Youth Hostel Zurich

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Youth Hostel Zurich" at Mutschellenstrasse 114.)

Mutschellenstrasse 114, Zurich (Züerich), Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
www.youthhostel.ch/zuerich
+41 43 399 78 00
+41 43 399 78 01

How is Youth Hostel Zurich rated on other websites?

(1977 ratings)

Gadgets + Cash Stolen Straight out of In-room Locker
Don't stay at this hostel. My Macbook, iPad mini and cash got stolen straight out of my in-room locker. There was a man in the room when I last saw my laptop but the staff were not able to track him according to the door card-reading system. I found a stolen laptop with foreign names in instead of my own laptop (super sketchy) in my locker when I returned to my room later that day. I called the police and the cops who came on the spot did not even want to believe my story as the locker was not broken. The key suspect was sleeping in the same room as me. I decided to check out because I did not feel safe there anymore. The staff did not even have the decency to offer me a refund (after 8+ years of being a loyal Hostelling International HI member). They were extremely apathetic as if they were trying to cover something up or do some damage control. What happened to me was unreal and it took place in my bedroom.
Jade
Age 26, Canadian
2016-08-03

Not worth the price
The location was horrible as we had to pay every day to take the bus then a tram to get to the centre of town. The rooms were terribly small and the fitted sheet was a weird towel material that was itchy. There was bad lighting in the rooms and the charging points didn't fit international adaptors. There was only wifi in the lobby and it didn't even reach the entire ground floor. The common area that was provided had minimal seating that was uncomfortable and unfriendly. The seats were small chairs and there were few charging points for electronics. It wasn't a nice place to relax, which was needed as there was no wifi in the rooms. There was no kitchen facility except one toaster and one microwave. Lunch and dinner were offered for a fee of 20 CHF but it wasn't worth the money. Breakfast was included but was nothing special. The staff didn't take the time to introduce you to Zurich and personalise your stay. It was definitely not worth the 40 euros we paid a night.
Sarah
Age 21, Canada
2016-04-19

Very nice hostel
Well run, super clean, excellent staff, fantastic breakfast (this definitely makes up for the relatively "high" dorm fees), easy to get to, A super place to stay in Zurich for a few days, I highly recommend it.
Age 39, Kenya
2016-02-13

Nice hotel-like hostel
Big hostel. Reception and common area feels a little bit like a hotel. Very clean. About 15-20 minutes from the city center by tram. No internet in rooms and bad internet in front of the reception.
Marie
2015-07-12

Nice hostel -- bad Internet
Very nice contemporary hostel but it is the 21st century and no one likes the fact you can only access Internet from the middle section of the lobby -- it's time to invest in some routers and I think you can afford to put the Internet on ever floor when you charge $50 a night including the dumb $6 a night membership fee.
Michael
Age 22, United States
2013-03-30

Great hostel
Staff were very helpful and didn't mind speaking english (fluently). Breakfast was fantastic. It was expensive, but it was also the cheapest one I found and it really is value for money.
Rosie
2013-01-07

Good accommodations, nice staff
The staff here were nice and helpful. The rooms were clean and the food was good. It's a little pricy, but most places in Switzerland are ... overall a good experience and I would stay there again!
Katie
2012-08-05
HI - Zürich Hostel is an excellent hostel with top-of-the-line services, but it is extremely institutional. If you stay here then you have everything you need, but you also feel just like a number. The Location The hostel is quite a far way out of town -- about a ten-minute tram ride -- so do not stay here if you're planning on walking into town. However, we bought a three-day transportation pass that covers every mode of transport offered in Zurich for seventy-two hours -- tram, bus, boat, cable car (we're not joking!), and others. We would definitely recommend that. There is a cafe and a couple grocery stores on the same street, so you won't starve while you're there. Rooms and Bathrooms This hostel is huge -- four floors of rooms. You never have to wait for bathrooms and showers, as there are eight of each per floor. Breakfast is included with your stay and is amazing! You do have to wake up early though, as it ends at 9 a.m. Common Spaces Internet is available, but be prepared to shell out the big bucks -- ridiculous, but that's the price of most things in Switzerland. There is a very large dining room, a lounge with a TV, and a sitting area in the reception with chairs, couches, and books. Summary This is a social hostel, but not really a party hostel as Zurich isn't party city. If you want a place to stay with all the comforts of a hotel and you don't mind paying a high price for the privilege, then you'll love this place!
Christina Heggie