Rainforest Hostel, Forks

HOH Rainforest
4.7

your hostels in Forks

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

Rainforest Hostel Reviews

Not a hostel -- potentially dangerous situation

I stayed here with several girlfriends in spring of 2015. It's a long story but in short this is not a standard hostel. This is very poorly run air bnb by an older man who may or may not be unstable. I believe it's possible he is a hoarder due to the clutter and mold found in the property. There are spiderwebs in the bed bunks, and nothing feels clean. I am really not trying to exaggerate but it really felt like the intro of a horror movie -- we had no cell service out in the rainforest and were at the whim of this random guy that was not welcoming at all. I would highly recommend not staying here.

2018-05-18
Age 30 | United States

I've visited this hostel years ago. The facility should be shut down.

Scott
2015-12-01
Age 61

One of a kind, a true American tradition

The negative reviews probably written by people who should have gone to Hawaii instead of doing serious connecting with nature and themselves in this amazing region. This is a true North American tradition where you are hosted in a converted home. It's dirt cheap and you're expected to help a bit in the morning. You want sheets, pay a bit for sheets; happy in your sleeping bag, don't.

Jim is a treasure but you have to be into that. His knowledge of the region is unparalleled. He is a very well respected voice for Native Americans and knows many intimately -- you can meet chiefs in his house. He was responsible for setting a lot of the public transportation in the area, and is a very intelligent conversationalist. If you'r the kind of person who thinks everything is just commerce, Jim will host you of course, but probably not become your friend. But then what are you doing there anyway?

BTW, I do not understand the objection to discussing serious things: environment, politics, social justice and Indian rights. Jim is very informed, opinionated but respectful of other opinions. I listened to some wonderful discussions around that table.

I miss the place tremendously it was my base for several hikes and sitting in the evening discussing my encounters with Jim were just as important.

Abner
2015-09-10
Age 32 | Israel

Protecting his garden from elks

arrived there at night, slept in car and getting ready to leave & i hear ya want a shower. so i pay 2$ for a shower, then i'm getting ready to leave and he points out his back window at a herd of 20 elks as he says i can stay for free, he'll feed me smoked salmon. if i help him dig holes to put these huge fallen trees with the branches sawed off around the perimeter of the garden. he was a nice guy. a friend brought over tons of wild sage and piled it in the garage, that seemed good so that is where i slept. did some hikes in the rainforest, and hiked the shorelines with craggeys teaming with vegatative growth. house a bit unorganized, but nice stay.

Elk Security
2014-07-29

Great "Experience"

The owner Jim is a helpful, interested and interesting person, with an awesome garden. He even offered us an excellent and very fresh breakfast. We had not planned in advance to stay there, but after climbing Mount Olympus, a shower was welcome. Great backyard to play frisbee. It's a good, quiet place and really affordable. Of course the house and the rooms could be better cleaned, but the bathroom was neat and you can get clean sheets for 1$. Overall, great experience for a really cheap price.

remi
2014-07-05
Age 30 | Canada

A port in the rain

I stayed in July of 2005. After biking down from Port Washington and after visiting the Hoh Rain Forest I ran into the first bit of rain. I really needed a place to stay and this was a lucky coincidence. Cheap, a stop better than camping. I got my first real acquaintance with the Pacific Northwest from Jim. (I was coming from Chicago and was amazed at the difference in culture and weather!) I've stayed in many places both better and worse. By comparison, I'm glad I got a chance to stay here and was a little sorry I didn't stay another day.

Bob
2013-11-16
Age 73 | USA

Why is this place still operating?

Two years ago I sent my deposit for a several-night stay at the 'hostel.' Using the schedules posted on the website, I started the day-long journey from Seattle, via several buses. After two bus rides I found that the schedules on the website were way out of date, and I was stranded in a town far from the hostel. I called Jim, assuming he'd be apologetic & upset by the misinformation. Wrong! He was defensive & angry. I managed to get back home & gave up on my vacation. I just revisited the website -- and the same outdated schedules are still posted! I emailed Jim, who said yes, they are inaccurate, and I'd need to do my own research to figure out the transportation!! But no concern that he's posting inaccurate info on his website. I wish I knew how to remove the inaccurate information, so no one else will get stranded just because the 'hostel' owner is so indifferent to the needs of potential guests.

Ms. VJ
2013-08-08
Age 56 | USA

I was in a bad spot

and could only afford to stay through the weekend at this place with my kids. It was uncomfortable from the get-go. He's demanding how much you pay up front. And charges for sheets and forces towels on you whether you want em or not. All pillows and beds are moldy. The kitchen is disgusting. His fridge is full of oddities -- but I would not be surprised if human parts were in there, this dude is seriously disturbed. We had no trouble with him, but that was a lot of work on our part. You could just feel the wildness in his eyes, that he was on the edge of keeping his violence in check. He is so disturbing, the moment we could get out of there, we did. After all the chores were done. He insisted my 7 year old do his own chores. THAT was weird. Like, I couldn't do anything FOR him. If only I knew about this site. Go somewhere else! You think you could stand anything when you're in a bind financially, but hindsight; I would have paid the extra 20 bucks a night, skimped on food instead and went somewhere else. I left feeling like things were crawling on me.

Anonny
2013-04-23
Age 37 | USA

Share our country home where travelers come together from all backgrounds and nationalities while exploring the beauty of the Olympic Peninsula and the Olympic National Park.

Address: 169312 Highway 101, HOH Rainforest, Forks, Washington, USA

Rainforest Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Rainforest Hostel Forks www.rainforesthostel.com
Phone Number: +1 (360) 374-2270

Reception Hours: 5 til 9:30 pm

Size: Small (less than 30 beds)

Rate Rainforest Hostel