North Bundy Backpackers

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "North Bundy Backpackers" at 12 Queen Street.)

12 Queen Street, Bundaberg North, Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
-24.857610, 152.345534 (accuracy not guaranteed)
northbundybackpackers.com.au/
07 4151 2463
+61 (7) 4154-2208

How is North Bundy Backpackers rated on other websites?

Great place for a hostel
Remember people, this is a hostel and not the Hilton. Pool is great and I for one have never seen it not clean. And I can tell you those pictures are post flood and not pre flood. Friends of mine from Germany had stayed there in 2012 and things look different. Back then under different management the pool was a mess and unusable. For 180 a week, no transport costs for work and work available most of the time. That's why I give it the thumbs up.
Age 24, Germany
2017-06-01

Infested with bedbugs
Waste of time and money. They say you'll only be picking cherry tomatoes for two weeks before you get a proper job but chances are you'll be doing it a lot more than that before you get the "full time, hourly jobs." Also, you only get a full time OR an hourly paid job. Stayed here for two and a half months and only got 30 days completed on what I was told was a "full time" job. If you want to get your 88 days done here, you'll be here for 5 to 6 months. Also, several people had their visas refused because immigration wouldn't accept their days on cherry tomatoes. My room was absolutely infested with bed bugs living in the walls but nothing was ever done about it. I complained about this on several occasions and asked for the room to be properly fumigated but again nothing was done. I slept in the TV room several times as my bed was crawling with bedbugs. You'll make great friends but you'll lose more money than you make. Hostel owner is completely ignorant and a liar as is the old man who works there on the weekends. Rooms were never cleaned. Transport was completely unsafe. Myself and two other girls were driving to work one day and the engine caught on fire so they just put masking tape on the now melted wires and had us carry on driving this van home from work later on that day. I had to leave once I managed to save up enough money (make back all the money I lost on this place) to get out of that shit hole. Do not waste your time and money here. No Wi-Fi, no oven, air con in only 3 rooms, infested with bedbugs, practically no work, no chance to earn money and you have to pay $180 a week for all this. If they tell you there's plenty room at the hostel, there's a reason for that. Avoid at all costs
Doireann
Age 23, Ireland
2017-05-11

Hostel is dirty and it's a game of roulette to which farm you work on
There's some incorrect details in the description. Clean comfy rooms -- definitely not clean or comfy. Internet --never works. ATM -- doesn't exist. Double rooms -- don't exist. The hostel is filthy and the free transport is unsafe and unreliable. It's pure luck whether you end up with an hourly paid job or finish your 88 days on piece rate. The only way to change jobs is to quit, go to the bottom of the waiting list and hope you land a better paid job. Security is non existent. On a few occasions some locals ventured into the hostel stealing shoes and clothes. You will no doubt start work picking cherry tomatoes. It's easy work but the pay is terrible -- $4.80 per bucket. A full week picking cherry tomatoes and you'll just about cover rent and food if you work hard enough. It's strange that after a small amount of time you learn to overlook how terrible the hostel is and you do develop good friendships and enjoy the farm experience. Also, the reception staff are helpful and do try their best to help. I managed to complete my 88 days and save a little bit of cash.
Ollie
Age 27, England
2017-01-17

I stayed at North bundy for 4 months. I got my days done pretty quick.
I stayed at North bundy for 4 months. Back breaking at times. The hostel is ok. Gets a bit messy but they do have staff that clean everyday. The rooms got done about twice a week so maybe could improve there. They do get a bit smelly so you just open a window. The staff are real nice and helpful. The hostel owner can be a bit short at times but not unbearable. To sum it up its a great place to make friends and do your visa days. I have made some great memories whilst staying here and still catch up with people i met there. It's what you want to make of it.
chloe
Age 22, uk
2016-11-17

Best time ever doing hard work!
i had a great time at north bundy. made some good friends that i am now traveling with. thank you everyone getting me through.
anton
Age 20, uk
2016-09-14
  Absolute shit hostel. the owner, i wouldn't even piss on him if he was on fire. would advise everyone thinking of coming not to, because you'll just end up with less money then originally started with. The transport used for work is unsafe and regularly you would find yourself broke down waiting on assistance from another vehicle, the fact the hostel only accepts cash payments screams tax fraud, and what you pay your $170 each week for is worthy of just a bed. everything else is dirty and unusable. I'd rather serve a prison sentence then severe 88 days here.

Response from the accommodation: Nick was evicted 08/10/16 his girl friend and brother are still staying with us. Nick was on a hourly pumpkin picking job I am sorry that nick was happy staying with us for the first 2 months of his stay and begged to stay after he was evicted.
Nick
Age 24, Englang
2016-08-10

The people staying there are awesome
My time at north bundy was with many adventures good and bad. Tomatoes was the pits but i was lucky enough to land a good job in my second week of being there. The people staying there are awesome and what makes the place bearable after all we are all there for the same reason. The hostel itself is pretty good. Clean and tidy. Does get a bit messy at night but is cleaned by the time we get back from work. Overall i would recommend people to stay there.
betty
Age 20, uk
2016-05-07

Overall it is one of the better hostels i have stayed at.
I stayed at north bundy backpackers for 4 months. It was hard work on the farms because it was so hot but the company made it more bearable along with the pool. I have made some life long friends here through our shared experiences. The hostel has been great. The staff are friendly and try to help the best they can. They have put on free bbq and pizza nights when the work was a bit quite due to weather. It could be a bit cleaner with the outside toilets and people putting their stuff away. It gets cleaned once a day but it does get messy towards the end of day. Overall it is one of the better hostels i have stayed at. A bit like being at uni again really. It's great place to stay for getting your days done. I had consistent work the whole time and not all done on cherry tomatoes either.
Mathew
Age 23, uk
2016-02-29

Filthy and mean management
All the photos above are before flooding. I wish I could post photos here how it looks like nowadays ... If anyone gives this place five stars is probably fake writer from the management. Cause first of all no one ever swam in that pool cause it was absolutely disgusting. Secondly the room I stayed in shared a bathroom with three rooms (14 people?!) so you can only imagine the state of that bathroom. The en suite rooms are not any better cause the toilets won't work and the showers ran out of warm water after 5:30 when people get back from work. They clean the kitchen area daily but you can imagine the state of that after 60 people using few hobs and one sink (or trying to). And there's only one tiny little oven that can't even warm up your pizza or cook anything. I won't even start with the work policy. I stayed in north bundy almost three months and left with no money. Making max $400 per week with $160 rent and all the money you lose in the beginning (cause you're not making any). Don't go here if you are broke and this is your last option! I made that mistake and got stuck in that hell hole. I was there in mid 2015.
(Don't want to tell)
2016-01-17

Your best bet
Your best bet. So after reading reviews of all hostels in Bundaberg, me and my travel buddy were ready for the worst. After phoning the national harvest line and all the farmers we could find, we were recommended to stay at East Bundy by a local farmer that hires from there. On arrival we were greeted by Christine who told us honestly about the work situation in Bundy. We quickly learned what kind of place this was. In the evening there was a special going away event for the longest staying member of the hostel, the family atmosphere there was just fantastic. This is different to every other working hostel in Bundaberg. Row and Karl are open and honest with the work, we had work after just one day. Our beds were comfy, the pillows were magical, the hostel was safe and secure, had a good working kitchen with plenty of space as well . All cutlery (and there is a lot!) is all provided, plates, bowls and a nice large cup for your morning tea/coffee before work. Going to other hostels in the area, owners were rude and indifferent and didn't seem to care if you stayed there or not. I saw a number of occasions where people had mentioned something to row and she had sorted it straight away, for example new knives were bought as someone brought it up. Small things but it is those small things that make you feel at home. So in summary if you are going to Bundy to get your 2nd year visa, go to North Bundy and save the days drive around the town that we had trying to find something better, because you won't find it.
Marcus
Age 23, england
2015-11-22

One of the best places to stay in Bundy
This is a really nice place to stay. Had a lot of fun here and made some good friends and money. Good location within walking distance of city. There was a great atmosphere especially at night when everyone sat around outside. As with many hostels it can really depend on the people staying whether you like it or not. Loads of work in the right season. A courtesy bus takes the backpackers to and from work each day. The kitchen is very big, well equipped, and comfortable for many people to cook at the same time. One of the best places to stay in Bundy especially if you are working to get the Second Working Holiday Visa.
annmarie
Age 23, england
2015-09-30

I have made lifelong friends from this place
Having spent 3 months in Bundaberg definitely the place to stay is north bundy. I was told my first job wouldn't be anything great however i landed an hourly paid job straight away and was given plenty of work. The hostel itself is great and kept pretty clean. Could do with a little more storage space. The staff are heaps friendly and are willing to help where they can. I have made lifelong friends from this place. It is a dry hostel and you will get kicked out if you have alcohol on premises but the young aussie is just around the corner, you get your fill there. Will come back for more work after this lot of travels.
Chantel
Age 21, france
2015-09-14

Had a great time here
I stayed at this hotel in July and had an awesome time. Mostly met the best people. The outdoor area is great with a pool. I also really liked having separate bathrooms in each dorm room. It wasn't the cleanest but pretty good for a backpacker I think. We had good steady work that was much better than some of the other backpackers in town told us they got. Would recommend for building up cash for more traveling.
Kerry