Tamarindo Hostel, San Pedro Sula

5.0

Tamarindo Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Tamarindo Hostel rated on booking websites?

Tamarindo Hostel Reviews

This is one of the best rated hostels in town, yet it is a very quiet place and has not the typical meeting-point vibe where you connect with other travellers. It is a hostel that you can use to relax on your stop-over to or from Nicaragua or to Hondura's popular islands like Roatan and Utila. But if you want party or social entertainment this is not the right place. Most people use Hostel Tamarindo for their stopover on their way to other destinations. Perhaps the reason why this hostel gets many mixed reviews is that there are not many options in town and Honduras has clearly some difficulties with its reputation in tourism.

Tamarindo Hostel is located in a commercial & safe area. It is close to restaurants, bank machines, a supermarket and around 10 blocks away from the central park. At the same time, the neighbourhood seems very industrial and there is a lot of traffic, junkyards and garbage piles closeby. Yet the hostel is safe and the entrance gate is locked at all times. If guests want to enter or exist a member of the staff opens with a key.

The private rooms are average sized, with comfortable beds. There is a shared dorm with 12 bed that seems too small when fully booked. There is not enough space for people to keep their luggage without blocking the walkways. It would be an improvement to install personal lights for each bed in order to be able to see at night when entering the dorm late. There are lockers for personal stuff/your valuables, bring your own padlock.

The bathrooms are decent sized, but there is nothing to hang your clothes and the showers only have warm water.

The lounge area is nice, small, with a good wifi speed.

The kitchen is good, a bit messy most of the times but you can find all the necessary. There is free coffee 24 hours and many spices to use.

Services

Internet speed: Download 2.79Mbps; Upload 2.68Mbps

The hostel sells everything (water, soft drinks, snacks, alcohol, perfume, tee shirts, etc)

You can purchase TICA bus tickets at the hostel (extra fee) to connect to Nicaragua or Costa Rica

and they arrange taxi pickups for your departure.

Summary

This is a fine hostel, a family owned establishment. It does well for a hostel in a non touristy city. All facilities are very good especially at that price. The staff is helpful and everything was very clean. It is a pleasant place to stay, but not for interacting with other travellers or having a social time. The atmosphere could be a bit less distant and more lively.

Jey Jetter
2016-02-09
Front view reception dining and living room Kitchen Bathroom on entrance level for common use main corridor 12-bed dorm Bathroom in 12-bed dorm terrace 2nd floor Private 6-bed room with the option

The overrated and overpriced Tamarindo Hostel definitely relies on good reviews in guidebooks but unfortunately does not live up to them. It's average but has what you will need for your stay. There is a definite feel that it might have once been the well-run place in the books -- the disinterested staff might well have had something to do with the decline.

Tamarindo Hostel is quite a way from central San Pedro Sula out in a quiet residential area, which might be a good thing but means you will be making use of taxis -- remember to agree on a fare before the trip. There are some restaurants and a supermarket within walking distance (twenty minutes), but you might want to take a taxi because of the city's reputation.

The rooms are ok. Some of them are a little more cramped and noisy so have a look around -- upstairs is probably a better bet. There are small security lockers in the rooms for your valuables but some of the dorm doors do not close properly. The bathrooms are clean and there is meant to be hot water, but it is questionable.

The common space includes a TV lounge and dining room area. It's not bad for sitting on the couch and watching some TV but doesn't have much of an atmosphere. A kitchen is available for guest use and has most of the things you will need -- it's fairly clean but does look like it has lacked a thorough clean in a while. Drinking water is not included and they have a small selection of drinks. There is one computer available but it is far too expensive.

Summary

Overall it is an ok place to stay but could do with a couple of improvements and an attempt to provide more atmosphere but it's quite clean and seems safe enough. It is not as great as the guidebooks claim, so don't expect too much and you should be fine.

Mark Hosking
2010-06-04
South Africa

Multilingual, helpful staff, well run. Secure from outside.

Stayed here for one night before heading to La Ceiba, the local employees really helped out my brother while he was staying here with logistical issues such as storing a bicycle and gear. A staff member helped us catch a taxi at 5:30 a.m. and negotiated a price in spanish to the bus station. No problems. The schnauzer that lives there is really cute and livens up the place.

Colter
2008-10-28
Chicago, USA

Strange, almost surreal experience

I have traveled extensively throughout Central America and this was the hottest night I have ever spent. My four-person "dorm" was two bunk beds crammed into what would have been a small single room. One small fan. No window. Four guys. It was suffocating. (And no lock on the door. More on that later.) The "free" wireless internet is one computer that you are allowed to use for free for fifteen minutes. Then you pay. If you can actually get on the thing, which is tough, since there is a queue. Now it gets weird. I had to catch an early flight so I politely pulled my stuff out of the room into the common room to pack so as not to wake anyone, only to find people sleeping on the floor of the common room. So I still had to pack quietly in the dark. I thought I'd check my email while I waited, but apparently they stow the keyboard away at night. There were musical instruments in the common room. A guy who had stayed there the night before said that the owners have a band, and chose to practice the previous evening at around 9:30 p.m. And now it gets really weird. There was a cabinet in my room which was locked. It was being used by a guy who lives/works there. So he could and would come in at anytime to get into his closet in the noisiest possible manner. I was awakened twice in the middle of the night, at about half past midnight and 2:30 a.m., when he came in, turned on the light, and sprayed cologne on his underwear. The people there were friendly and helpful but they seem a little unclear on what the purpose of a hostel is.

jstaggs1967
2008-06-14

We stayed here in January 2007 with our grandchildren, twins age 11, and we all loved it! The owner, Juan, picked us up at the airport, waiting over an hour because our plane was late. He and his wife, Angela, the other owner, speak excellent English and are terrific hosts. (The hostel was formerly her family home.) They are concerned with your comfort and motivated to help your stay in Honduras be fun. In our room we had a double bed and bunkbeds, perfect for us. The hostel has a veranda and lovely front garden, and is located on a quiet tree-lined street and is secure behind locked gates. They have a talking, singing parrot who delighted the children. Juan spent some time with us showing us places to visit via his internet. He recommended an excellent restaurant across the street enjoyed by both the children and ourselves. The next morning, Angela made us an superb typical breakfast as prearranged (I don't think this is a regular service but their kitchen is there to use if you want to). She took us to the Hedman Alas bus station and then returned again to bring us stuff we had left behind. They are wonderful people, the hostel is clean, colorful, and safe. We look forward to staying there on future occasions.

Shirley and Dorin
2007-02-17

I stayed here on July 5th along with 18 friends on our way to Trujillo. We all hated to leave!! You will not find better host and hostess! Juan Carlos and Angela make you feel at home instantly and did everything to help us in finding places to eat and things to do around town in our brief stay! And then there was the yummy mango jelly they had made for us to eat on our toast the morning we left...YUMMY!! I recommend the Tamarindo Hostel highly. The decor is bright, fun and enjoyable and the hosts are top notch!! Thank you Juan Carlos and Angela for a great stay!!!

Rachel
2005-07-15

I stayed in this hostel last week (March 26) and it is very nice. The owners are a young couple who also play in a band, and they were very kind to me, and helped me with any information I needed. It is safe, and very clean. It looks like a deluxe hostel to me. I really enjoyed my stay there.

Yamilet Castellanos
2005-04-04

Tamarindo Hostel, the first backpacker's place in San Pedro Sula. We have dorm rooms, private rooms, hammocks, and enough area where you can have a nice rest after an adventure in San Pedro Sula or places near the city. We have a nice garden, terrace with pool, free use of kitchen, reading area, free coffee in the morning, internet, and a lot more. We can inform you of tours and places to go and have fun at very cheap prices. We are close to souvenir shops, discos, cinemas, shoping mall, restaurants, markets and supermarkets, Hedman Alas Bus station is near, hospitals and drug stores; so come over and find a good and secure area to stay at with a few bucks.

Address: Barrio Los Andes 9 Calle A 10-11 Avenue Noroeste 1015, San Pedro Sula, Honduras

Tamarindo Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Tamarindo Hostel San Pedro Sula www.tamarindohostel.com

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): All Ages

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Min. Age without Parent: All Ages

Checkout: 12:00 (12 Noon)

Size: Small (less than 30 beds)

Rate Tamarindo Hostel