Amsterdam-West
8.5

your hostels in Amsterdam

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Shelter Jordan Christian Hostel rated on booking websites?

Shelter Jordan Christian Hostel Reviews

The Shelter Christian hostels are the cheapest hostels that we could find in Amsterdam and the Shelter Jordan Christian Hostel location is one of the best locations. We were nervous about the whole Christian thing, but all that this means is that the shelter is run by Christian volunteers. The extent of religion that is present in the place is some books and a painting on a wall that says "God loves you." You are not allowed to have any alcohol or drugs at the hostel, but that's not a big deal, because you can go outside and walk two minutes down the street and drink or smoke. Something really great about this hostel is that they serve a nice free breakfast every morning until 10 a.m. There is also no curfew, and they have a really great security system.

For the Shelter City hostel, the location is right on the street where the Red Light District begins. Literally, you walk out the front door and turn left and walk for about ten seconds and you'll hit it. With this in mind though, it isn't like the area is too loud, wild, or dangerous. You're able to get really anywhere you need to by foot, and the area is surrounded by restaurants, bars, and coffee shops ("special" coffee shops, if you know what we mean).

Although there are a lot of people staying in the rooms, there aren't really any issues that arise from this. Everyone needs to be understanding when they're in a hostel that some people may come in at 3 a.m., there's not a lot of space for doing hair/makeup, and you change clothes in front of strangers, but that's part of the hostel life. There are plenty of showers and everything is clean enough for a few days' stay.

There's a nice dining area where the staff serve a meal each day (breakfast is free before 10 a.m., and all the other meals are pretty cheap and look good) and a really cute outdoor sitting area where people would be hanging out all day.

Summary

We would definitely recommend staying at Shelter City hostel. You're not going to beat the price and location, and the place is perfectly functional for a young traveler.
#
jalvare5
Published on 2018-09-21

Good hostel

The hostel was good, personnel very patient and nice. comfortable bedroom.

Carmen
2016-03-30
Age 25 | Peru

Nice Breakfast!

There is very nice breakfast! Room is clean and nice. But there are lack of shower room and hair dryer. Toilets are dirty at night. Make sure you bring your own lock for the locker.

Cath
2015-07-03
Age 27 | HKG

Amazing staff, great accommodations, nice facilities

My travel group accidentally booked sunday night instead of Saturday and the manager went way out of his way to add extra beds to his sold-out hostel. A saturday booking even costs more than a sunday booking and he refused to accept payment of the difference and cancelled our sunday bookings free of charge 24 hours before their check-in. Most gracious hostel staff I have ever encountered.

andrew
2014-11-10
Age 21 | usa

Excellent as always

I always find this very clean for a hostel. I've stayed here 4 times and never had a bad word to say about the place. Ideal location in the Jordaan area only about 15-20mins walk from the very centre of Amsterdam, but rozengracht (and all the other main streets that surround it) have everything you need like bread, meat, cheese and obviously coffee shops, bars. Its only 5mins from the bus station (get bus 197 from schipol to marnixstraat [last stop]). They have some sort of drug-free policy, so can't do anything like smoke weed at the hostel ... apart from that, great place to stay. Very cheap. Go for the 4-bed room if you can as there's obviously less people to annoy you. They sell earplugs for 1 by the way. I have no idea what the breakfast is like, even though we stayed there 5 days last time we were there, as we didn't get up in time. I did have it once on a previous visit and it was freshly made pancakes with butter n jam so expect stuff like that ... free innit what do you expect. Oh yeah, and they also have free WiFi which is ok.

Stephen Turnbull
2013-12-02
Age 30 | England

Great hostel in excellent location

I spent 4 nights here and I thought this was an excellent hostel. The location was great (quiet neighborhood but close to all the action), friendly staff, free wifi and decent free breakfast, bathrooms were clean and private, and they had very comfortable mattresses so I woke up feeling rested each morning (but you might want to bring earplugs or buy them there ... as with all hostels, there was some snoring and coughing going on). The cafe is a great place to hang out, have a snack and meet fellow travelers. I'm not religious so I appreciated that there was very little of that, though there is a Bible discussion group each night for anyone who wants to attend. As far as hostels go, this is a great one so five stars from me.

Alan
2013-08-20
Age 40 | USA

Warm

i was treated very warmly by all the people working at shelter jordaan. they have comfortable beds & rooms, i did not feel too crowded, & the bathrooms were well taken care of. i really enjoyed the piano they have too. i am glad they leave it open for anyone to play, i had a really cool jam session/improv with an amazing french guitarist. good people, good place.

maren
2012-11-03
u.s.a.

Safe, clean, and excellent value

I'm not Christian, but I picked this hostel because I knew that as a single woman I wanted somewhere safe where I wouldn't be sharing my room with people off their heads on drugs. Perfect choice. The staff are incredibly friendly and the bathroom was the cleanest I've ever seen in a hostel. Very peaceful at night. They gave me a flier about Jesus when I checked in but otherwise there was no pressure to convert or anything. After all I knew it was Christian when I booked, so no big deal. I liked the location even if it was a bit out of the way -- I wanted a good night's sleep, not to party all night or get annoyed by loud people. This place is really something else, in a good way. I'd very highly recommend it to women traveling on their own.

Jules
2009-05-03
UK

There were some pros and cons to this place. Overall, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful here. The free breakfast was good and tasty. My room was fairly quiet with no disturbances during the night. But the bathrooms smell like sh*t, showers were not very clean. You have to buy your sheets for 2 euros. I got bedbugs during my two night stay here from the sheets I had to pay for. So, my conclusion is this! If you are going to stay there, it is not a short walk from the central station. Take the tram there instead. It is kind of hard to find because you have to pass a bunch of canals and take the back roads to get there, although it was nice to see some local art places on the walk there. It's a good long walk from the Red Light District and pretty far from anywhere else you want to go except for the Anne Frank House. The people there were really friendly but kind of spacey at times. They all read Bibles when they are not working I thought it seemed clean, but after getting bedbugs I decided otherwise. This was only my second time traveling in Europe and was really pissed that I got them. My friends stayed in a hostel in the red light district that was above a bar and had a cleaner experience than I did -- food for thought.

Michelle
2006-10-08

Shelter Jordan Christian Hostel Reviews from the Web

Nice place!

sebatorex4122
2020-08-08

Such a great experience ! I could never ever find a better hostel to enjoy my time in Amsterdam. Not only the beds were totally comfortable, they have an amazing staff and a delicious breakfast ! Truly recommend their homemade dinner as well .

paulasmetzker5557
2020-07-25

Had a great stay, the staff was very friendly and helpful!

muschellara5701
2020-06-26

Liked: Good service, good location. Didn't like: Little bit dirty and small rooms.

2019-08-02

The staff was very friendly and helpful and their English was very good. I liked that is very international.

2018-05-23

Liked: Good room and nice staff Didn't like: Bedroom a little cramped

2017-06-28

Liked: friendly staff Didn't like: toilets under construction

2017-03-07

Liked: Realy nice Hostel, friendly stuff. Didn't like: Fix the stairs to the second bed.

2016-11-04

Liked: A resaltar la atencion del Staff son extremadamente amables, siempre con buena onda. La ubicacion no es centrica pero te queda a 10 min caminando, Didn't like: Reserve este hostel porque no conseguia en otro, empezando que es un Hostel cristiano, no se puede beber ni fumar, apenas ponen musica, es super tranquilo, no parece Amsterdam. Si viajas solo como yo no te conviene porque no tiene ambiente de hostel. Las habitaciones son un poco incomodas para tanta gente, y una noche encontre dos chinches en mi cama, que por suerte no me picaron.

2016-10-31

Friendly staff, good location, good amenities, and clean hostel

2016-09-14

Liked: Location Didn't like: The bathrooms are dirty. They don't care about the cleaness

2016-09-01

Liked: The location. Didn't like: The hostel is not cleaned well and the staff is horrible. I never have been in a hostel where the staff treated me so badly and tryed to embarass me like this one. If I knew it before I would never stayed here. All of them are volunteers and they are not interested in doing a good job and they dont accept complaints, even if they are wrong.

2016-08-15

Liked: Location Didn't like: In need of maintenance

2016-08-09

Staffs are friendly.

CHIH HUA
2016-05-29

My self and my colleague visited Amsterdam for 4 nights, the Shelter Jordan was the perfect place to stay. The staff who are volunteers were very nice and we enjoyed an evening meal with them ( free) and a discussion given by the staff. we also went for a guided tour provided by the hostel with two of their staff (volunteers) who were very knowledgeable about the city (thanks)

the atmosphere was very relaxing

Thanks to all the staff (volunteers) at the Hostel Jordan

christy
2016-05-02

Shelter Jordan is the ugliest place to ever stay for a whopping 37 euros.I was in Amsterdam between April 16 and 16.Hence, booked shelter Jordan 16 bed dormitory for one night accommodation. The place could not have been more filthier. There were beds on the walkpath where people were sleeping.Rooms were not cleaned properly.The locker did not work and you had to pay 4 euros extra.They charged 47 euros which was way way beyond the ambience they had to offer. I would not recommend taking sheleter Jordan at any cost

Balaji
2016-04-17

Perfect location and very clean. Staff very helpful and free breakfast was wonderful. Wifi worked perfectly. Close to museums (Ann Frank and others). We had a great time and will hopefully be back again next year.

test
2015-11-12

Awesome place, clean, very nice hot breakfast, good WiFi. I'm in love!

Andre
2015-11-12

Shelter Jordan is a youth hostel in the City Centre of Amsterdam, surrounded by picturesque streets, 17th century canals and lovely detailed buildings that remind you of Amsterdam's rich history. The Anne Frank House, Dam Square, the national monument and the museum district are all within walking distance.

Shelter Jordan is well known for it’s warm and friendly atmosphere; we want everyone to feel welcome and at home! That is why we decide to keep the common room open until 1 a.m, to give you plenty of time to make new friends, play fun games or update your scrapbook. You can also choose to hang out in the garden and sip your morning coffee in the sunshine.

What more can you expect?
● The Low Price Includes: Sheets, Lockers, Warm Showers and Breakfast.
● FREE: WiFi, Maps and a city walk
● 24/7 Reception with Tourist Information
● No hidden extras - all taxes are included
● Good security, free luggage storage, no curfew, no drugs and no alcohol.
● Choice of rooms with 4-18 beds and shared bathrooms. The larger dormitories have dividing walls between the beds.
● A fridge and microwave that you can use
● Dozens of different stories, especially since our volunteering staff comes from all over the world

This non-profit hostel will give you a good night’s sleep in a clean and friendly environment. The Shelter Jordan is a favourite Amsterdam hostel since 1971 with many guests coming back year after year. Come with your friends or make new ones!

• From Central Train Station: take tram 13 or 17. Get off at the 4th stop (Marnixstraat). Follow the canal on your right (Lijnbaansgracht). Turn right after 50 meters into Bloemstraat. We're at number 179.
• From Amsterdam Schiphol Airport: take bus 197 towards Amsterdam to the last stop (Marnixstraat bus station). We're a 5 minute walk from here - check Googlemaps though as it's hard to explain!

Address: Bloemstraat 179, Amsterdam-West, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands

Shelter Jordan Christian Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Shelter Jordan Christian Hostel Amsterdam www.shelterhostelamsterdam.com/amsterdam-hostel/
Phone Number: +31 (0)20 6244717

+50 Traveller

Digital Nomads

Family-Friendly Hostel

Quiet Rest

Safe Deposit Box

Bike Rental (12,5 euro/24 hr)

Dinner (6 euro-2 course)

Lockers in Lobby (1 euro per day)

Towels (1 euro)

Walking Tours

Genders: Males & Females

Note: All bedrooms & bathrooms single-sex. No smoking, alcohol or drugs

Maximum Stay: 1 month

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Shelter Jordan Christian Hostel