Bert's Backpackers, Sydney

Paddington
7.0

Bert's Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com Hostelworld

How is Bert's Backpackers rated on booking websites?

Bert's Backpackers Reviews

One of Sydney's Worst.

They conduct Illegal, unannounced Room Searches for Alcohol. A staff member will open a room door, whilst yelling out alcohol check. They literally walk in with no warning at all. No regards for security, or privacy. In addition, one girl also came into the common area, opened up people's drink bottles without asking, and sniffed them. She didnt announce what she was doing, or who she was. It was freaking creepy. The beds are horrible and they pack guests in. The common area is unwelcoming. The promised rooftop with free BBQ" does not exist. The Kitchen is always filthy. Youll be eating out a lot. The Wifi rarely works. No Security for your possessions. Not even paid lockers. The laundry only has 2 dryers, one of which has been broken for years. Finally, the showers and toilets had pubes, used razor blades, and grime that stayed there for days on end. When I asked if they could be cleaned, I was told theyre always like that. Seriously. Legitimately one of the unfriendliest places I've been in. A couple of the bar girls who check you in downstairs were lovely. But nobody should be allowed to sniff your bloody drinks, or come into your room like that.

Ben
2016-04-09
Age 35 | Australia

Worst hostel ever

We stayed for 6 nights at the captain cook hostel in Sydney. They have the worst beds ever. Charged way too much money for the last 3 nights, internet said 18 dollars, they charged is 25 dollars. If u need anything from the reception, u'll be lucky if you find someone there during the day or evening. The dryer is not working. The kitchen is dirty and doesn't even have soap to do your dishes. Rooms are full with dust and we had to use the same sheets and towels for a week. Absolutely no control if persons bring guests or not. We will never return.

Misse
2013-09-12
Age 22 | Belgium

Good

I stayed in this hostel in 2000. All I can say is back then it was clean and well run. Always very busy with friendly staff and back packers alike.

peter
2009-12-29
British

You get what you pay for

It was the only place available New Year 2007 and the cheapest! I stayed in a twelve-bed dorm which was not the cleanest and the dorms look unswept for days. However, I also stayed in a private room and this was very clean. The kitchen and lounge areas are poor, but I got what I paid for -- clean sheets and a bed for the night and right on the doorstep of Oxford Street entertainment. Yes I agree with others that the office is usually locked but you can always ask at the bar area underneath and somebody will assist you. Yes I also saw cockroaches -- but then again I saw many in Sydney (rats too!).

Gabrielle Amestoy
2008-06-13
Bristish

Dirty sh*thole

I truly advise you to not go to the Captain Cook Hotel! When we arrived we found little bedbugs in and under our bed. The room looked like it haven't been cleaned for weeks. We also find stuff under the bed from former guests like shoes and newspapers. The staff wasn't really interested in our complaints and the manager (after we found him) asked me what we would like him to do with the big cockroaches in our room. Worst hotel where my girlfriend and I have ever been.

Sander
2008-01-09
Dutch

Waste of Money

This hostel may have been a nice place to stay at one point. But winter 2007 in Sydney left me with a much worse impression. Contrary to what you might think, this is a good thirty-minute minute walk at least to the CBD. The hostel is also freezing cold with some of the worst insulation ever. The atmosphere here is straight terrible. I don't think that anyone else was even staying in the place at all. The office is never open, and the manager is near impossible to track down if you need him or anyone else. Avoid this place if you can, especially in the winter.

Jim
2007-06-21

I went to Sydney looking for a good time and a good time I got. The hostel was fantastic. I met lots of great new friends and had the holiday of a lifetime. I can't fault a thing. The staff were great fun to know and I would definitely go back again. Very fond memories cheers to everyone who works there.

2005-06-04

Captain Cook Hotel a stones throw from all the major venues in Sydney.Classic pub style accomodation with dorm rooms as well.
Great little restaurant with affordable menu and 15% discount for
in house guests.Cruisy pub atmosphere- pool table,Trivia nights,
Tab,great juke box and friendly staff.Recently under new ownership,
we're gradually refurbishing the accomodation floors.There is a guests lounge with TV,kitchen facilities,free tea and coffee,coin
operated washers and dryers and internet kiosk.We have a jobs board
and tourist info available.For the sports fans we are across the road
from the SCG and Aussie Stadium.For the music fans going to the Hordern or Fox Studios it's a 5 minute walk.Buses to the city run all the time from Flinders St,and Central Rail is a 10 minute walk.

Address: 162 Flinders Street, Paddington, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Bert's Backpackers is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Bert's Backpackers Sydney (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: 0011610293314533

ATM

Open Dates: every day except Xmas day Boxing day New Years day ? Good Friday

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Bert's Backpackers