Coolangatta YHA Hostel, Coolangatta

7.2

Coolangatta YHA Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

It is the only way to book Coolangatta YHA Hostel

How is Coolangatta YHA Hostel rated on booking websites?

Coolangatta YHA Hostel Reviews

I was injured here, they have ignored me.

The words I type here are the truth. About twenty-four days ago, a wall fan in my dorm room came crashing down on my head. My neck, back, and forearm were injured. It fell about seven or eight feet onto me when I plugged it in. I was refunded my one night fee, but I had to ask for it, plus they gave me an ice-pack. I tried to get them to compensate me, but Coolangatta YHA have utterly ignored all my emails, YHA head office for Queensland are also ignoring me. I am still in pain. I have had to pay for a doctor/Chiropractor to treat me. I have a stiff neck, and numbness in my arm. YHA Australia and this hostel do not care about me.

MATTHEW SIMPSON
2009-09-02
SCOTLAND

The Coolangatta Backpackers Youth Hostel is located right next to the Coolangatta airport and near the region's main highway. This makes it pretty accessible whether you're flying or catching a bus there from another airport. It can get a bit noisy at night, but nothing intolerable.

The hostel offers free shuttle buses into town and to the surf -- they go in about four times per day. They can pick you up from the airport if you call them when you arrive. There is a lot of information on public transport in the common room which makes it very easy to get around the Gold Coast.

There's a great variety in the ages of the people who stay at the hostel. It's one of the few hostels with no age limit and has a very friendly and down-to-earth atmosphere. People tend to stay within their own groups of friends and family but many will greet everyone they pass.

The pool is open until 9:30 p.m. every night and there is a TV, billiard table, ping pong table and piano for everyone's use at any time. There is internet access on a computer in the common room.

It gets quite warm at night, and there is no air conditioning in the rooms, just a fan. This is more than enough most of the time. The whole place is kept very clean and tidy. They ask that if you use the kitchen, you clean up after yourself. The bathrooms are also very clean.

Dunja Nedic
2006-03-12
Australia

I have been coming to this hostel now for over 5 years. It is the perfect place to stay if you want to surf. The free breakfast is awesome!! Every time I come back the hostel has been improved. The new owner rocks! Thoroughly recommended.

Wayne from Melbourne
2005-09-01

I stayed in the hostel in September of this year. It was the best experience that I have ever had. I loved it!! My mate Rawson and I went surfing everyday for the two weeks that we were here. We also loved the fact that we could go out and get hammered and come back at whatever time we wanted. The free breakfast was also one of the highlights of my trip because we were on a very tight budget. A++++ I loved it!!

2004-10-03

My rate would have been 3 stars because the hostel is not too bad for its low price. However, I was totally pissed off by the staff there.

This's my experience: I stayed in this YHA for 3 nights in late August. On my last day of my travel, I missed the plane to leave the Gold Coast. After paying to buy another flight to leave the next day, I only had A$5 with me (no credit card or ATM card). The price of an 8-share in this YHA is A$20 and I really couldn't afford it. I approached this YHA and offered to pay A$5 for just staying in the lounge. My purpose was simply to ensure that I would be safe for the whole night. I didn't need a bed or anything. The staff there rejected me. They were quite mean and said that they were not charity. I understand that they were all correct. But I was rather pissed off by these heartless people. Eventually, I went to the nearest police station and spent my night there. One point to add: the policemen in Gold Coast were super kind. They tried to seek emergency accommodations for me. Although they failed to get one, they let me stay in an empty room in the police station. They also offered to drive me to the airport the next day morning. After knowing the fact that I only had A$5, one policeman offered to give me A$20 for breakfast (of course I didn't take that).

All people I met in Gold Coast are nice and helpful, except the two staff in this YHA. What's the cost of allowing me to stay in the lounge? I didn't get it.

2004-08-28

Coolangatta YHA Hostel Reviews from the Web

Excellent place for budget fees....all ages there during my stay...TV room fine...kitchen and dining room fine...bed fine and apart from bit of snoring of others the room very good...good location near airport and buses to Gold Coast.....clients cheerful and friendly.....rooms warm....in all great stay I had there. ..would return any time.

barryjackson7376
2022-07-18

The place was clean and maintained. It was too noisy. Having a place with 5 others was not comfortable, as I was the last one to occupy the room, had hardly any space left for myself.

Reception service was very poor, we had to wait for a long time before someone came to attend.

The place looks run down, needs some ownership put in place.

satishalinee2755
2022-06-23

100% catered for my requirements. Light snacks Suimin noodles and crackers, salami & cheese from vending machine for a light dinner. Clean and comfortable single bed and room. Situated a short walk to airport terminal to catch 6am flight boarding at 5:35am.

asu1Ovx5OLooHdBT
2022-06-19

Had all the gear, pool table, table tennis, pool, good outside area, good cooking facilities and very close to the airport but everything was just dated.

2022-06-17

Great atmosphere!

lizdaley1895
2022-06-08

Vibes were really good. I'll stay again

aT9JmDungjz148DR
2022-05-29

Nearer to airport for easy access

jasmineloh251184
2022-05-29

New mattresses urgently and Fruit flies around the kitchen and dining room.

eloinobre9763
2022-04-20

I do not recommend it.

julitapiaruano1702
2022-03-19

While I was happy with the stay I was charged for an extra night. I have yet to receive a response from email and the hostel is unable to refund.

For this reason I have rated security and value for money at the lowest possible rating.

There is no contact number and it takes some searching to find an email.

Matter will be escalated to Queensland fair trading.

friarbird2632
2022-03-16

Was impossible to sleep. Extremelly hot, there were 2 gans in the bedroom, bu wasn't enough. My roommates were noisy and watching movies at 2 am without airpods. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.

anaflorenciagonzalez4244
2022-03-08

I stayed here for one night before flying out of OOL in a private room. The room was a great size, a bit of a longer walk to the bathrooms but not an issue for me. It was a quiet hostel but it did the job in terms of location to the airport

hollywoodman4638
2022-03-02

An overall average stay at YHA Coolangatta. Stayed in a double room, and I can really applaud how comfortable the bed was and the cleanliness of the linen. However, it stops there. Firstly, location is really good if your staying a night and going to the airport, but its so far from everything on the Gold Coast and doesnt have good access to public transport. The toilets were always dirty when I went in and the whole place is old and needs an upgrade. The microwave was out of order.

ryanderuyter87766
2022-01-16

Basically a homeless shelter. Don't stay here unless you have to.

martyv32387436
2021-06-07

Perfect last minute stop in.

thejodigray6415
2021-04-21

Whilst this hostel is super close to the airport and the staff member who checked me in was nice, the facilities are pretty tired. Also, I was awoken at 2.30pm by a drunk male guest abusing his female companion. When I went to ask if she was ok he swore at me and slammed the door. I would be a bit hesitant to stay again as I believe it is a bit of a COVID problem, without international travellers they are having to accept any one who books, which includes drunk vagrants.

hannahchereebellamy9859
2021-03-19

Great customer service. Comfortable, safe dorm room bed. Wear ear plugs if you're staying on the Gold Coast Hwy side of the building and you'll have a great sleep. Location is great. Relaxed, calm, good vibes.

zatkinsonpickering8457
2020-12-20

Not bad.

Was good to see them take some Covid safety measures.

Close to Bilinga Beach.

Dorm room doors shut pretty loud so you've got to be careful if coming and going to the bathroom etc in the night.

No options for ensuite rooms which is a shame.

Permanent staff were absolutely great. So, so friendly and good to have a chat with.

bee12
2020-10-23

Excellent service and Understanding of COVID-19 issues at hand whilst handling communication to a high degree of compassionate care.

whittemorematthew4705
2020-09-15

Liked: Nothing Didn't like: Dirty...and unfriendly people

2016-12-30

Coolangatta Yha is a place to stay if you want to relax, surf or do both. For the surfers its a place to hang out while you surf some of the best known breaks in the world including Snapper Rocks (Superbank), Kirra and Duranbah.

Our free town and surf shuttle leaves the hostel every day at 8am, 11am, 2pm and 5pm and does pickups on the return trip. We have Austar TV, swimming pool, pool table, dart board, table tennis, basketball ring, DVD player, games and a chess board for the "thinkers".
It is only 150 meters to the beautiful Gold Coast beaches. For the more adventurous try a surf lesson, tandem sky dive, scuba dive, deep sea fishing, pat and feed a kangaroo at Currumbin Sanctuary or relax on a beautiful hinterland tour.

Cooly Yha has something for everyone.
Everybody is welcome.

• Bus: 5 km to Tweed Heads terminal and Greyhound Coolangatta Bus Stop. Phone for courtesy pick up between 8 am and 9 pm. Coachtrans service direct to YHA from Brisbane.
• Plane: 0.5 km to airport.

Address: 230 Coolangatta Road, Coolangatta, Queensland, Australia

+50 Traveller

Digital Nomads

Family-Friendly Hostel

Quiet Rest

Bike Rental ($5 per hour)

Lockers in Lobby ($2 for 24 hours)

Wi-Fi in Lobby/Commons ($5 for 24hours)

Wi-Fi in Rooms ($5 for 24 hours)

Outdoor Seating

Swimming Pool

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 18

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Reception Hours: 7:30 AM - 9:30 PM (07:30-21:30)

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Coolangatta YHA Hostel

Hey Hostelz, did you stay at Coolangatta YHA Hostel Hostel? Leave your review here.