Hostel Linda, Amsterdam

Amsterdam Oud-Zuid
5.4

your hostels in Amsterdam

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Hostel Linda rated on booking websites?

Hostel Linda Reviews

Don't stay here

I'm very disappointed with this hostel, its my second time here this year and I was pleased the first time, not the second time. I had my laptop stolen out of my locker and they didn't do nothing about it and it was expensive as well! Also its infested with mice, beware of that! I wouldn't recommend anyone staying here if you got any valuables on you, the lockers are useless and people can easily break into them.

razorfish
2013-04-03
Age 27 | England

It's got a bad press

Ok so this isn't the best hostel in Amsterdam, but it's not as bad as some say it is. We stayed there for four nights and it was perfectly fine. There are a lot of steep stairs to climb and the bathroom was pretty dirty (like a student house) but other than that it was fine. We didn't have to pay for linen. There were lockers. The staff (I only saw them twice) were friendly, helpful, and spoke good English. It's fairly close to the nightlife and museums. Breakfast was included, but we never got up in time. You have your own keys and there's no curfew. If you're looking for a relaxing, quiet weekend away, this is probably not the best place to stay. But if you're traveling or on a weekend away with mates then it's ideal. We met some really nice people and had a great time.

Johnson
2007-06-18
British

It was horrible. the day we arrived they told us to come some eight hours later because they were not checking people in until a certain time, and then when we came back they moved us to another hostel -- the second one being crappier then the first. so, yeah. very nice of them.

Joca
2007-05-21
Germany

I booked in as a group of eight staying for the weekend of Queens weekend 2007. The owners of the Hostel had obviously got greedy around this busy weekend and had crammed in a load of extra bunks into each dorm making it really cramped. On tp of this it made their room/bed numbering all to cock, so they weren't sure who was supposed to be sleeping where, and they were not even prepared to come up to the rooms to show us where we needed to go. This led to confusion all weekend, and even sometimes finding strangers in our beds when we returned there after an evening out. The rooms had no locks on the doors, there were lockers but these were small and we would have had to hire locks each. The single toilet and shower were in the same bathroom, which was along the corridor, so if someone was in the shower nobody could use the toilet and vice versa. the bathroom was in use by an estimated twenty people, and it stunk. It had not been cleaned at all for many weeks in my opinion. There was absolutely nothing in the room apart from a table and five double bunk beds. No wardrobe, no telly, no towels, no kettle, no curtains, no bedside locker -- nothing! The bed linen was clean. The stairs were an absolute nightmare (fifty-one really steep and winding) but this is not uncommon in Amsterdam, so can't really blame the owners/Management for this. its location is fine, not far from anywhere, yet quiet enough to be not too noisy at night. Overall, whilst I can't speak for the Hotel side of the building (the Hostel part is nextdoor) I would never recommend anyone stay here. Even given the fact it was probably the busiest weekend of the year in amsterdam, the standard of room, facilities, and customer care was appalling. Greedy B@stards!

Sean O'Sullivan
2007-05-01
Wales

It was only after my friends and I had booked our flights to Amsterdam that we realised it was Queens Day weekend and this hotel/hostel really was the very last option that we had unless we wanted to sleep on the streets. I can see now why they still had rooms available though. Although our room was quite clean there really was nothing on offer from this hostel. The stairs most definitely are the stairway from hell. we were on the very top floor and we counted eighty-one vertical stairs, which is really dangerous when coming home late at night if you are drunk or even just simply carrying your case up. I have stayed in dirtier hostels but at least they were cheap. for 50 a night this was definitely not worth it.

2007-05-01
Irish

I don't understand why everyone was so frustrated with this hostel. First of all, chill out -- it's Amsterdam. There were no problems even though I only booked a day in advance, the beds were clean, and the staff was friendly (they helped me carry my bag because i was on crutches). It was close to the Heineken brewery and five minutes from the center of town. Breakfast was good and I had no serious problems. The only downside is the stairway up -- it really is the stairway from hell so its not so safe if you are high or drunk. Other than that, it is a cheap alternative to the center town hostels.

Sam
2006-12-05

I have stayed in cheaper, nicer, and cleaner youth hostels. This was the worst possible experience imaginable. We won't list everything, because we would surely run out of space. The rooms were disgustingly dirty, the carpets were filthy with fag [cigarette] butts on our bedroom floor. The rooms don't have TV, phones or Internet connection. The staff are rude, deceitful and totally unhelpful. The room was up 38 vertical steps no lift, no porter! The bed linen and towels were dirty, ripped and had fag burns in. There was no air, the room was boiling hot and very noisy (you could hear the buzzer, voices, keys turning all day/night). There was no wardrobe, only a coat hook, and no towels except hand towels (until we asked at reception).

We complained, asked for a refund and we were told "no." We asked to speak to a manager and were told "no." Do not, under any circumstances (no matter how cheap your budget), stay here. There are some really reasonable, very clean and friendly youth hostels in central Mount Plein, which would be a much better bet!

2005-06-05

I stayed here with my house mate, who booked online and paid a deposit. We decided on this hotel as it stated it had private facilities. After lots of travelling, we arrived at the hotel needing a shower. Upon opening the door of our room, we smelt stale smoke and we saw the room had a hole in the roof. We searched for the private bathroom. It was not actually in the room. The shower was clean, but it was opposite the room, and the toilet was at the other end of the corridor. When we approached the staff about this, they said the shower and toilet were private and only for our use. Well, excuse me for being stupid, but I thought private facilities meant they were actually in your room. The staff were very unhelpful, and so a toilet down the corridor, a shower opposite your room, and a hole in the ceiling brings a new meaning to "en suite." The stairs are lethal, and the breakfast was poor. Don't stay here.

2004-05-25

Hostel Linda Reviews from the Web

good location, quiet area, loads of transport links.

talissa forrester
2012-08-10

Nothing special.

2012-05-02

nothing

Alan Moxon
2012-04-27

Hostel Linda is alright for a couple of nights stay. The beds were comfortable, but I heard that the room across the hall had mold in the ceilings. I booked last minute, so I feel I over paid for what I got. The doors are really squeeky, and you have to mountain climb up like 5 flights of steep stairs if the lift breaks...which it did. But I met really great people, and had a good time. Amsterdam will be worth it no matter where you stay.

Rachel
2012-04-23

Very helpful, clean and great price.

2012-02-27

Just an OK place, a little bit away from the city centre, but isn't really a problem. The real "hostel" room in the hotel doesn't includes breakfast. 10 beds to one bedroom can be a little problematic, but when I'd stayed there, the room wasn't full

Lucas
2011-11-29
Portugal

Clean

2011-11-21

The bed was not bad and the room was very warm (compared to outside it felt fantastic).

Richelle Chamberlain
2011-11-13

bathroom

2011-10-29

The staff was friendly, and the bed okay, but that there is meldew in the bathroom.

2011-10-22

I recently stayed at Hostel Linda City Centre for six nights, and it was a decent stay all in all. I've stayed at 1 other hostel previously, so that is the background I'm talking from.

I'll try to address some of the information and experiences given in other reviews.

Basic information:

The room I was staying in was 502, which is located one floor down from the reception, in the basement. It has 10 beds, one window to the street, its own bathroom and its own toilet. (two separate facilities) It also had 10 lockers - some of which were faulty -

and a functional television. The window worked, and it could be opened.

Food:

The breakfast costs 5 EUR. I never used that offer, so I have no idea about the quality of that. I'm vegan and there's a Maoz 50 meters away from the hostel, as well as an Albert Heijn and a Lidl (stores), so that was convenient.

Arrival / Price:

Upon arrival you pay 5% city tax on top of the price, which, apparently, is standard practice. I wish this information was more visible upfront. Aside from that you pay a 10 EUR deposit for a keycard for the door, which you will get back upon checkout.

Keycard:

This keycard stopped functioning twice during my stay, and I had to go to the counter to get if fixed. It took little time to do so, but it was still rather annoying.

Location:

If you just want to shop and visit coffee shops the location is not ideal for you, but in my case I liked being out of the centre and being equally close to the east and the west side of the city, as I went there more to explore the city in general, visit the social centers, alternative places and so on.

Shower:

Another annoyance is the shower, which has this rather odd pattern of suddenly getting very hot, and then getting very cold repeating every 3 minutes or so.

Social element:

There's no room for socialising, unlike a previous hostel I stayed at. You can only socialise in the room you sleep in, and that means that if people decide to do that when other people are trying to sleep, not everyone will be happy, or people are encouraged not to interact with one another and just mind their own business which, arguably, is a bit sad.

Staff: Some of the staff seemed rather careless about your existence, ie. not very welcoming and helpful, but if you don't need their help then I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Ventilation/Temperature:

For 10 people in one room, one small window is perhaps too little, with no other ventilation present. I can imagine that it would get rather hot during the summer, at full capacity. Even in my case, staying in October and the room being at 40% capacity the room got fairly hot.

Various:

Positive: No curfew. (does any hostels actually have that?) I didn't notice any bedbugs?

Negative: Some people have complained about the price. I paid around 25 EUR per night excluding the city tax, for a normal weekday. Weekends are twice that price. For me that seemed in the same ballpark as the other offers available, but if you pay considerably more for your stay here, maybe there's a better alternative.

Meta comments: Worthy of noting is that Hostels Club ratings are all set to 60 by default, and there seemingly is no list of what each category means exactly, and where to put what information. For instance, if there were certain practical things that I think the hostel should've taken care of, at which category does this affect the ratings?

I'm really not sure what the categories "Entertainment" and "Personality" really encompass?

Marcus
2011-10-06
Denmark

nice staff and near to supermarket and public transportation. 15 minutes to the cental station by bus.

2011-10-04

toilet and bathroom in the room of 10 beds

2011-10-01

was close to a good supermarket and a moaz.

max clark
2011-09-26

It was really clean

2011-09-22

location was good

Tracey Peters
2011-09-13

A very good hotel. Had everything we needed. a bit thin walls and quite some traffic in the hallways. Good and simple breakfast for 5 euros.

Signe
2011-08-23
Denmark

It's very clean and you can rest very well there.

2011-08-20

The location is the best thing about Hotel Linda. It's situated inbetween an Albert Hein Supermarket and a Lidl, which means any food you buy is cheap! The Hotel is on the outskirts of the tourist sites which means you can get lost in the real part of Amsterdam.

2011-07-30

Nothing in particular, location was quite convenient.

Georgia Lord
2011-07-13

Situated in the heart of Amsterdam you'll find Linda Hostel. Close to many city attractions in Amsterdam, we are the right hostel to sleep for all kinds of people. Hostel Linda is a combination of a 2-star hotel and a budget hostel with both nice, comfortable and clean rooms! Our luxury breakfast is a nice way to start your day of sightseeing.

Our reception staff is well trained in tourist information wherefore they can tell you exactly were, why and how to go anywhere inside and outside Amsterdam.

The nightlife is easy to reach with Rembrandt square on walking distance and with our 24 hour reception you are welcome to come back anytime you like. A good tip for you is to see the famous Heineken brewery  on walking distance. We offer dormitory room and also private room .

Most of the rooms have their own shower and toilet and some of the rooms even have colour television. Our free luggage storage makes it easy for you to explore Amsterdam on your last day as well.

Our facilities:
-   No curfew
-   Hot-soft drinks available
-   Accepted: Visacard,mastercard, maestro
-   Fax services

Book now and enjoy Amsterdam on it's best !!!

Cancellation Policy:Please note that any cancellations must be informed at least 72 hours before arrival, otherwise the first night will be charged onto your credit card for the amount of people on your booking. From now on, the cancellation can ONLY be made via e-mail so that there is a proof for both guest and hostel. We keep the beds/rooms available for 2 hours after aprox. arrival time! It is your responsibility to contact the hostel if you are going to be delayed! Guests  have to be at least 16 years old to be able to stay in our hostel

From Schiphol:
Get the train to Centraal Station or rai. Then take tram nr. 4 or 25 and stop Stadhouderskade.
Hotel Linda lies 50 metres from the stop.
From Centraal Station:
Take tram 4 and 25 to the hotel.

By car
From Utrecht:
Follow the A2 and the signs Amsterdam Centre. When you enter Amsterdam you turn right over the bridge. You are now on the Prisdent Kennedylaan S110. At the crossroad with the S100 you go left. After 200 metres you will find Hotel Linda on your left hand
From The Hague/Schiphol:
A4 - A10 direction Amersfoort. Leave the A10 at the Rai. At the crossroad with the S100

Address: Stadhouderskade 131, Amsterdam Oud-Zuid, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands

Hostel Linda is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld