LA Backpackers Paradise / Tradewinds Hostel

The Review

LA Backpackers Paradise / Tradewinds Hostel is a large hostel and hotel within close proximity of LAX airport; the free shuttle bus makes it an ideal stop for people departing and arriving. The hostel also provides a free shuttle service to Manhattan Beach and the bus station, from which you can travel all over Los Angeles.

The location in Inglewood is ok but not great -- there is access to take-aways and necessities. However, it is close to rough areas and you wouldn't want to roam far at night. There is a shopping outlet within walking distance and various places to eat (largely fast food). It is good to keep in mind that Los Angeles is a very large city; it can take between one and two hours to visit Venice Beach and Santa Monica by bus. If you have your own car, there is free parking at the hostel.

The rooms are largely in need of a bit if TLC, however they are incredibly spacious. The "suites" include two rooms plus a bathroom; the dorm rooms are also roomy. There are large modern TVs in the suites, however the furniture us clearly old and worn, as are the carpets. The bathrooms are simple and vary in quality. The cleanliness is below satisfactory but is bearable.

On arrival at Tradewinds, there is an energetic atmosphere although the furnishings are fairly dated. The staff lack friendliness and can be abrupt when busy. However, at other times they appear more courteous. The pool is heated -- so much so that it steams at night, so can be used anytime until 10 p.m.! There are two affordable bars and also a restaurant onsite. In addition, the Adventurer provides free food, including a breakfast muffin, cookies, evening food (like chips) and cake at night -- all of which is welcomed by a hungry traveler! There is also tea, coffee, and popcorn available free all day.

Unfortunately there is no kitchen in the hostel; this would be very useful. The common area is around the large pool and there is also a pool table and air hockey. There are numerous vending machines, which tend to break frequently and you must wait until the next day be be reimbursed by housekeeping.

As one of the cheapest places to stay in Los Angeles, Tradewinds is a good place to stay. If you need somewhere cheap, close to the airport, or just somewhere to relax, it is a great place to stay.
by truetale Staff Reviewer
Photos taken by the reviewer — Genuine photos you can trust.
Pool and outdoor bar area
Common area
'suite' bathroom

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "LA Backpackers Paradise / Tradewinds Hostel" at 4200 W Century Boulevard.)

4200 W Century Boulevard, Inglewood, Los Angeles, California, USA
33.945181, -118.348846 (accuracy not guaranteed)
+1 (310) 419-0999
+1 (310) 412-9100

How is LA Backpackers Paradise / Tradewinds Hostel rated on other websites?

53% Guest Reviews

Fire in the Hostel -- no fire alarm
The promised continental breakfast muffins or donuts and coffee were never provided and the microwave did not work. Also the promised shuttle service did not come, only after several phone calls. Furthermore the check-in personal just slammed the key on the counter and did not want to answer any questions I had about my stay at the hostel. In the second night, on June 30 2016, we had a fire at this property. There was no fire alarm in the property, which makes me think what if I would've been asleep already and not woken up in time. The employees did not make any efforts to ensure the safety of the guests who were already sleeping. Me and friends were running around waking up other guests in the neighboring rooms. Later the fire workers as well as the police came and evacuated the hostel. Due to the fire, I had to change the room (I was in a 8Bed dorm). I was advised that no other room besides the 20 bedroom dorm was available for me to sleep in, without being charged a ridiculous amount of surcharge per night. Since that moment I have consistently tried to reach somebody to move me to a different room or at least compensate me for the difference. I was jerked around and always advised to come back at a later time that no manager was available to talk to me. The receptionists did not care at all and advised me that they could not make any decisions about refunds and compensations of any sorts. I did not feel safe any longer, especially after I found out that on July 1st people in the form right next to mine were robbed. Police was going around the property. After so many unsuccessful attempts to be heard, I decided to move out early. After I moved out I sent an email to the owner who confirmed my refund. I never received one. I sent several emails which he never responded. I went twice back to the hostel to talk to him in person. The first time the ladies from the front desk told me, that he would be in a meeting and i would have to wait. I waited. Later I saw him walking around, so I went back to the front desk where they told me he already left. The second time nobody was there to talk to, so I gave him a call. After he realized who I was he hang up the phone. For all this reasons I do not recommend this place to anyone. This behaviour is absolutely unprofessional and annoying. Furthermore the hostel is located in a dangerous area, so that even some buses avoid this area at night.
Age 24
You get what you pay for ...
Over an hour waiting to check in and could only take cards as someone had not shown up. Stayed in a 20 bed dorm, has a bathroom attached but not private at all. It's in an unsafe area so tried to stay out as long as possible during the day without coming back too late. It feels unsafe getting dinner a couple of blocks away in the evening. Bus to downtown is 70 minutes. Amenities were ok. Nice looking pool but wouldn't trust it to be clean.
Age 23, Australian
The best free buffet
I have stayed at backpackers Paradise many times. It is low cost but still pretty good. They have so many free stuff, free pick up from airport, many other free things and best of all, a free buffet for dinner if you buy a soda. it is incredible that they have so many different kinds of food for 2 dollars and also very healthy options like salads and veggies. It is great. I love it. This lowers the cost of staying here.
sonia alkan
Excellent Value for Money: Easy to get around, close to airport
I've traveled extensively abroad and stayed in all types of hotels and paid for rather lovely places to stay. This time around I thought I'd opt for something a little less extravagant and decided to do the "Backpackers Experience" as we were on an adventure holiday for 6 weeks so quite conscious of our budget. We had just spent time in New York, Miami and an upmarket resort in Jamaica and ended the trip in LA. For a budget hostel this surpassed my expectations. I've stayed in backpackers accommodation that were frightful and by Australia standards Backpackers accommodation is very meagre. This on the other hand was clean, large two bedroom accommodation with a plasma Screen and private bathroom, free shuttle, complimentary snacks and cocktail and free shuttle. I would recommend this to anyone traveling on a budget! definitely not a resort but a great rest stop and terrific people whilst on your travels.
Age 43, Australian
Good value for money & the shuttle service is very convenient. But the shared bathroom in the dorm room is DISGUSTING!! there is no door for the bathroom! Provided that it is a MIXED dorm! all u have got is a thin shower curtain which is almost transparent! I don't feel comfortable to take a shower in a bathroom like this as you are actually naked in front of whoever enters the bathroom including both men & women.
(Hong Kong)
Had a good time
The staff could have been a little nicer, but it was alright. I enjoyed the swimming pool and clean sheets and towel every day. We stayed in a 20 bed mixed dorm but it didn't seem to be crowded at all. (Bring earplugs though!) We never had to wait for our turn for the bathroom, and nobody stole anything. You can do laundry for a couple $s if you run out of clothes, or just go to Beverly Hills! Ha! The shuttle was very convenient in the first couple days, but there are other ways to get around too. The bus stop is close and the subway is about 15min walk. The area is really not that bad as I read in previous reviews, we walked home from the subway station or the bus stop past midnight and 2am every night and nobody ever tried to mess with us or sell drugs or anything. It takes about 40min-1hour to get to downtown LA or a nice beach like Long Beach, or Venice Beach, but you can't beat this price for a hostel in LA! We had a positive experience!
Age 26, Hungary
Excellent service and atmosphere
I had the misfortune of a delayed flight from Vegas so Delta give me a hotel voucher for the night. Must admit was a bit apprehensive when at 2 am in the morning a shuttle bus arrives and the driver convinces me to go to this hotel rather than the one listed on the voucher. Arrived at the hotel and on first impressions was still quite apprehensive. However, the driver could not have been more helpful and even came back with a couple of hot dogs when I mentioned I hadn't eaten. Next morning breakfast was excellent followed by a tour of LA recommended by the driver. That afternoon really enjoyed the atmosphere and very well priced beer around the bar followed again by a scrumptious dinner. I found the room quite clean; a bit dated but very comfortable with all amenities. I was disappointed I had to fly back to Sydney that night, otherwise I would have stayed longer.
Clyde Smith
Age 60, Australia
Cockroaches, feces, and blood
There were cockroaches, feces, and blood all over the place. It was truly scary. If you don't mind feces on the walls around the toilet, cockroaches climbing over your bed, and blood from who knows what then please, by all means, stay here.
Unhappy Camper