Gardner Hotel - El Paso Hostel, El Paso

6.3

Gardner Hotel - El Paso Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Gardner Hotel - El Paso Hostel rated on booking websites?

Gardner Hotel - El Paso Hostel Reviews

Very welcoming

Very impressed with the beautiful modern rooms, considering the low rates! Staff were very welcoming and knowledgeable of the hotel history and local events to keep me busy when I wasn't working. A quaint little hotel with a great history!

2016-12-15
Age 32 | Usa

Not pleasant

This hotel is in nice part of town and is in an old building that looks like it was made in the early 20th century. My mom and I stayed on a Sunday night. We needed a place to sleep and recharge and seemed like a good pit stop for our road trip. We were not able to accomplish either of those things by staying at this hotel/hostel. There is a bar within a block of the hotel called Briar that has been there for 25 years and plays LOUD DJ music from 10 pm to 2 am every Sunday night. Needless to say, it was impossible to fall asleep with loud radio remix EDM filling the room. My mom and I felt like we were 2 of maybe 4 other guests in this 4 story building hotel and somehow we were put in a room with a window facing this bar. We called the front desk clerk and he was less than helpful. In fact, he did not want to help us. It was not until 1 am, my mother could not take it anymore and walked downstairs to the front desk and demanded another room and he claimed the music was only going to playing for another hour and gave her ear plugs. She noticed all of the available keys in the key boxes behind the counter and asked to be moved again. The following morning, we were finally approached by the owners. It was obvious that their strengths were not in customer service. They asked us, and I quote, "if it was so bad, why did you not just leave?" We did not leave because it was 1 am and we had already paid for the room and there were literally numerous rooms we could had easily been moved too since the hotel was practically empty. Not to mention we had driven 11 hours that day.This is not at all like a hostel. It is a hotel that has bunk beds in some of the rooms and therefore thinks it can call itself a hostel. The communal kitchen had bowls and plates but no utensils, or any other form of kitchen necessities, like a basic coffee maker or a can opener. Despite our sleepless night, the owners were not apologetic (even though they know the routine of this bar) and were not willing to make up for their lack in providing quality service. I will never stay here again and would not recommend this as a place to stay. Hostels are about community and not about over charging for a bunk bed with inconsiderate people running it.

2016-05-21
Age 24 | USA

Ideal for a night's stay in El Paso

Ideal for a night's stay in El Paso. I stayed here and enjoyed my stay at the Gardner Hotel. I will be back for sure. Great location great price. Friendly staff and accommodating. Room and hotel was clean!

Brett
2012-09-26

Ok if you are traveling alone and don't mind roughing it

I stayed at the hostel in early 2006. but the only good parts were that it is cheap and close to the greyhound bus station. the desk guy wasn't that helpful. i actually rode the bus from tucson with some ex-cons, and they stayed at the same hostel. the desk guy seemed to know them well. i think that says it all.

i had a room to myself, with shared bathroom, which was small but sort-of clean. the heating was ok. my advice, it's ok to stay. many restaurants are close by, as is the only nightclub -- but be careful there, high school girls try and pick you up, but you might get rolled in the carpark outside by their mexican friends when you try and walk back to the hostel after a few drinks. keep your important stuff with you at all times -- don't leave it in the rooms as the door locks are poor quality, and most ex-criminals that flop there know how to break them open easily. it's cheap, but be careful, guys.

adrian
2007-12-10
australia

No air conditioning in rooms, illegal parking available

If you're visiting during the summer, or when the weather is hot, which I suppose is most times of the year in El Paso, I suggest that you skip this hostel. There's no individual air conditioning in the guest rooms, so prepare to sweat. I checked out almost immediately. Otherwise, the room and bathroom was reasonably clean. Of course, you will need an extra set of sheets, because you will sweat like a pig in this hostel. Parking is on the street only, and there is "no parking" from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. per the parking meter. If you drive, prepare to park illegally, or at one of the city garages down the street. If you do decide to stay, sleep in the lobby or in the hallway. This may be the only way you'll tolerate the heat, unless you're accustomed to sleeping under the stars. El Paso and Juarez are a nice place to visit. I was happy to spend a few extra dollars and stay the night at the a motel down the road. You'll find out that air conditioning is not the thing to skip in El Paso. Nonetheless, my one hour stay at this hostel hasn't soured my hosteling experience. I've had great luck along the way with clean and air conditioned hostels. There are plenty out there that are comfortable, just not in El Paso apparently.

Trevor
2007-07-14

El Paso's Embarrassment

The beds are uncomfortable. The staff made me worry about what a foreigner would think of the U.S. It is not a hostel, just a long-term residence hotel with a false pretense. It is not even an interesting place to stay. It is more halfway house than hostel. Try someplace else.

Sanders Noblitt
2007-05-31

I also had an incredibly bad stay at this hostel. The staff nice enough, the rooms however, terrible. I had a one meter by one meter puddle on the floor seeping from the adjoined bathroom, and when I finally decided to jump the puddle I found menstrual blood all over the toilet seat thanks to some of the permanent live in guests. My advice. Don't stay at a hostel with permanent residents unless they work there.

Dyan dos santos
2006-09-28

I stayed here in January 2006. The manager was very friendly and nice. He took me and another fellow hosteler to White Sands, an incredible experience. It's minutes from the Greyhound, but again the Manager was great and drove me there since I had a lot of stuff. The bathroom is a little dirty, but that's from age. Overall, it's a nice place but has some long-term living residence who usually just keep to themselves. I would return.

Canadian traveler
2006-07-21

Nationally awarded hostel and hotel. Great service & atmosphere. Part of Gardner Hotel. Private rooms available. Along with weekly rates.

The Gardner is the oldest continually operating hotel in the city. The rooms still have their original antique furniture, although cable TV and new telephones have been added. In the 1930's, the notorious gangster John Dillinger stayed at the Gardner Hotel just before his capture in Tucson, Arizona.

Only a short distance is Jaurez, the 4th largest city in Mexico. Enjoy the open air markets, real Mexican cuisine and a taste of another culture. If your appetite is for real Texan, El Paso offers the best in making you at home. Our staff will be happy to help you find the scene you are looking for.

We offer a full service to all travellers. Enjoy our unique atmosphere of guests from all over the world.

• Located downtown in the financial district.
• 1 mile to Juarez Mexico, Greyhound 7 blocks, Amtrak 1 mile, city buses 2 blocks.

Address: 311 East Franklin Avenue, El Paso, Texas, USA

Gardner Hotel - El Paso Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Gardner Hotel - El Paso Hostel El Paso (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +1 (915) 532-3661

Elevator/Lift

Table Tennis

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Gardner Hotel - El Paso Hostel