Cable Beach Backpackers

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Cable Beach Backpackers" at 12 Sanctuary Drive.)

12 Sanctuary Drive, Broome, Western Australia, Australia
-17.931103, 122.217690 (accuracy not guaranteed)
+61 (8) 9193-5511 Freecall: 1800 655 011
+61 (8) 9193-5532

How is Cable Beach Backpackers rated on other websites?

75% Guest Reviews

Worst management I've ever come across
Owner is an actual a**hole. If you wish to be spoken down to like you are an imbecile when approaching the management regarding an issue, stay here. Expect useless excuses for their poor performance and for them to even walk off and blank you because they cannot face up to their failings. Management are plain rude and incompetent; clearly they do not have a head for customer service or running a business. Should you confront or criticise them in any you will find they will be petty and deny you service -- no money back or use of their stated shuttle service. The check-in process was extortionately laborious and tedious. It took 10-15 minutes to check in each person; not fun after a long drive on a very hot day. This area could do with a large amount of updating and streamlining. The kitchen is riddled with biting ants. Nothing is done to irradiate this pest or neither do staff apologise for having anything you leave in there (fridge, shelf, or even on the work tops) ruined by the ants even when you take pains to store it all correctly as they advise. I left my bread on the counter for less than a minute and it got ant infested. When I went to pick it up unaware of what happened and found my arms were swarmed with ants and I had an allergic reaction to their bites. Managements action was to shrug off my ruined food, throw $2 at me and in his words "to shut you up because I can't be bothered to deal with you." Bathrooms [female] have no ventilation, water logged floors (massive health and safety hazard) and shower plugs full of hair and sand every time I used them even after following in after the cleaner had finished "cleaning" it. Rooms [fan cooled] are very basic. Two floor fans that are only just able to reach/cool the lower bunks and one ceiling fan that isn't powerful to move any air making these rooms very stuffy. We found bugs in our bed and response from management was only to give us some spray for them not help us get new beds or bedding. The mattresses we had looked ancient and in dire need or replacing. Rooms are not cleaned daily so the floors got very dusty and sandy and the bin overflowed. There are no storage facilities or lockers available in or out of the rooms for luggage or personal items. Yes this is budget accommodation and I was on no way expecting hotel/resort standards but after having stayed in literally hundreds of hostels across Australia I was extremely disappointed with the service and way I was treated here. I always look for some positives in every place I stay, even if it's of poor quality but here I cannot justify any reason to write any for this establishment on this occasion. I would advise you pay more for other local hostels with better standards and quality service.
Great central place
Great place to stay -- close to the beach and shops, very clean rooms. And it's true you can see the camels walking by on their way to the beach.
Good location within walking distance of Cable Beach. Big kitchen. Helpful staff. Dorm rooms have poor ventilation and no air-conditioning, only fans. Beware of rooms 1, 2, 6, 7 -- they face onto the central courtyard with the dining and bar area. Since you have to keep the window open to alleviate some of the stuffiness, these rooms are noisy!
It was ok!
The Hostel itself is great to look at and amazing, but there are hidden charges, like $10 for sheets and $10 for plates! The rooms themselves are clean and do have a fan in but they are not air conned like the leaflet said! At night the hostel is ok but the staff close everything up by 10 p.m. and by then you have to be very quiet for you will get evicted like we were. we stayed here for over six weeks and we're shucked out on our first warning. The staff are ok but the place is poorly managed and you can get away with a lot of stuff there if you just say sorry to the staff! What kind of a place is that?
I stayed here with a group of people after we finished our west coast tour in May 2007. Luckily, I only stayed one night as I was traveling on. The room we were given (note I was not given a choice) was not air-conditioned, only a fan was available which did nothing but circulate warm air. It was warmer in the room than outside! I find it astonishing that at $24 per night, air conditioning is not standard in all rooms, especially because of the tropical climate. I have stayed in many hostels in Cairns and Darwin, both tropical climates, and both had air conditioning. The place overall was very average. Plus, I lost my debit card on the premises (my fault, I realise that), but the staff were less than enthused about helping me locate it. I asked three times but no sign. My final point in this rant is regarding a sign that is posted in the kitchen. The sign was posted as a result of some people in the hostel overloading a bin when there was another empty bin available. The sign, written and posted by staff, refers to the person(s) as "stupid" and "lazy." I was absolutely amazed that hostel staff could be so foolish to erect that sign, making derogatory remarks about its guests. That, to me, summed up this hostel, and the attitudes of its staff. I am sure that there are better hostels in Broome than this establishment. I would recommend that anyone reading this comment seek a different hostel, even if it means a bus ride to the beach (which is more like a ten-minute walk away from the hostel, which is not good when it's really hot). Trust me, I know you'll be glad you did.
  I stayed in a double room with air conditioning in the old "Broome style" house and loved it. The staff were efficient, and the atmosphere relaxed. Would I go there again? Easy. Yes. In fact having sampled the other two backpackers in town, Cable Beach is my preference. There isn't that desperate 'party' vibe that was a part of some of the others. If you want to kick back and cruise in your own space, this is a good budget option to do it in. Well done.
  I thought it was fantastic value for money! I wanted to stay at a motel but they didn't have availability and I ended up staying here by default. Anything else at the beach is over $200 a night and they don't offer free pick up, free buses to town, free food -- that's all extra. It's well located, extremely clean, has a great atmosphere, the staff were helpful but busy. Anyone who complains about this place wouldn't be happy anywhere, most likely they have champagne tastes with a beer budget.
  What a dump! I paid $65 for a "private double room," which had bamboo blinds on the windows. It was anything but private, and the security lights came on at all times of the night, shining right through. They gave me beach towels to put up over the blinds, but when you pay extra for a double room, you expect better to start with. The bed was so squeaky I woke up every time I -- or the person in the room beside me -- rolled over. The bathrooms were dirty and full of hair. The tin dishes I had to rent were rusty. The AC unit was too noisy to use, and the fan nearly blew me out of the room (it only worked on high speed). The metal roof meant that fighting possums woke me up throughout the night. The staff were overly confident and not generally helpful. I would have moved, but there was no place to go -- even for way more money. I seriously considered renting a car to sleep in, just to escape! For $70 on the Gold Coast, I had a fully equipped one bedroom apartment right across the street from the beach -- what a difference!
Aussie Heart