Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo, Amsterdam

Centrum
6.3

Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo is listed at the following booking sites:

HostelsClub Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo rated on booking websites?

Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo Reviews

Extremely high fee!!

I tried to cancel our reservation (2 persons) 72 hours before my arrival because I had an emergency (my mom's boyfriend was at the hospital) and I had to pay for the whole stay (500 for three nights from the 19.10 to the 22.10) and not just for the first night as written on the webpage ... Never again!!!

Camilla
2016-10-18
Age 21 | Italian

Don't go there!!!

This was the worst hostel I have ever been. First of all they wanted cheat us on 50 when they made a bill. Then we saw the room (I'm not sure if I can call this room, because it was like a cowshed). Very dirty and small place. The staff was very unpleasant. If you like to spend nice time in Amsterdam, Don't go there.

Slavic
2015-08-29
Age 30 | Polish

Room 6 was really tiny unlike the other rooms but it was still enough to sleep and eat and have a great stay with a very nice reception. Everything was great, it was not really that loud. Near Leidesplan, i would recommend it and go again. 4/5 cause it missed a little bit of comfort.

Kubilay
2014-04-27
Age 20 | Germany

LOUD!!!!!

If you're happy sleeping between 5am and 10am then this is the place for you, if you desire a more regular sleeping arrangement I would suggest choosing somewhere else. Bourbon alley (live music venue) is literally next door and you can hear every cover, every fight and every song ... all night, every night.

Adrian
2013-12-02
Age 25 | Australia

Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo is a basic hostel that meets your basic needs.

If you can successfully navigate public transit system, and not get lost among Amsterdam's canals and bridges, then Hostel Orfeo is relatively easy to find. There's a distinct sign that makes the location easy to spot. There are a fair number of restaurants nearby, including a Burger King and a McDonald's, that are open late.

The rooms are all up a steep, narrow staircase. If you're unlucky, as we are, you'll be on the fifth floor. It's quite a hike, with many turns, and can be very difficult to navigate when tired from traveling and well laden with luggage. As we were told by the front desk staff, there is no lift, which is standard for every hostel in Amsterdam. When you check in, you will be given a keycard, a free city map, and the Wi-Fi password if you would like it. The Wi-Fi is free, but you may have trouble receiving it on the upper floors. The rooms have keycards to enter, giving some level of security, which is good, considering there are no lockers for keeping personal items or valuables. In the large dorm, the beds are metal bunk beds, with no ladders or rails. The mattresses are adequately comfortable, though the temperature in the room is not well controlled; in the top floor dorm, in the beds near the heater, the heat is stifling and sleep disruptive.

The dorm rooms have en suite bathrooms with the toilet, sink, and shower all encapsulated in one room. This can be problematic at peak use times. The bathrooms are kept fairly clean and adequate in size, and meet your basic needs. Sheets are included in the cost of rental; you can also rent a very small towel.

The common room, with wood floors and high ceilings, also houses the reception, with plentiful tables and chairs for eating or chatting. There is a chess and checkers set, a television, and a small collection of books. The kitchen is somewhat small, but brightly lit, and also houses a washer and dryer.

Breakfast is free, though it is very light; you will be severely disappointed if you are hoping for a filling breakfast. There is nothing but bread that can be toasted in the kitchen, where they have two toasters. At least each table has its own butter, jam, peanut butter, and Nutella, so there isn't a pile up at the serving table. There is also free hot tea and coffee available.

The common space also has drinks, like water, juice, soda, and Red Bull, for sale at a premium. There are also souvenirs, snacks, and toiletry essentials you can purchase.

Summary

If you don't mind hiking up the narrow staircase, and need a budget hostel to crash in, the Orfeo will cover you. It's well worn and a wee bit shabby, but it'll see you through the night and set you off in the morning with a bit of toast in your belly.

Beth J
2013-03-30
Front desk Dorm room Breakfast station Kitchen Outside Washer and dryer Souvenir station Common area Stairs Ensuite bathroom

On the whole -- fine

I had booked a two-person room for me and my partner. unfortunately what we got was not a bed for two but instead a loft bed so we had to sleep separated. I think that's just a minor thing but should be mentioned. The room itself was tidy and quite clean -- the bedding was all fresh and the minimal furniture was tidy. Only the bathroom [shower and toilet are separated] were slightly scruffy. Nevertheless for such little money it was a good choice and if you really just stay there to get some sleep it's alright.

K.
2012-12-25
Germany

Ok, but not as gay as promised

It was pretty good -- I appreciated the breakfast and location, although the rooms are a bit spartan, but nothing out of the ordinary for a hostel (except there were no lockers). A word of warning, though -- I was directed here from listings of gay hotels, and it really isn't all that gay. Oh, well.

Matt
2009-06-03
Canada

Fairly nice rooms, very nice and accommodating staff

it was a nice place in a nice area. I would stay there again if I go back.

Nathan
2008-03-19
Canadian

Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo Reviews from the Web

This is over all so bulshit hostel. main thing Is that when you will go stairs for room. There is so smell in gallery because I don' think they washed carpet any day in life. So smell. And when you will arrive in room,there is too much smell in room ,and in toilet you can not sit. totally bulshit hostel. I pour half of my perfume Smell there. .

For staff . They are rude. When I was go there .a Tunisian guy was there so rude.I said I can't find room. He said it's your own responsibiliy.

ahsanmazari953854
2022-07-28

It is a fair place for the price you are paying. The facilities are a bit confuses and really tight.

edupajeu
2022-07-27

The room was really cramped and the showers were not cleaned daily . Its a really convenient stay to everywhere especially the tourist destinations. But rooms and general cleanliness is not good ! If you dont mind that , its a good stay

usaamahv1100
2022-07-18

Great location, staff was friendly and check in easy. They let me store my bags for free for the day after I checked out even though the sign said it cost 3 euros. The rooms are tiny and beds are cramped (Im quite tall). No storage lockers in the room themselves. Also didnt think Id care but the bathrooms are smaller than an airplane bathroom. For 20 and the location, the hostel is tolerable for one night but I wouldnt pay any more. Kitchen you can use and a decent common area.

ianfboldiston6607
2022-07-10

Pretty ridiculous what they can get away with in Amsterdam. Dirty, stinky, tiny, old.

Valentinflietner1200
2022-07-09

Ended up paying 20euro more at the desk than it said online, and the washrooms are gross.

oreillyclanel3275
2022-07-05

This place is just generally foul. Check in took 30 minutes, theres a black cat, and residents seem to have no respect for the property or others in their room. The bathroom ran out of toilet paper and it was up to the tenants to get it from downstairs (five floors down). The whole place smells like mold. Its literally a recipe for disaster.

Amsterdam is an Expensive city. We stayed here for a cheap stay, which I regret. If youre coming to visit, pay the extra $20 a night elsewhere.goodluck

axvMpKR5qcokycCa
2022-06-18

This hostel's suitable for those who wanna have a place to sleep after a long night partying, for it's literally at the party scene. All bars and clubs are at its doorstep. For those who need a place to rest, it's really not the place cuz all the noise and music from the parties in the surrounding can be heard in the hostel's rooms. The rooms are small and have terrible ventilation system. They're very warm over the summer. Bathrooms are ridiculously tiny. No locks to keep the luggages safe.

miriambonati9220
2022-06-18

Very very good place for money. Just expect that, a budget hostel! I feel a lot of negative reviews are people expecting a lot more. Its a place to sleep ! The only negative side is the staff may try get more money out of you than you owe so just work out how much you should pay before arrival. As well as no air con so when it is hot, its very hot.

jackwilliamgarvey2105
2022-06-16

Great location , right in the heart of Amsterdam , close to everything you need . Staff were very welcoming.

emilyalisoncole986910
2022-06-09

The staff are excellent! I met some very nice people as well! I like many things about Amsterdam, but the stairs in Amsterdam are not one of them. I love Tikka the cat!

mslizzyno15446
2022-06-07

Worst place in the world

bouchpaul1158319
2022-06-02

Dirty rooms, extremely precarious sanitary conditions, sheets with brown stains (leave it to your imagination) one more than one bed, dirty (and tiny) bathrooms.

Despite having asked to the staff for one pillow for my first night I was not provided with one - request was ignored. Rooms didnt have lockers. We had to withdraw 650 cash in the middle of Amsterdam because they said if we wanted to pay by card we would have to pay an extra of 5% of the total value. Staff rude and impolite.

ruiandrefranca4139
2022-05-27

Sheet propriety arrogant staff and howner dirty as fu..... 1 toilette for 30 people and be carfull to youre staff couse cleaners likes a lot looking in youre bag and stiling weed

fainaadrian6032
2022-05-13

WORST HOSTAL EVER! the facilities are terrible, theres bathrooms only in the 2nd and 3rd floor (try not to use them). The 1st floor bathroom had cat on the floor and smelled terrible. Its so overpriced youre definitely not getting what you paid for.

lalarendon12274226
2022-04-30

Great location, helpfull staf, good prices.

tangent8782
2022-04-24

The WORST place I already see. The WORST hostel in my life ..

samuel_blancopeil7764
2022-04-22

Its great for the location but be prepared to pay 6 euro for a towel and 4 for water.

jancomeister7311
2022-04-21

Although some staff were friendly, on 2 occasions as I was on my way out, I got asked if I stayed here emmm yeah, being asked my room number showing my key etc, it felt like they were checking if Im meant to here! (I paid lol ) . I feel the rooms are to small to have 2 triple tier bunks, less that a foot between the 2 bunks for 6 people to move around. For tall people the frame of one bed isnt long enough ( could not stretch my feet) pls rearrange maybe less people per room with better beds

Rogerst8059023
2022-04-19

This place has a bad vibe in general, only book if desperate. When I checked in there were some hidden charges like 4 extra for paying with a card and a 10 deposit. When I told him that I didnt have any cash, he said that he would have to hold my passport! Also the bed was incredibly dirty, so I just checked out and went somewhere else. Id already paid though, so pretty awful/ expensive experience. Before that, I asked the guy from clean sheets and he gave me two pillowcases

jondaraujo8435
2022-04-15

Hostel Orfeo is located in the heart of the centre of the city, established in 1969. it is situated within a short walk to the Leidseplein, the Kerkstraat, the Reguliersdwarsstraat and Vondelpark.
We are a guest hostel located within a short walk you will find the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh and the Stedelijk Museums as well as the Holland Casino and the City Theater.

We have rooms with shared bathroom facilities and rooms rooms with private en-suites that are available on request. Each comfortable room has TV, and a washbasin.

WE ACCEPT ONLY CASH!!

-FREE INTERNET
-FREE BREAKFAST

PLEASE BE ON TIME FOR CHECK-IN OR CONTACT US IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE LATE!!

WE ACCEPT CASH ONLY for payment on arrival

Prices do not include the 5% city tax.

Cancellation must occur 72 hours before the check-in date.

Concellation can only with E-mail !!

• From Schipol Airport: you can either take a taxi diectly to us (approx €35) or you can take a train to Amsterdam Central Station.
• From Centraal Station you can take trams 1, 2, or 5 to Prinsengracht. From Prinsengracht make a left once you step off the tram (the canal should be on your left). Then, take the first right which is Leidsekruisstraat. Welcome!

Address: Leidsekruisstraat 12-14, Centrum, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands

Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com HostelsClub

Website Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo Amsterdam www.hotelorfeo.com
Phone Number: +31(0)206231347

Bike Rental

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Amsterdam Hostel Orfeo