Sydney Central Backpackers, Sydney

Kings Cross
5.3

Sydney Central Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld HostelsClub Booking.com

How is Sydney Central Backpackers rated on booking websites?

Sydney Central Backpackers Reviews

Kitchen small, rooms dirty

Katie is such a asset to this hostel. she is a real pro -- knowing how to greet people when they arrive, and helpful during their stay. In fact i would not have stay there were it not for seeing her cheerful and friendly face on the front desk.

Brenda
2008-10-10
Canada

The best hostel I stayed at in Oz from a social point of view, the hostel organises quiz nights, which is a great way of meeting people. the hostel itself isn't anything to really set the world alight although it was generally fine. The kitchen area is way too small for the number of guests and the rooms are ok. The staff were great on the whole but Daniel lets the side down a bit, he was a nice enough chap but his lack of enthusiasm for the job is obvious! Overall a great hostel for fun and socialising.

CARL (UK)
2007-02-25

This hostel is terrible value. They (along with the rest of Sydney) cashed in on it being New Year by charging AUS$100 per night for a damp smelling double room, with no bathroom or even a sink, and we had to book for ten nights. For this price in most other cities we've been to, we could have stayed in a three-star hotel. The one sink is so tiny it is unusable and there is one sink, toilet, and shower per floor. The kitchen is also tiny for the amount of guests and it's a rugby scrum in the evening to get anything cooked. Breakfast is cheap -- coffee and tea and a couple of loaves of bread left out for toast, which is all gone by 8 a.m. The worst thing -- the tannoy system. It is a gross invasion of privacy and lends a gulag-style air to the place, not what you want on your holiday. We were woken every morning by the idiot on the front desk barking orders into the microphone, and if he's been drinking then he thinks it's hilarious to use the tannoy endlessly for his own amusement. Hideous -- don't stay here.

Rachboc
2007-02-02

Brilliant. So much fun. Had a fantastic time here. Staff and people absolutely lovely. Great breakfast. Stayed for 10 nights but could have stayed longer.

Tara
2006-06-17

This was the first backpacker I was in and when I arrived on my first day in Sydney I was really sorry I had booked -- and paid -- it already for five nights. Yes, it's cheap, but it's also dirty and the bathroom is a joke. The sink in the toilet is so small and has separate cold and hot water, and there is only cold water in the rooms. Everything looks so dirty, you really don't want to touch anything or if you have to, wash your hands after. But the biggest shock was the cockroach that we found in our room. It was so disgusting! Everything looks old and I now would rather pay more than sleep again in such a backpacker.

Niki
2006-06-14

The best hostel of our complete round-the-world trip. I have never experienced such a great atmosphere in a backpacker's hostel before. And we got more than what we paid for and expected to get. You can get and watch DVDs for free, the activities are great and the kitchen and rooms are clean.

Stefan
2005-07-29

This place has decent double rooms in a nice, quiet location towards Potts Point. The kitchen is somewhat cramped but it's big enough to cook decent meals in. Nice showers and toilets and an excellent roof terrace made this a nice place to stay for a week in Sydney.

Matt
2005-01-05

Great location, within walking distance of Kings Cross station. There are a lot of restaurants on Victoria Street, and on the other side of the block parallel to Victoria is the Red District. I loved it. The staff are so friendly, and they even discount their prices when the hostel is not full. It has a small kitchen, but it's very clean. I would definitely go back to this hostel.

Jose
2004-06-27

Sydney Central Backpackers Reviews from the Web

Would have been nice to have had either doonas or working heaters but hey you get what you pay for innit

mon_delonge9784
2022-06-25

I stayed at this hostel a month ago , and the pictures they show you on internet are completelly different from the real. The first hostel I arrived to Australia was this one and it was very disappointed. The mattress is not even a matress, showers broken, toilets dirty all day , you can hear the water pipes in your bedroom, horrible smell in all the hostel in general , crocrouches everywhere, not very inspiring to do a simple dinner.

Never again staying there.

marinapdevilla
2022-03-26

Bad experience! Ive just had arrived to Australia to this hostel.. in the room I saw a huge spider so scary!! I dont recommend at all this place. Also was very disgusting. I ran away to different place. No refund .. In Sydney are much better hostels. Good luck with your searching

indiralucy3071
2022-03-17

Expensive and always excessive dirty the bathroom and the kitchen.

silvinaalerodriguez672
2022-02-10

This place made me pay a $30 key deposit that was refundable upon returning the key.

DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR TRICKS.

They made me leave without the deposit saying the manager will call back for the refund and direct deposit it after I had checked out.

They never reached out and when I called, they said that they had refunded cash on the day. I told them no, and the manager said he would investigate it and ring me back. To NOT MY SURPRISE, he did not call me back. Untidy. Better places to book

shionnorthey015047
2021-12-14

Liked: Two of the girls at reception were nice Didn't like: Where do I begin... How about their ARE RATS IN THE ROOMS.

This place is real disgusting. The rat waking me up in the morning topped it off. But, I mean, this place has it all. Cockroaches everywhere, nasty clientele, breakfast is a joke (half a box of cereal where the long time stayers contaminate it with their hands and pull out the cereal from the box), very unhelpful and snooty general manager, disgusting bathrooms. But, most of all, RATS COMING OUT OF HOLES IN THE ROOMS, Unless you like rodents.....

2018-02-16

Liked: Easy Access Didn't like: The Schuttle service from the airport at 10$ to the Backpack was very Bad. I ordered My taxi at 10h30 and the taxi call me back 2 hours after !

2017-03-27

Liked: Central location Didn't like: Kitchen too small and often untidy, too few bathrooms.

2017-03-25

Liked: Convinence location on a quite street Didn't like: Only 2 shower rooms each floor; people talk so loud at night; no AC in the room; no elevator.

2017-02-20

Liked: Price ok for location Didn't like: Door opened onto a shelf so was quite hard to get out with a backpack on!

2015-12-27

Liked: Close to the train station.. My room was fair size with fridge and sink Didn't like: Not many toilets and the shower was just a wet room with no where to change and put ye stuff

2015-12-01

Liked: Location and roof topAnd the internet works Didn't like: The room was the smallest thing I've ever seen even if I've chose to pay more for a 4 dorm thinking it would be better , the bathroom was constantly smelly and dirtyThe kitchen lacs in teatowels and dishwashing liquid, reason why dishes are left behind in the sink

2015-10-31

Liked: Nice room!! Number 19 lots of space for four people!!amazing roof terrace with great views of sydney, including the bridge and opera house.Fridge in room was very good. Didn't like: Kitchen was very small and sometimes too crowded and washing of dishes was not always done so looked a bit messy.Upstairs bbq was not cleaned but i guess thats down to the guests.

2015-10-27

Liked: Free breakfast, good location, nice roof terasse Didn't like: Rooms really small, rooms and bathrooms dirty, stuft completely unhelpful and unfriendly (at least 1 girl)

2015-08-30

Liked: Location, cleaning, atmosphere Didn't like: Staff

2015-05-15

Sydney Central Backpackers sits in the heart of the most beautiful city in the world, just minutes from our doorstep are the famous Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Wake up to our free breakfast every morning and experience what Sydney has to offer!

Spend your morning strolling through the botanical gardens located just next door then head over to Bondi Beach. Come home and enjoy a traditional Aussie Barbie on our beautiful rooftop garden with the spectacular Sydney city skyline and the Opera House as the backdrop. Then, after dark, enjoy music and dance at one of the many bars or pubs in Sydney's most colorful district 'The Cross'.

Please ensure that you make a request if you wish to stay in the same room when booking on short notice.

Car Parking available
Offsite parking available , reservations required- $25 every 24hrs

General Rules
18-35 years of age only, ONLY International photo ID required at check-in for all guests.

If you are making a reservation for more than one person in a dormitory room we cannot guarantee that you will be allocated beds in the same room.
Please ensure that you make a request when booking on short notice.
Check-ins are any time after 2pm and Checkout time is before 10am. If you need to check-out earlier than 8:30am, please come to reception the day before by 9pm.
A $30 key deposit is required and will be returned to you upon check-out before 10am.
Reception hours are from 8:30am to 12:00am - hours may differ during the day.

Cancellation Policy
24-hour notice is required for all cancellations prior to check in. Bookings should be cancelled by 2pm the day before scheduled arrival.
Any cancellations made within 24 hours of arrival date will be charged the first night .
All No Shows will incur a 1 night (first night) charge per our cancellation policy .
All transactions will incur a 2% surcharge
Credit cards will incur a 2% fee.
There is a strict no refund policy, so should you decide to cancel and have paid for your accommodation, we cannot issue a refund.

For the New Year period we require a 5-night minimum stay between 28th December and the 2nd of January.
We will charge 100% of your booking plus 2% credit card commission fees on the 1st of December via credit card supplied at the time of booking.
**If you wish to stay a reduced number of nights in this period, you will still have to pay for five nights.
***New Year’s Eve payments taken after 1 December are non-refundable unless cancellations are made by 15 December

• If arriving from the Airport SYDNEY SHUTTLES charges $16 shuttle service (running from 5.30AM to 7PM). the driver will drop you off to our doorstep.
• From Central Station take blue train line which heads towards Bondi Junction. Get off at the Kings Cross station. Use the Darlinghurst Rd exit. Turn left when you come out of the station and follow Darlinghurst Rd. until you hit Orwell St. We are halfway down Orwell Street.

Address: 16 Orwell Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia