyone who's stayed there knows what I'm talking about, and coming up them after getting drunk is definitely an adventure. :). The bar downstairs is great. It's not super cheap but it's a fun place with darts, pool and foosball with TVs showing sports all the time.

Brett
2005-08-11

Durty Nelly's Inn Reviews from the Web

Girl on reception was lovely and professional, hostel was clean, in central location. Capsule was worst bed I've ever been in. 18 in our room, with no window that could be opened, really poor ventilation. Inside of capsule had an air vent, but no air could be felt moving, and cannot adjust air flow. Hot and sweaty. Stairs very steep and tight turns. You can walk from street to room with zero security as door always propped open and rarely anyone on the desk. 1 toilet, 1 shower for room.

ACM
2022-08-01

Had a really good stay! The staff was extremely helpful and gave us good recommendations on where to eat.

The location was also really good, but be aware that the street outside is really busy. We didn't notice this doing the night at all, but it is not the most charming place in town.

Overall, we recommend the hostel. Super nice, clean and central.

andrea095638
2022-07-16

it is really good, but i would have love to have better ac in the room.

aflillo1570
2022-07-10

Had such a good stay here! Perfect location and I loved the pod type beds. Was able to be social when I wanted to but also have some alone time when I needed!!!

aOQALRIrdEawZUiO
2022-06-28

Had a great stay here!

susanconquer1793
2022-06-21

Excellent bar, great vibe. Location is great. Staff let me use the phone when I had to make an emergency call. Not noisy in the rooms despite being above a bar. Dont stay here if youre over 61, Im 6 and my feet were hanging off the mattress

samallison99751
2022-06-14

A very expensive hostel, especially considering we were in a 20 bed dorm. The dorm was so packed it was very challenging to access our luggage underneath the beds.

When booking I understood it would be a crowded room and not the most comfortable stay, but I was willing to give that up for a fun social hostel. The bar was closed the first night I was there and then almost empty the next two nights. There is almost no common space in the hostel so not a lot of space to meet other people. The location is ver

aidanliston021318
2022-06-08

I had a fantastic stay! The facilities themselves seemed brand new - super clean, and love the pod beds that gave a bit of privacy. There is a full pub on the first floor which is nice to hang out, it is pretty loud but surprisingly can't hear any of it once you're actually in the hostel portion of place. Staff was incredible friendly and helpful, felt super safe staying here as a solo female traveler.

leahcrago4243
2022-05-29

I only stayed for one night here but its a great location. The pods were good to sleep in, although mine had crumbs on the mattress.

Lockers fit a big bag, you need your own lock. A little hard to access your bag without being in the way of others in the room, but not a huge problem.

No kitchen or fridge facilities available, so keep this in mind.

carmellaver48740
2022-04-24

Steep steps to get to the room, small bunks, dark for good sleep, hard mattress, no towels, clean and a nice stay. Too bunks are hard to get int. Showers have body wash/shampoo. You get a discount at the bar if you show your hostel card, really close to centraal station and many shops. Very close to red light district.

a1paSFEctS521qqH
2022-04-11

Very thankful for the staff especially the receptionist on duty on the latenight shift on the last night of my stay. He went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable. Highly recommended hostel!

nicholaslee227545
2022-04-09

This establishment scamms you.

christiaan2plus32184
2022-03-17

Weird time to be in Amsterdam w/ things closed at 5pm but I still had a great time. The staff helped me figure out what to do with my travel plans when covid screwed them up. Since the town was relatively empty and closed for half the day, I spent time in the hostel and think it would be a really fun and inviting place in normal circumstances. The cubby beds are nice and dark and cozy. Special shout out to Josh and Nathan for being the best. I'll see you again after covid!

dbrady27889861
2021-12-16

A great quaint and clean hostel. Staff was super friendly and the facilities were great. 10/10 would gladly stay here again.

mshustef
2021-12-11

My praises to Daniel and Valley with an "O". This place is amazing. The staff went WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND to help me when I came to Amsterdam. There is not enough room here to tell the whole story. I will say that this staff and this place will be the ONLY thing I miss about Amsterdam. Well, and then there's Lars.

Iron58Angel3847
2021-11-14

Yes, the pictures all looked great. Sleeping in a place like that actually makes you have claustrophobia.

The air ventilation is bad.. The little fan they install in the bed space is quite dirty and the sheet also not very clean...

I am sorry about the bad review. Small lobby, feeling like hard to socialize with others.

The location is great, but with that price, it's still not worth it.

Sorry about the bad review, but I really didn't enjoy the stay

travelinghappyan
2021-11-12

Very nice hostel.

rekakaan6268
2021-11-11

Great place to stay in Central Amsterdam, within easy walking distance of the main railway station. Durty Nelly's is in the middle of (or at least next to) the Red Light district but most other central Amsterdam attractions can also be reached easily. I stayed in one of the 'capsule sleeping pod' arranged dormitories, which offers a bit more privacy than your standard kind of dormitory and is a pretty good cost/benefit compromise for those not willing to shell out for a private room.

marcus8525
2021-11-03

Not my favorite hostel by far. No lockers, kind-of unclean, very loud and no atmosphere. The beds were nice as they were cubbies, but overall I wouldn't recommend.

maxtempleton
2021-10-31

Excellent hostel, great location, friendly staff.

Had a good sleep and the pods were comfortable! Clean new bathroom and shower with shampoo so great! 20% off drinks in the bar and very handy lockers for storage.

Shane.

faheyshane7360
2021-10-29

Durty Nelly’s Hostel and Bar offers clean and comfortable budget accommodation in the coolest city on the planet!

If you are up for sightseeing during day and party in the evening – you found the perfect place! We offer you a great mixture of atmosphere, top location, friendly and helpful staff and famous Irish Pub on the ground floor for your enjoyment!

Located just a short walk from the Central Station, in the heart of the historical city center, in walking distance to city attractions, sights, and nightlife.

Our staff is ready to help you organize your stay – from navigating the city organizing day tours, museum tickets, canal cruises and bike rentals. Make the most of your Amsterdam trip save time and money - use discounts offered at reception and skip the line in most attractions.
All our prices include all taxes and fresh linen. There is no curfew and security is one of our top priorities. All ensuite shared dorms have individual lockers and for your valuables we offer a free safe in reception.

Planning just a weekend trip, or one night stay?

Take advantage of our FREE towel, hairdryer, adapters service (deposit required).
Connect with all your friends through our FREE WiFi.
Enjoy our large Dutch breakfast buffet between 8 and 11 am before you head for a free walking tour or sightseeing.
Use our luggage storage after your check out for a small charge, to make the most of your last hours in Amsterdam.

Don’t forget to check out our famous Durty Nelly’s Irish Pub on the ground floor, which is known for years as a travelers meeting point, with a great selection of beers, spirits and delicious food. Use it as a common area and if you feel thirsty or hungry - benefit from your resident discounts. Every night there is a Pub Crawl run by UltimateParty [discounted tickets available for guests).
We give you the best Value for Money, Come and experience Amsterdam with us! We look forward to meeting you and showing you what Amsterdam has to offer!
Please read our “Things to note” before booking

**IMPORTANT: Nellys will pre-authorise your credit card to cover the cost of your first nights accommodation.[Nellys does not accept debit cards] Cards which fail to pre-authorise will result in your booking being cancelled. Once you've checked in we'll cancel the pre-authorisation.**

We have a 48hr cancellation policy.
Cancellations/alterations must be made by email 48hrs before 1pm on the arrival date. Late cancellations and no-shows shall be charged the equivalent of the first night's accommodation. No refunds.

• If you're coming from Schipol airport, you can take a train to Amsterdam Centraal Station, then walk down the main road (the Damrak). Turn left when you've passed the canal. Once you're on Warmoesstraat turn right and look for number 117. The whole walk from the Central Station won't be longer than five-to-seven minutes. Please see map.
• For parking see here: http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/plan-your-trip/getting-around/parking/park-and-ride

Address: Warmoesstraat 117, Red Light District, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands

Durty Nelly's Inn is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Durty Nelly's Inn Amsterdam (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +31 020 - 638 01 25

Max. Age: 65

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 18

Min. Age with Parent (private room): 18

Maximum Stay: 7 nights

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Durty Nelly's Inn