Sydney Central Backpackers

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Sydney Central Backpackers" at 16 Orwell Street.)

16 Orwell Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
-33.786506, 150.902269 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.sydneybackpackers.com.au
+61 (2) 9358-6600
+61 (2) 9356-3799

How is Sydney Central Backpackers rated on other websites?

Kitchen small, rooms dirty
Katie is such a asset to this hostel. she is a real pro -- knowing how to greet people when they arrive, and helpful during their stay. In fact i would not have stay there were it not for seeing her cheerful and friendly face on the front desk.
Brenda
(Canada)
2008-10-10
  The best hostel I stayed at in Oz from a social point of view, the hostel organises quiz nights, which is a great way of meeting people. the hostel itself isn't anything to really set the world alight although it was generally fine. The kitchen area is way too small for the number of guests and the rooms are ok. The staff were great on the whole but Daniel lets the side down a bit, he was a nice enough chap but his lack of enthusiasm for the job is obvious! Overall a great hostel for fun and socialising.
CARL (UK)
2007-02-25
  This hostel is terrible value. They (along with the rest of Sydney) cashed in on it being New Year by charging AUS$100 per night for a damp smelling double room, with no bathroom or even a sink, and we had to book for ten nights. For this price in most other cities we've been to, we could have stayed in a three-star hotel. The one sink is so tiny it is unusable and there is one sink, toilet, and shower per floor. The kitchen is also tiny for the amount of guests and it's a rugby scrum in the evening to get anything cooked. Breakfast is cheap -- coffee and tea and a couple of loaves of bread left out for toast, which is all gone by 8 a.m. The worst thing -- the tannoy system. It is a gross invasion of privacy and lends a gulag-style air to the place, not what you want on your holiday. We were woken every morning by the idiot on the front desk barking orders into the microphone, and if he's been drinking then he thinks it's hilarious to use the tannoy endlessly for his own amusement. Hideous -- don't stay here.
Rachboc
2007-02-02
  Brilliant. So much fun. Had a fantastic time here. Staff and people absolutely lovely. Great breakfast. Stayed for 10 nights but could have stayed longer.
Tara
2006-06-17
  This was the first backpacker I was in and when I arrived on my first day in Sydney I was really sorry I had booked -- and paid -- it already for five nights. Yes, it's cheap, but it's also dirty and the bathroom is a joke. The sink in the toilet is so small and has separate cold and hot water, and there is only cold water in the rooms. Everything looks so dirty, you really don't want to touch anything or if you have to, wash your hands after. But the biggest shock was the cockroach that we found in our room. It was so disgusting! Everything looks old and I now would rather pay more than sleep again in such a backpacker.
Niki
2006-06-14
  The best hostel of our complete round-the-world trip. I have never experienced such a great atmosphere in a backpacker's hostel before. And we got more than what we paid for and expected to get. You can get and watch DVDs for free, the activities are great and the kitchen and rooms are clean.
Stefan
2005-07-29
  This place has decent double rooms in a nice, quiet location towards Potts Point. The kitchen is somewhat cramped but it's big enough to cook decent meals in. Nice showers and toilets and an excellent roof terrace made this a nice place to stay for a week in Sydney.
Matt
2005-01-05
  Great location, within walking distance of Kings Cross station. There are a lot of restaurants on Victoria Street, and on the other side of the block parallel to Victoria is the Red District. I loved it. The staff are so friendly, and they even discount their prices when the hostel is not full. It has a small kitchen, but it's very clean. I would definitely go back to this hostel.
Jose