Sun Hostel Cairo, Cairo

Downtown
5.7

Sun Hostel Cairo is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Sun Hostel Cairo rated on booking websites?

Sun Hostel Cairo Reviews

Good

staff are very friendly, great location, and great view of tarir square. made my trip worth coming for.

chetna
2013-03-23
Age 37 | british

Charming and reasonably priced hotel in central Cairo

I enjoyed my 3 nights-stay in the Sun Hotel for several reasons. first, the staff was always extremely friendly and helpful (even beyond their duty, special thanks to 'William' for helping me with my flight issues!!); second, the atmosphere was warm and familial, with lots of international guests mingling in the lobby area; third, the location is really convenient and you can overlook the vibrant Midan Tahrir (of course it will be noisy but that's Cairo anyway). only drawback was the internet connection, despite their claims that free wifi is available in all rooms it only worked in the lobby area (positive side effect -- even more people met and engaged in activities together).

overall impression was very good and the price-performance ratio was convincing, I will definitely stay at the Sun Hotel again next time in Cairo.

Katrin
2013-01-21

Excellent

Sun Hotel is excellent because his staff is very kind and ready to help you when you need! The hotel is clean. We will come back in Sun Hotel sure!

Nina
2008-09-25
France

Staff are incredibly helpful

I was due to fly out of Cairo and into Nairobi when the riots in Kenya began -- consequently I was stuck in Cairo for about four days. I stayed here and with all my worries of having to book extra flights, contact my travel insurance, reassure worried relatives back home, being at the Sun Hotel made it a lot easier. Hosam Ramy gave me his mobile phone to make international calls and would not accept money for the calls I made. When I was now stuck there he organised tours for me to get out of Cairo -- I went to the Bahariya Oasis, white and black deserts for two days. They organised taxis for me and showed me the bus to Bahariya. The hospitality of the staff is not comparable to anywhere else I have stayed. The hotel is located centrally, above a busy square with shops and fast food outlets. The KFC downstairs is handy for those wanting western food but there are many kebab shops locally. Close to an exchange bureau, atm, small supermarkets. It's on the ninth floor so the noise from outside isn't a bother.

Bridget
2008-08-11
Australian

Sometimes, I didn't even want to leave the Hostel -- it was more fun!

I was a leader of a team of six who stayed here for several weeks in the beginning and the end of our two-month trip back in Dec. 2005 and the beginning of February 2006! Our experience was only positive. The staff was always friendly, kind, and helpful -- they became our Egyptian friends! The owner even gave us a gift when we left for home! The breakfast we got every morning was fantastic! (I still dream about the breakfast!) They always told us where to go and where not to go! They kept us out of trouble and kept trouble away from us! Now, you have to remember this is Egypt. Not everyone is like them but they were a rare jewel in my eyes. I hope to get back to Egypt soon even if only to see them!

Jenna
2007-10-18
United States

The hotel itself is clean but sadly I relate experiences of a rather upsetting nature with this place that really taught me many lessons. when taking a trip to the pyramids never book it at this corrupt place! Paid too much entrance fee because of a highly aggressive "manager" (how he called himself), never passed by an official entrance but through some dodgy backside approach towards the pyramids. In the end my "friend" the "manager" put pressure on me to pay the "poor guy" who took me to the pyramids as he didn't receive any payment yet and he has family and kids to take care of. of course i didn't pay him any pound. The police that was all around didn't care at all about what was going on. my "guide" the brother from the reception guy in the hotel (mido) watched everything and so he was part of the game. In the hotel i insisted on getting my money back only to get offended by the staff. It was a hard struggle to get my money back and worked only by threatening them. I will never go there again.

Nicola Cordts
2006-12-01

My friends and I were given a very lengthy and unwelcome hard sell on tours / travel for sites all over Egypt by a staff member (Hosam Ramy). We bought a trip from the hotel to view the pyramids in Giza-- however instead of taking us to the main entrance we were taken around the back of the site on Camels through a gap in the fence where bribes were paid to the local police. We were told our entrance fee was included in the camel hire - however no official fee was ever paid. Entering via the 'back door' meant that we were not able to get up close to or go inside of the pyramids like officially paying visitors which spoilt the trip completely. The price we paid for the trip also included visiting 2 other sites - Saqqara & Memphis. When we arrived at Saqqara the driver tried to make us leave after just 10 minutes!! The driver then told us we were heading straight back to Cairo as Memphis wasn't worth going to - DO NOT BOOK TOURS / TRIPS WITH THESE PEOPLE.

Brendan Taylor
2006-02-27

Absolutely the best thing that may happen to a backpacker in Egypt is to visit Sun Hotel!!! It is located in Tahrir Square, two hundred meters only from the Egyptian Museum, and close to the bus and railway stations and every landmark in Cairo. It is clean, the beds are fairly comfortable, service is decent, and the prices more than reasonable.

But what makes this hotel extraordinary is what Ramy, the tour operator of the hotel, can offer to a traveler. If you plan to see the most of Egypt, which is what I guess the most tourists want, this is the best choice you can make! When at first he offered my girlfriend and me a tour of Aswan, Abu Simble and Luxor with accommodation, transport, tours and guides included, and all that in only four days and all that for THAT price, we thought he was joking! What do I think about that offer now? It was undoubtedly the best trip of my life!

First, Ramy can help you with the student cards, which enables discounts for every public place. In Luxor and Aswan his representatives are responsible for your accommodation and tours, they are accurate and at your service 24 hours. The hotels you're staying in are excellent and have breakfast included. The best guides, e.g. local hero Dr. Hadi in Luxor, are provided. And, finally, they are 100% reliable. Really, it's the best choice you can make! Don't hesitate! You can't make such a tour on your own, and certainly not for that cheap!

Aleksandar Jesic
2005-11-15

Sun Hostel Cairo Reviews from the Web

Liked: VERY central - a few minutes walk from the Museum. Staff EXTREMELY helpful and try the renowned "Crystal" cake shop opposite - the apple slicesare heavenly.I arrived at 2am (thankx to British Airways very delayed arrival) but a phone callfrom the airport (to check if anyone was still up) found a night porter waiting onthe steps. Didn't like: Nothing.

2013-11-22

Liked: Offers good toursClean bedrooms, toilets and common area Didn't like: Only one key for the dorm and you have to ask the staff for it, and the staff may be away.

2012-12-31

Sun Hotel opened in 1995. We wanted to show the world the new generation of hostels and hotels here in Egypt. Our guests have been happy with the results of our hard work during these last years.

We offer clean, comfortable rooms for the budget-minded traveler be they alone or part of families or large and small groups. The Sun Hotel not only caters for individual travelers but also for people on adventure tours too. This has made the Sun Hotel an ideal place for backpackers and budget travelers to exchange travel ideas that can help your money go further....

In addition to the Sun Hotel's fame for its friendly atmosphere and hospitality,
it has the No.1 location in Cairo. Situated at Talaat Harb st, probably the best
shopping street in Cairo, it is also just off Tahreer square, the home of the Egyptian Museum and the Egyptian Revolution , keeper of the world famous treasure of King Tutankamun. Here you will also find the Metro to get you around Cairo as well as many restaurants and tea and shesha cafes.

So if you are thinking of traveling to Cairo as a backpacker or budget traveler, we are sure you will find the Sun Hotel has every thing you need, and that it exceeds its fame and popularity.

• from the cairo Airport you could take Bus number 356 or number 400 to down town
• the main metro station [ Sadat metro station] downstairs from sun hotel
• Our Taxi Service: Because most flights to Cairo arrive during the early Morning hours, we offer a Taxi service that is both cheap and reliable. You simply e-mail us or phone with your flight details and our driver will be waiting at the Airport for you when you arrive. He will then transport you directly to The Sun Hotel.
• swedish Directions:
• Vår Taxi Service: Eftersom de flesta flyg till Kairo anländer under de tidiga morgontimmarna, erbjuder vi en taxi tjänst som är både billig och pålitlig. Du kan helt enkelt ett e-postmeddelande eller telefon med dina flyguppgifter och vår förare kommer att vänta på flygplatsen för dig när du anländer. Han kommer då att transportera dig direkt till The Sun Hotel.

Address: El Tahrir Square, 2 Talaat Harb St, Downtown, Cairo, Egypt

Sun Hostel Cairo is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Sun Hostel Cairo Cairo (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: 0020225781786

Digital Nomads

Family-Friendly Hostel

Safe Deposit Box

Airport Pickup (15 us$)

Bike Rental

City Tours (15 US$ per pers)

ATM

Currency Exchange

Elevator/Lift

Hot tub/Jacuzzi

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): All Ages

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Min. Age without Parent: All Ages

Maximum Stay: 1 month

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Sun Hostel Cairo