Legends Backpackers Lodge, Ezulwini

Mbabane
7.8

your hostels in Ezulwini

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Legends Backpackers Lodge rated on booking websites?

Legends Backpackers Lodge Reviews

Not worth it

There's definitely appeal to Legends, the space is inviting, the patronage is diverse, and the location is convenient. However it's worth noting that several times I have stayed at Legends and found myself being harassed and twice nearly assaulted by aggressive male patrons. Both times the staff were unable or unwilling to assist me. One incident a staffer attempted to intervene and a group of men threatened to beat her. I reported this matter to the owner, Darren and he defended these aggressive patrons. Elderly male patrons have attempted to illicit sex from me for money. It can be a pretty uncomfortable place to be a woman. Also one time someone stole R600 out of my wallet that was inside the dorms inside of my bag during a power outage. My small group of friends and I were the only ones staying there and the understanding of most staffers is that the crime problem is from the inside. Also, bedbugs often. And it's the most expensive place to stay in the area. And the bathrooms aren't close to the dorms. This place could be massively improved with different ownership and management.

Woman
2017-03-28
Age 26 | Traveller

Legends Backpackers Lodge is located in the Ezulwini Valley, within close distance to the adjacent Malkerns Valley. The hostel is in a secure area of town, within walking distance to the "landmark" Gables Shopping Centre. The hostel has numerous facilities on the grounds, including a pool, bar, and kitchen. The hostel grounds are very large, with numerous dorms and private rooms.

The hostel is located within walking distance to the Gables shopping centre, along the ride to Mantenga Falls and cultural village. Within Ezulwini Valley itself, taxis are familiar with the Mantenga Falls and Gables Shopping Centre, meaning that locating the hostel is very straightforward. When you reach the road, the streets are very well signed to indicate the turn-off. If you miss the road, the town itself is spotted with directions to the hostels. Seeing as most travelers come to Ezulwini Valley to explore the landscape and culture, Legends Backpackers Lodge is perfectly suited. For those driving, there is a designated parking area.

The dorms are very large with sufficient space for the number of people. Similarly, the private rooms are very spacious. For those staying in the dorms, the bathrooms are large and kept fairly clean. There is an outdoor shower block which is also kept very clean. The shower blocks are particularly large, meaning many people can shower at one time. For the private rooms, there is an outdoor toilet and shower block with every two rooms sharing one private bathroom. Note, this private bathroom is away from the rooms.

The hostels common spaces are large and inviting. There is an open bar and large kitchen, looking out over a deck with chairs and tables. All enjoy beautiful views of the surrounding garden. These areas are big enough for all the guests, meaning that the hostel has a very sociable environment. The hostel is also decorated in a very unique manner, further contributing to the joyful atmosphere. The communal kitchen is kept clean.

Summary

This is a very good hostel catering to those looking for a hostel experience, yet within the parameters of a rich cultural experience in Swaziland. The hostel is closely linked with the neighbouring Swazi Trails travel agency, meaning that tours and transport are easily organised.

@dhersz
2014-12-31
Pool Dorm Bathroom Private Room Dorm Bar/Common Area Kitchen Front entrance

Brilliant location with incredible staff

I spent a month at this hostel while I worked in Mbabane and looked forward to returning home at night to be met by the friendly and amazing staff. They were the most friendly and helpful staff I have met to date, and had no trouble meeting any of my requirements, offering me travel advice or teaching me bits of Siswati. They even offered to walk me to the shops at night so I wouldn't be alone! The dorm accommodation is standard but the incredibly helpful staff more than make up for it. I would definitely return to this hotel on my next Swaziland trip!

Antonette
2009-05-02
Australian

No value for money

We didn't enjoy our stay here at all. The place was rather dirty, the beds extremely uncomfortable, and the so-called private rooms a total joke. The staff were also quite unfriendly and reacted annoyed when asked for help or advice.

It didn't hold the promises made on this website. The pool table for example was broken. It's sad because the lodge actually has a great location. We wouldn't recommend a stay in this place -- it's a waste of money.

Luisa Hammer
2008-08-01
Germany

Atmosphere was incredible, accommodations could do with some updating.

The staff at the Legends more than made up for the tired accommodations. They were so friendly and welcoming, I can't wait for a return trip.

Rob
2008-07-27
Canada

Good

Very helpful wonderful staff! (Bazz Bus)

angela walton
2008-05-20
south african

This place is the best place on earth, trust me. I loved it, everything from the kloff jumping to the people. It's the only place in Africa where I can walk around at night without being a bit afraid. I loved it. See you again.

Darren and Jenna the Irish pair
2005-03-02

This is a great hostel if you're an outdoor kind of person. I was here this year and I had so much fun. Try it and you'll love it for sure.

Bigvee
2004-11-04

Address: Unnamed Road Mantenga, Mbabane, Ezulwini, Swaziland

Legends Backpackers Lodge is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Legends Backpackers Lodge Ezulwini www.legends.co.sz
Phone Number: +268 416 1870/ 416 2459 (guests)

Darts