The Old Countryhouse Backpackers, Christchurch

Phillipstown
9.1

The Old Countryhouse Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is The Old Countryhouse Backpackers rated on booking websites?

The Old Countryhouse Backpackers Reviews

Home

it was really good, staff is kind and good smile, and then give me peace of mind!

ENA KAWABATA
2015-05-28
Age 21 | JAPAN

Not worth the price

Despite being the most expensive hostel we stayed in, this was the one we liked the least. Liked -- Friendly atmosphere in the house we stayed in. Comfortable room. Disliked -- No hot water in our house, but management just treated me like a nuisance when I went to tell them. (this was a temporary problem that was fixed in the morning, but had to boil the kettle for washing up and use other houses for showering). Extractor fans broken in the kitchen, oven full of spilt burnt food. Cleaning of kitchen perfunctory (the cleaner came in in the morning and all she did was wash a couple of mugs and do a cursory wipe of the surfaces). Kitchen not very well equipped and knives blunt.

Kate
2015-03-01
Age 26 | UK

The Old Countryhouse is located in Christchurch, which is still recovering from a 2011 earthquake; it seems like many people skip visiting this area, however the city has done a lot of work so far and it's worth a stop.

Its location, outside the center of town, means a short bus ride from the bus exchange or a long walk. There's a bus stop just across the street and the bus drivers are generally super helpful when you're feeling a bit unsure. Even though it's outside the main part of the city, there's still some restaurants and takeaways nearby.

This place has real wooden bunk beds! They're very solid and comfortable, with warm blankets. Though the rooms aren't overly spacious, there are plenty of windows to open for some fresh air. There are no lockers in the rooms, however it feels quite safe here.

The bathrooms are not gender specific, and most have a toilet and a shower, so there might be a bit of a wait. Be prepared for the fact that the light is on a timer/motion activated and might turn off while you're in the shower! The showers themselves are nice with decent water pressure.

With a central courtyard, there's plenty of room for lying on the grass and relaxing when the weather's good. There's an emphasis on greenery, with a lovely garden and beautiful plants here. Behind the buildings and out of the way, there are clotheslines to hang your laundry relatively out of sight. You can also find a TV room and lounge if you look for it.

The hostel is split into different buildings, each with its own kitchen. This means there's not a lot of people for each kitchen and plenty of space for everyone. The wooden tables are big enough for several people to eat at as well. Although there's free Wi-Fi, it doesn't seem to actually work anywhere and there's always frustrated people about, trying to get it to work.

Summary

This hostel is quite clean and comfortable, though slightly on the expensive side. It's got a homey feel and is a good place to spend a night or two.

Jenny
2014-05-16
Bathroom Hot tub Kitchen Area Bedroom with wooden bunks Center courtyard Hallway

The best hostel i have ever stayed at.

This is the best hostel i have ever stayed at, i have been here several times and the place is always beautifully presented and spotlessly clean, they have new staff working here this time and i will be coming back. Keep up the good work.

Frank
2013-08-05
Age 36 | uk

Horrible

I slept there two separate nights and both nights were the worst nights ever!! First night I arrived in the midnight, when I entered the room, I couldn't stand the smell; it was GROSS and then I started coughing because of the smell and tried to close my nose or cover it because of it. Second night I arrived during the day ... The staff was not helpful there. The guys who live there are not visitors; they live there for few months because of their jobs and they were flirty and stuff. Now when I checked in for a room, I asked if it was all girls, the receptionist said no, so I told hr I want all girls, she said ok ... Give me your key and ill change it for you. I believed her. In the night I went to sleep and all of the sudden a guy came in I told him this is all girls! He said I have been here for couple of nights now. After that the guys who live in the hostel started partying and they didn't have a space so all the CRAZY crowd was behind my door. They started getting drunk and the crowd started getting louder and louder. Around 4 am the rest of the people in my room arrived and a guy and a girl shared one bed and they were just in their little tiny underwear. So that was my horrible story in that hostel ... I would never go there again and I don't recommend it at all! One more thing they have a habit that the doors never get locked ... Guys are drunk in the weekend and no staff after 8!!

Backpacker
2013-08-04
Age 31 | USA

Definitely recommend!

Here in Christchurch for a week for work and wanted to save a bit of money so I booked into The Old Countryhouse hostel. I rarely stay in hostels even though I have stayed in several years ago, but this is by far the cleanest, most professional one yet. Everything is tidy -- the kitchens are well kept, the showers are spotless, it's quiet at night, and its tucked-in location away from the road makes it relaxing during down time. When I come back to Christchurch for outdoor adventure, I'll definitely be booking here again!

Johnathan
2013-04-23
Age 28 | USA

Poor customer service

Poor customer service, unreasonable when I tried to cancel one night with more than 48 hours notice. Ended up paying for an extra night that I never used and stayed in a different hostel for my third (final) night.

Ben
2013-01-01
New Zealand

Loved this place

I had a fantastic week here. The staff were very helpful. I was so unsure on what to do in the city and wasn't even sure how many days I would stay in christchurch. I just walked in hoping to book the room for a night and in the end I stayed a week, and thanks to the hostel had plenty to do. The hostel went above and beyond. It was so clean and all the staff including the owners have traveled pretty much everywhere, so they are great at advising when and where. This place is brilliant for anyone. Great atmosphere beautiful courtyard area's with herb garden, fresh bed in the morning and hand made furnature. The beds are so comfy I wanted to take them with me. Thank you Old country house will be back next time i'm in CHCH.

N D Booth
2011-05-30
England, UK

The Old Countryhouse Backpackers Reviews from the Web

Gerti was super kind and helpful. Clean and peaceful hostel (I was there in winter), which was exactly what I was looking for!

abdielgarcia19191911
2022-07-19

My second stay here and both times have been really well taken care of. Even with the current challenges affecting tourism and staffing, the owners were able to organise us an airport picking for after mid night after we experienced some flight delays. All very appreciated- Id happily make this my go-to hostel when staying in Christchurch.

timothycharlesboyle1109
2022-07-16

Had a nice stay, it was a bit quiet and cold. Staff was very friendly and helpful, everything looked clean and bed was very nice.

chantal_boes5983
2022-05-24

Great hostel with plenty of room indoors and in the gardens.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the hostel but also the other guests.

The owners were really peasant and helpful.

Close to the town centre which is a bonus.

I definitely recommend this place and will be back to stay again!

steve_ducati7
2022-05-12

Great place to stay! I never managed to meet the owners but they were super friendly and helpful on the phone and the place was tidy and clean and quiet. Close to the river and a nice walk along into town about 20 min. Would definitely love to go back!

rm22386
2021-11-27

Amazing hostel, super clean and cosy with great facilities. Lovely staff. Definitely stay here if youre heading to Christchurch! I would 100% stay again.

caseyfindlay14
2021-07-23

Beautiful hostel in a great location. Large kitchen but strangely no oven. Only a couple of toilets which were a long walk from our bedroom. Friendly staff.

meishaj10
2021-07-07

I had a great stay, thank you. Would highly recommend it to others. Super friendly staff, warm rooms and just overall really homely environment. Loved it!

miriamgottschalk8587
2021-06-03

BEST accomodation Ive ever stayed at in NZ. Such friendly helpful staff, SUPER clean and heaps of facilities. The guy at the desk even helped me fix my car! Cannot rate them highly enough!

Thanks guys!

peteraspell2300
2021-05-31

Stayed here on numerous occasions. Excellent friendly staff. Warm spacious comfy rooms and communal areas. Highly recommend.

jackhunt7237
2021-04-20

The sauna is out of service but, of course, you don't know until you already paid and are in the hostel trying to use it. They should let people know beforehand. Also, there's nobody in reception or maybe just a few hours in the morning with the excuse of covid which is ridiculous in New Zealand where there is no covid and all the country (except this hostel) is working normally. Except those two, in my opinion, major issues, the rest of the hostel is ok, average.

2021-04-02

There are plenty of free car parks nearby the hostel. The staff are very nice and helpful, highly recommend the scavenger hunt location lists if you have never been to CHCH, or have never visited CHCH after the rebuild. The hostel is nice and clean, but it will be perfect if our bed sheet doesnt have some old marks on it. The house we stayed has no oven, so its not a good idea to buy frozen food that has to be cooked by an oven from the supermarket. The fish & chips close by has good burger.

jasmine9383
2021-02-04

Very nice, clean and spacious. Little bit dated but ideal for a good nights sleep

craignjardine3462
2020-12-26

Super hostel with amazing outdoor space! Kitchen well equipped with everything you need. Bathrooms are very clean as well!! Chill lounge with TV and confortable sofas! And rooms are nice with fresh linen! Great atmosphere, I really recommend it!

camillethiell9167
2020-11-08

Overall was a really cozy place. Lots of outdoor seating for sunny days and each part of the hostel has a common area. It's a little out of the way, about a 20 minute walk into downtown Christchurch, but there's a dairy right across the street and plenty of free street parking and right across the street from a bus station. Good security - needed keycard to get into hostel, into each part of the hostel, and into each room. No lockers though. Very clean hostel.

madycsmith3799
2020-09-24

Its always a daunting to find a place to stay in a big city like CHCH but after the recommendation from a couple of mates who stayed there previously I booked a couple nights while heading up the coast.

Very quiet post COVID which I was happy about.

Few very friendly longterm people.

Beautiful, spacious property for being that close to the city center.

Super clean facilities and some of the best bathroom/showers Ive used in NZ.

Lovely welcoming staff.

Would highly recommend.

GeorgeBlack23
2020-09-12

nice dorms, nice people, value for money, nice and clean facilities

2015-12-01

Nice staff

2015-02-14

Liked: It has a really great atmosphere and all details are just lovely. Didn't like: Nothing!

2015-01-04

Spa, people

2014-12-12

A city base for those who value quality and comfort in a toasty warm hostel during the winter. Enjoy warm comfortable surroundings in our lovingly restored traditional New Zealand Villa with polished wooden floors and hand-made native timber furniture or sit back, relax and enjoy the tranquility of our large landscaped garden. Ideally located only 1500 metres from the city center with plenty of FREE parking - shops, restaurants, post office, ATM, bus stops to the city and beaches are adjacent to the hostel.

Imagine a hostel within 15 - 20 minutes walking distance (5mins by bus) to the city centre - a hostel where you can escape the hustle and bustle from the moment you enter the property through the garden gate...

Take a walk along the garden path to a charming villa with polished wooden floors and hand-made native timber furniture. Both our villas have been completely restored and are equipped to please the travellers needs.

OFFICE HOURS & CHECK-IN TIMES: 8am to 8pm
Due to the small and intimate size of our hostel we can ONLY ACCEPT BOOKINGS for guests checking in during office hours between 8am and 8pm.

CANCELLATION POLICY: All cancellations must be received 48 hours prior to the day of arrival by email. However, if you need to cancel your booking within the 48 hours please call us and we will try to resell your room and if successfull we will not charge you.

The Accommodation:
Central heating to keep warm during those cold winter months, Doubles & Twins (with and without private bathrooms) & spacious Dorms - all with firm beds for a good nights sleep. Triple rooms have one double and one single bed. All private rooms have fully made up beds.

The Facilities:
Well equipped kitchens and pick your own fresh herbs from our organic herb garden to enhance your meal, TV lounge and a separate reading lounge to chill out & other home comforts such as laundry, guest telephone & Internet, off street parking...

The Garden:
Our spacious garden landscaped with lots of native plants, fern trees and palm trees is a wonderful space to relax. Plenty of outdoor seating invites you to sit back, rejuvenate, contemplate your travel memories and itineries or enjoy a good conversation with friends and travel mates.

The Location:
Best of both worlds: close enough to the city sights whilst supermarket, fruit & vege shop, post office, take aways, banks, restaurants etc. are conveniently located just accross the road. Buses to local beaches and city leave from our doorstep.

The Staff:
Just friendly people and keen travellers themselves are waiting to help you and to share all their local knowledge with you to make your stay here most enjoyable.

Children Policy:
Regretully we can only accept children age 14 and older.

• DIRECTIONS:
• From the airport:
• Shuttle direct to our doorstep: $16 for one passenger, $20 for two passengers
• Taxi direct to our doorstep: Approximately $40
• Public Bus to city centre: $5 to the Bus Exchange, then either 20 minutes walk or take bus no. 21 and get off at Stanmore Road for $2.50
• From the train station:
• Shuttle direct to our doorstep: $6 per passenger
• Taxi direct to our doorstep: Approximately $25
• Public Bus: there is no public transport to and from the train station!
• Walk from the city centre:
• Walk east along Gloucester Street for approx. 15 - 20 minutes. We are at the corner of Stanmore Road and Gloucester Street
• IMPORTANT:
• 1. Full payment of the balance is due IN CASH on arrival.
• 2. Please remember that you MUST ARRIVE BEFORE 8PM as our reception will be closed after 8pm.
• 3. Please note our CANCELLATION POLICY: All cancellations or changes to your booking must be received 48 hours prior to the day of arrival by email. However, if you need to cancel your booking within the 48 hours please phone us and we will try to resell your room and if successfull we will not charge you.

Address: 437 Gloucester Street, Phillipstown, Christchurch, New Zealand

Digital Nomads

Family-Friendly Hostel

Quiet Rest

Safe Deposit Box

Airport Pickup (from $29)

Bike Rental ($39 per day)

City Tours (various tours)

ATM

Hot tub/Jacuzzi

Outdoor Seating

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Note: Late Check-Ins can be arranged for bookings into private rooms only

Maximum Stay: 7 nights