North Bundy Backpackers

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "North Bundy Backpackers" at 12 Queen Street.)

12 Queen Street, Bundaberg North, Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
-24.857610, 152.345534 (accuracy not guaranteed)
northbundybackpackers.com.au/
07 4151 2463
+61 (7) 4154-2208

How is North Bundy Backpackers rated on other websites?

Enjoyable Time in Hostel
i stayed 90 days in the hostel and It was really fun loving and enjoyable. We had done work on schedule and also very well condition of hostel. All rooms were clean and hygienic.
Stewart
Age 27
2017-11-01

I was so short on time i nearly did my 88 days in a row in bundaberg
farming aint fun and picking is hard work after awhile in north bundy, i get hourly pay some times +10 hours a day. north bundy backpackers saved my visa days.
Stweart
Age 28, Netherlands
2017-10-13

Terrible
Warning! Do not go. Run, don't look back. The hostel building itself is old, rundown, one-story Motel. It's undesirable, horrific, monstrosity -- pick any word that basically describes excrement and you'll find north bundy backpackers in brackets next to it. All rooms are 6 man rooms. there are 3 that are 10-14-16 people rooms, 90 people crammed into 14 rooms. The basic layout of the place is an L-shaped, one-story building with a courtyard shielded by stone walls running the perimeter of the complex, inside the courtyard there is a wooden Dutch barn-type structure that houses cheap metal picnic tables strung from end to end like a mechanical Oliver themed orphanage lunch hall, which is adorned with boots and shoes hanging by their shoelaces to donate people who finished their 88 days of slavery. Sounds traveler-esque! Right!? Wrong! All food is to be cooked here, there are 2 cooking hobs of which one maybe two individual cookers work, the gas is connected below which is never full and the when it's windy (which is all the time) the flame will blow out. So good luck making anything in under 1.5 hours. Baring in mind there are 90 people all buzzing about trying to make food. Every single piece of kitchen equipment looks like it came from the dump, clearly everything is second hand, cheap and nasty and is always dirty. A sink full of food waste and oil from pans and fish, cooked meat -- the lot. The scourers or sponges have been through occupied France and ended up in Syria where obviously Big Steve bagged himself a bargain and shipped them over to Bundaberg. The floors are vile. The seats are unsanitary. The bins are dirty and overflowing with grime and never emptied leaving them to smell of rot. The knock-off George Forman grills are thick with burnt food and animal fat, the once-white kettles are stained yellow on the outside and white limescale bulks the elements on the inside. (Actual health risk.) the ovens are the size of a loaf of garlic bread and are much the same however they don't work, and the microwave is more like a hairdryer that blows cold all the time. However it hasn't fallen down yet so that a plus, right? The rooms! Fantastic! The bathrooms are basically what you would find in a "Saw" movie. Nothing is white, it's all savagely stained, my bathroom had mold growing inside it. The toilets if they have a seat are disgusting and the shower curtains have half a decade of grime on them. Oh and no hot water .... ever. So no one showers as much as they should and working on a farm you should shower a lot more than you normally do, it's very frustrating. Especially in the evenings when it's cold. The window that looks into the showers are made of slated glass all of which are broken or nonexistent, so everyone in the courtyard can see you naked up to your nips. Now we come to the piece de resistance -- bedbugs! You thought they were a little rhyme a little joke, don't let them bite! Haha! No! They are real, so so real ... in fact they infest the entire building. The skirting boards, the light switches, the bed frames, the shelving units, the door frames, the benches, the seats, the buses! And your bed!! And clothes and suitcase and shoes and books and food ... I can go on, I have never had bedbugs ever, but I've now had bedbugs for about 2 months. I had to go full on quarantine on my shit, binned so much stuff including my suitcase. They bite you and drink your blood get bigger and lay eggs everywhere. it's so bad there, everyone has them. This place should be condemned just on that basis alone! Staff are kids, paid by the owner at a rate of $16.50 an hour and they work from 0600-0730 then office opens at 1600-1900. Steve the owner -- you won't see him unless it affects him directly, probably something to do with money or damage to anything. When you call the hostel number you'll speak to his wife but you will never speak to her again or see her ever, she is just a nice voice on the other end of the phone to lure you in. Sheets don't get washed, and if you do try to change them weekly, they will give you dirty Ones from someone else. They make you drive, even though you are not insured, nor is the vehicle. 3 strikes you're out, and they will just give you them for anything. The pool is empty, unless it rains and it fills with rubbish blowing out of the bins from the kitchen and excrement from around the floor. Ibis birds will be there when you wake up eating the scraps in the morning from the chaos from the night before. Cockroaches in the summer, rabid dogs walk around the hostel, thieves jump the walk and rob people's possessions when at work. You won't make any money on cherries -- you get 20 dollars for a full day if you're lucky. Mark my words, someone will eventually die here. But not me, not today.
The one that got away
(Somewhere better than here)
2017-08-25

A very positive Reputed Place
A Group of us came to North Bundy even though we saw the bad reviews. We were up for a taste of hell just to say we survived, however we were disappointed because it did not live up to the reviews we read. The rooms were clean, although the pool was green but no one uses it in winter anyways so it did not bother us. Cherry Tomatoes was about the closest it lived up to its reputation. We did 60 of our days here as we completed some up further north in cairns. We ended up having the best time staying here and would happily recommend it.
Adam D
Age 25
2017-08-18

Absolute Disgrace of a Place
Cannot even begin to state how much of a horrible, rundown place this is. it is infested and disgusting. the owner is a complete egotistical idiot, he treats people like mugs, the joke is on him! He clearly is having money issues as asks for cash only (definitely something dodgy going on there)! He is a poor excuse for a human being, Absolutely vile, probably one of the worst I have ever met -- wouldn’t be surprised if he was part of a crazy cult!
2017-08-07

Best Time in Hostel
I had a good time in north bundy. cherry tomatoes is terrible, but I was only on it for a few days, then 3 different hourly jobs. The hostel is fine, there is no alcohol allowed, which is good because most days everyone in the hostel has work. Game of thrones night will never be the same again.
2017-08-01

Great place for a hostel
Remember people, this is a hostel and not the Hilton. Pool is great and I for one have never seen it not clean. And I can tell you those pictures are post flood and not pre flood. Friends of mine from Germany had stayed there in 2012 and things look different. Back then under different management the pool was a mess and unusable. For 180 a week, no transport costs for work and work available most of the time. That's why I give it the thumbs up.
Age 24, Germany
2017-06-01

Infested with bedbugs
Waste of time and money. They say you'll only be picking cherry tomatoes for two weeks before you get a proper job but chances are you'll be doing it a lot more than that before you get the "full time, hourly jobs." Also, you only get a full time OR an hourly paid job. Stayed here for two and a half months and only got 30 days completed on what I was told was a "full time" job. If you want to get your 88 days done here, you'll be here for 5 to 6 months. Also, several people had their visas refused because immigration wouldn't accept their days on cherry tomatoes. My room was absolutely infested with bed bugs living in the walls but nothing was ever done about it. I complained about this on several occasions and asked for the room to be properly fumigated but again nothing was done. I slept in the TV room several times as my bed was crawling with bedbugs. You'll make great friends but you'll lose more money than you make. Hostel owner is completely ignorant and a liar as is the old man who works there on the weekends. Rooms were never cleaned. Transport was completely unsafe. Myself and two other girls were driving to work one day and the engine caught on fire so they just put masking tape on the now melted wires and had us carry on driving this van home from work later on that day. I had to leave once I managed to save up enough money (make back all the money I lost on this place) to get out of that shit hole. Do not waste your time and money here. No Wi-Fi, no oven, air con in only 3 rooms, infested with bedbugs, practically no work, no chance to earn money and you have to pay $180 a week for all this. If they tell you there's plenty room at the hostel, there's a reason for that. Avoid at all costs
Doireann
Age 23, Ireland
2017-05-11

Hostel is dirty and it's a game of roulette to which farm you work on
There's some incorrect details in the description. Clean comfy rooms -- definitely not clean or comfy. Internet --never works. ATM -- doesn't exist. Double rooms -- don't exist. The hostel is filthy and the free transport is unsafe and unreliable. It's pure luck whether you end up with an hourly paid job or finish your 88 days on piece rate. The only way to change jobs is to quit, go to the bottom of the waiting list and hope you land a better paid job. Security is non existent. On a few occasions some locals ventured into the hostel stealing shoes and clothes. You will no doubt start work picking cherry tomatoes. It's easy work but the pay is terrible -- $4.80 per bucket. A full week picking cherry tomatoes and you'll just about cover rent and food if you work hard enough. It's strange that after a small amount of time you learn to overlook how terrible the hostel is and you do develop good friendships and enjoy the farm experience. Also, the reception staff are helpful and do try their best to help. I managed to complete my 88 days and save a little bit of cash.
Ollie
Age 27, England
2017-01-17

I stayed at North bundy for 4 months. I got my days done pretty quick.
I stayed at North bundy for 4 months. Back breaking at times. The hostel is ok. Gets a bit messy but they do have staff that clean everyday. The rooms got done about twice a week so maybe could improve there. They do get a bit smelly so you just open a window. The staff are real nice and helpful. The hostel owner can be a bit short at times but not unbearable. To sum it up its a great place to make friends and do your visa days. I have made some great memories whilst staying here and still catch up with people i met there. It's what you want to make of it.
chloe
Age 22, uk
2016-11-17

Best time ever doing hard work!
i had a great time at north bundy. made some good friends that i am now traveling with. thank you everyone getting me through.
anton
Age 20, uk
2016-09-14
  Absolute shit hostel. the owner, i wouldn't even piss on him if he was on fire. would advise everyone thinking of coming not to, because you'll just end up with less money then originally started with. The transport used for work is unsafe and regularly you would find yourself broke down waiting on assistance from another vehicle, the fact the hostel only accepts cash payments screams tax fraud, and what you pay your $170 each week for is worthy of just a bed. everything else is dirty and unusable. I'd rather serve a prison sentence then severe 88 days here.

Response from the accommodation: Nick was evicted 08/10/16 his girl friend and brother are still staying with us. Nick was on a hourly pumpkin picking job I am sorry that nick was happy staying with us for the first 2 months of his stay and begged to stay after he was evicted.
Nick
Age 24, Englang
2016-08-10

The people staying there are awesome
My time at north bundy was with many adventures good and bad. Tomatoes was the pits but i was lucky enough to land a good job in my second week of being there. The people staying there are awesome and what makes the place bearable after all we are all there for the same reason. The hostel itself is pretty good. Clean and tidy. Does get a bit messy at night but is cleaned by the time we get back from work. Overall i would recommend people to stay there.
betty
Age 20, uk
2016-05-07

Overall it is one of the better hostels i have stayed at.
I stayed at north bundy backpackers for 4 months. It was hard work on the farms because it was so hot but the company made it more bearable along with the pool. I have made some life long friends here through our shared experiences. The hostel has been great. The staff are friendly and try to help the best they can. They have put on free bbq and pizza nights when the work was a bit quite due to weather. It could be a bit cleaner with the outside toilets and people putting their stuff away. It gets cleaned once a day but it does get messy towards the end of day. Overall it is one of the better hostels i have stayed at. A bit like being at uni again really. It's great place to stay for getting your days done. I had consistent work the whole time and not all done on cherry tomatoes either.
Mathew
Age 23, uk
2016-02-29

Filthy and mean management
All the photos above are before flooding. I wish I could post photos here how it looks like nowadays ... If anyone gives this place five stars is probably fake writer from the management. Cause first of all no one ever swam in that pool cause it was absolutely disgusting. Secondly the room I stayed in shared a bathroom with three rooms (14 people?!) so you can only imagine the state of that bathroom. The en suite rooms are not any better cause the toilets won't work and the showers ran out of warm water after 5:30 when people get back from work. They clean the kitchen area daily but you can imagine the state of that after 60 people using few hobs and one sink (or trying to). And there's only one tiny little oven that can't even warm up your pizza or cook anything. I won't even start with the work policy. I stayed in north bundy almost three months and left with no money. Making max $400 per week with $160 rent and all the money you lose in the beginning (cause you're not making any). Don't go here if you are broke and this is your last option! I made that mistake and got stuck in that hell hole. I was there in mid 2015.
(Don't want to tell)
2016-01-17

Your best bet
Your best bet. So after reading reviews of all hostels in Bundaberg, me and my travel buddy were ready for the worst. After phoning the national harvest line and all the farmers we could find, we were recommended to stay at East Bundy by a local farmer that hires from there. On arrival we were greeted by Christine who told us honestly about the work situation in Bundy. We quickly learned what kind of place this was. In the evening there was a special going away event for the longest staying member of the hostel, the family atmosphere there was just fantastic. This is different to every other working hostel in Bundaberg. Row and Karl are open and honest with the work, we had work after just one day. Our beds were comfy, the pillows were magical, the hostel was safe and secure, had a good working kitchen with plenty of space as well . All cutlery (and there is a lot!) is all provided, plates, bowls and a nice large cup for your morning tea/coffee before work. Going to other hostels in the area, owners were rude and indifferent and didn't seem to care if you stayed there or not. I saw a number of occasions where people had mentioned something to row and she had sorted it straight away, for example new knives were bought as someone brought it up. Small things but it is those small things that make you feel at home. So in summary if you are going to Bundy to get your 2nd year visa, go to North Bundy and save the days drive around the town that we had trying to find something better, because you won't find it.
Marcus