Paradiso Backpackers Hostel, Nelson

5.9

Paradiso Backpackers Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com Hostelworld

How is Paradiso Backpackers Hostel rated on booking websites?

Paradiso Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Reception very kindly

A Clean double room and a big kitchen!

Yu Wen
2012-10-18
Taiwan

Fire alarms, ants, rude receptionist

At first when I arrived at this place I thought it was chilled out and relaxed. How wrong I was. The fire alarm went off for two nights in a row on at least THREE occasions. It got to the point, where everyone in my room was ignoring the alarm. The receptionist (blonde hair and glasses) couldn't give a damn. Whatever about ants and the like. Fire alarms in the middle of the night is not fun especially if you think that the place is burning down. Ruined my experience.

2011-02-12
Ireland

Looked nice on the Web site but it stopped there. Dirty Motel & Ants

It looked real nice on the Web but I had no time during the day to look around. my partner complained that the carpet was dirty and ants all around the bathroom the hand basin was so slow draining you couldn't wash it out. there were broken light fittings and during the night we had ants crawling in the bed after shaking them out. I thought it would be ok I was too busy with an early start and late night the first night on the second night we got invaded with Ants again. On checkout I spoke to the nasty receptionist who make out she new nothing when I asked how she would feel about it she would not answer I contacted the Owner/Manager who really didn't care about it. 25 April 2010 I gave her a chance I waited 2 months and nothing she didn't give a dam. If you like that sort of dump stay at your own risk I am also contacting the Nelson City Council these conditions.

Roger Lauder. Blenheim
2010-06-18
NZ

Great community spirit

I had a great time at Paradiso -- very friendly and everyone meets in the large kitchen to plan the day/night or arrange a party! Nice rooms, showers very good. having traveled a lot this is a really great place to stay.

Tinac
2009-05-04
UK

Avoid at all costs!

Paradiso has got to be the worst hostel we've ever come across. Don't be fooled by the great-looking pix from the website and the raving reviews. We've recently visited, and were horrified with the real Paradiso. Rhonda, the very rude operator/receptionist was not at all surprised and sympathetic when we complaint over the disgusting, health-hazard of a room she rent out to us. She did not even offer any apologies, resolutions or refund and we ended up staying elsewhere because we were concerned over breathing & sleeping in the noisy, smelly, mold-covered room.

Terry P
2009-04-17
Australian

Lots of fun, relaxing, and never boring.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for from a hostel as to whether you'd enjoy this place. I stayed there for nine nights all in all, in a few different rooms. The block of four-bed en-suite rooms are nice and clean, but I preferred the six-bed dorms within the main house, which are also cheaper. It's quite a lively place and there will probably be drinking most nights in the kitchen/bus but everyones very friendly, and it's still quiet in the rooms (unlike a base hostel, where the bar can be heard from everywhere!). The night porter will generally keep the kitchen area quiet after 11 p.m.-ish, and there's a bus in the garden for anyone to be up later. There are always some people who have stayed there for a while and are the staff/working in Nelson, the people who were there when I were, were very friendly people and good company who I'd happily spend time with when my traveling friends were elsewhere. It's a nice kitchen with lots of seating, however it does get busy at 6 or 7 p.m. for free soup. Two lounges, one for DVDs (there's a movie night with a newish movie and free popcorn two times a week). It's a ten-minute walk into town where there's a decent selection of bars/pubs for quite a small town, and a little less of a walk to Fresh Choice supermarket which is on the way. A small shop and local pub (with cheap, nice beers, which you can take away two litres of for $9) are five minutes away. Good base for walking Abel Tasman and close to the centre of NZ, which is a nice walk.

2008-06-06
England

Worked in Paradiso from May '06 to Oct '06 as a cleaner. What can I say, I've traveled the world but this is by far the best hostel i stayed in. If you enjoy meeting people from all walks of life and generally having a good time, this is the place to stay. Take advantage of the free pool/spa and sauna because not many other hostels provide this free of charge. Rhonda, the manager is a top woman too -- it takes a lot to run a big and busy hostel like Paradiso and she takes it all in her stride! Also check out the green bus at the bottom of the garden. Great place to socialise, play the guitar, and drink (or not!). Had some of the best nights in that bus.

Cat
2007-02-16

This place was awful! Not particularly clean, cramped living, unhelpful management, and worst of all, cold showers! Avoid.

Mairi
2006-11-26

12metre Swimming pool, Free spa pool, Free sauna -Wonderful warm villa, huge garden, beach volleyball court. Travel/Trekking information. Travel deals, kayaking, mountain bike hire, atmosphere! Check us out. Bus drop-off, free pick-up. 650m to city. FREE UNLIMITED WIFI, Free breakfast, free homemade vegetable soup.

This wonderful hostel is packed with features that provide a friendly atmosphere, where fun times and new friends can be made.
Paradiso backpack hostel is only a 10 minute walk to town, where vibrant nightlife, restaurants, craft shops and Cafés abound. We offer travel/trekking info, camping, free storage, Abel Tasman Park gear hire, FAX, culture, relaxation and good deals on travel, kayaking, skydiving, mountain bikes, daily bone carving courses, and much more!
Bus drop-off at our gate or free pick-up at arrangement.
Doubles, twins, singles and dorms available at competitive prices.

Video of Paradiso Backpackers Hostel

Here is a video of Paradiso Backpackers Hostel. The video gives you a better understanding of what you can expect.

Address: 42 Weka Street, Nelson, New Zealand

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 14

Min. Age with Parent (private room): 12

Reception Hours: 7.45-12.00pm and 2.00pm-8.30pm

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate Paradiso Backpackers Hostel