Flinders Backpackers, Melbourne

Central
7.9

Flinders Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Flinders Backpackers rated on booking websites?

Flinders Backpackers Reviews

Horrible ...

This is quite possibly the worst hostel I've stayed at in all of Australia. Unfortunately it is also one of the cheapest in Melbourne, so I found myself staying here for over a month while i found a job and sorted myself out. This hostel has the rudest staff I have ever encountered, with the exception of one guy behind the desk who is lovely. If you happen to get anyone else, consider yourself screwed -- with the manager being just as horrible as the rest of the staff. With any other hostel, there is respect and perhaps some decent leniency for long term tenants, but not here. After more than 5 weeks of staying here I was "reprimanded" (can you imagine ...) by the reception staff with a lecture on responsibility for being a half hour late after checkout time to extend my stay. Upon asking a staff member which areas would be best to start my job hunt (as I was looking to be in an area with nice trendy bars and clubs) I was basically told not to even bother, because "all the backpackers are searching for jobs at the moment, so it's unlikely you'll find anything" ... I got a job that very same day. On one particular occasion when I was extending my stay, the hostel was booked up and so I had to move rooms 3 times in one week to be able to stay. I was fine with this, and asked staff to please make the booking for me before the hostel completely filled. Turns out, my booking was made incorrectly and so when it came time to switch rooms, on the weekend of the white night festival, I had no where to sleep. Instead of extending their apologies, I was again given a very rude lecture on how I should always check their work, because they are not responsible if they make a mistake in their computer. No wifi provided, and when you do purchase it, it is barely useable. Bathrooms are dirty and seem to be barely cleaned (feminine hygiene bins always overflowing). Keycards need to be used 4 or 5 times before they actually get you into your room. No guests allowed anywhere in the hostel, even reception for a chat -- and are immediately kicked out (often by the staff screaming from their reception desk for the person to "get out" -- It is laughable. On another occasion (though I do admit this was more my fault), I worked until 8am and forgot that I needed to extend my stay the next day. I was woken up by a woman (possibly a cleaner, but she seems to be behind the desk at times as well) screaming at me to "Go pay right now or get out" ... this was the absolute last straw for me. This place may be fine for a one- or two-day stay, but if you are considering a week or longer, definitely choose somewhere else. It's worth the extra 2 or 3 dollars to not feel like you are staying in a prison.

Taylor
2015-03-07
Age 21 | Canada

Clean, bright, simple but nice

This is a very suitable place for travelers especially for young people. Everything is clean and nice only he breakfast can be upgraded a bit. If you dont really care about food, it is a great place to stay at. Great location and affordable price. Definitely going to visit again in the future!!!

Chi
2014-10-04
Age 22 | Taiwan

Good hostel.

Good cheap place to stay. Excellent location. Complimentary breakfast was handy. Good kitchen with toaster, microwaves, stovetops and walk in fridge. Broadband was available, but there is a library for free across the road. Staff were polite and friendly. Keycard access to each floor and the rooms, so no issues with security. There is a public bar on level one, but I could hardly hear it from the ninth floor. Only one elevator was working while I stayed, so it was amusingly slow at servicing a building with eleven floors. My only real complaint was that I had to change bunks twice before I got one without bedbugs. My dorm room had twelve bunks, so I moved to the side with the door and it was fine.

Peter
2013-05-19
Age 30 | New Zealand

So dirty in the room! Except clearing rubbish bin, no staff will clear the rubbish placed on the top of drawer or on the floor. If you love going party, drinking and smoking, you can find many common friends there.

Chan
2013-03-31
Age 30 | Taiwan

Worst Reception Staff Ever!!! (Nice kitchen, though.)

Seriously, you almost gotta check it out for yourself to believe it. The worst part by far, is the very recognizable guy with big frizzy hair who will ask you what do you fkn NEED when at reception when clearly you wanna check in, the same guy who's always playing very loud metal music until, well, all day (you can't even hear the television at the adjacent room, or even normal conversations in the kitchen)and it seems like yelling and being a complete as#^%le to everyone in the hostel is normal behavior to him, he'll probably scream at you for something nonsensical and then order you to clean up dishes that aren't yours, or maybe write very crude and offensive messages next to the lifts (purportedly to the people who don't wash their dishes). Most of the staff is also quite rude, unhelpful and often just completely non-responsive (drug junkies doesn't even begin to cover it). The 12 bed dorms during the warm season got very uncomfortable with everyone sleeping in their underwear, which I guess could be seen as a plus, but sadly there is no AC or fans in those big rooms, except a window that opens ever so slightly, so it gets incredibly stuffy and when it's a full house, fermented goon unwashed locker room is truly an understatement. On the plus side, the kitchen is quite nice with lots of dishes (although you have to give a 2dl deposit for cups and mugs) and they have a ping pong, pool (kinda) and a few board games. The people staying are mostly pretty chill and backpacker-y, though you do get a few people staying for well over a year or two, who like the staff will make it clear that they believe the main areas to be "their" space. It's not the best hostel, is what I'm saying.

John
2013-02-23
US

We love the location.

WeLOVEMelbourne
2012-07-24
Serbia

I'd rather give birth to a chair than stay here!

Christ, where to start. We arrived at the hostel and one out of the two lifts was broken. Got to reception and they said that the room wont be ready til 2 p.m., which is fine as most hostels do this anyway. We was told to come back at 2 p.m., but when we went back to check in. We found out that the reception closes from 2 to 3 p.m.! So we had to wait another hour to check in. When reception finally opened the lady behind it was so rude and unfriendly to everyone. When we got our key and we had to get the lift to the ninth floor, but as one of the lifts was broken we had to wait fifteen minutes for it to pick us up. Would have walked up the stairs if my bag wasn't heavy. Room was the size of a bloody shoe box with bunk beds that look like they're about to collapse. Crappy walls, crappy carpet! I went to go to the toilet and saw paper towels on the floor everywhere then, the thing that topped it off, was that some classy bastard had done a sh*t on the toilet seat! Used the shower, cold, and pissed out water everywhere except the shower head! I've paid to stay here for a week. I have been staying at Flinders now for about three hours and already all this has happened. I got another week in this dump. Christ knows whats gonna happen. Ive been round the world and stayed in a lot of hostels, this by far is the worst! Don't stay here!

Alex
2009-02-02
England

Fab - Regular Here!

Stayed here in 2006, 2007, 2008 and will be staying again this year in 2009! The place just keeps getting better. Never had a problem. Its cleaner than i was 3 years ago -- and it was clean then so there you go! Best location!

Kelly
2009-01-02
uk

Flinders Backpackers is located in the heart of Melbourne CBD, which makes it the perfect location for every traveller! Staying with us will have you living amongst Melbourne’s funky café and shopping district while only being a few minutes’ walk away from Flinders Station, South Bank and Federation Square.

Every guest gets a FREE breakfast with make your own PANCAKES every morning to start his or her day off right.

We have a HUGE common area for guest to enjoy with a movie room , pool table and a fully equipped kitchen with walk-in cool room.

We offer great value accommodation across seven floors with 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16 and 18 bed dormitory rooms, twin and doubles private rooms all with shared bathroom facilities.

Free Wifi

Our rooms: Every dorm room has individual security lockers, fan, secure card entry, linen, pillows and blankets provided. Towels are also available for hire.

Please take note before booking:

All guests must be 18 years or older. Sorry no children.

All guest must have a VALID DRIVERS LICENCE OR PASSPORT, a credit card and $20 cash security deposit at time of check in. If you do not have these your booking will be cancelled and you will not be checked in.

Booking cancellations must be make the day before arrival or the credit card used to make the booking will be charges a 'no show' fee of 1 night rate per person booked.

Flinders Backpackers is in the heart of the busy CBD. As such, guests may be disturbed by noise due to trams, traffic, and people on the busy streets surrounding the hostel. Friday and Saturday night’s guests may also be disturbed by noise from the bar in the basement level.

Address: 35 Elizabeth Street, corner of Flinders Lane, Central, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Flinders Backpackers is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Flinders Backpackers Melbourne www.flindersbackpackers.com.au

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 18

Min. Age with Parent (private room): 18

Note: All guests must be over the age of 18

Maximum Stay: 14 nights

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate Flinders Backpackers