East Bundy Backpackers, Bundaberg

7.4

your hostels in Bundaberg

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

East Bundy Backpackers Reviews

Like a home away from home

I ended up staying at EBB for half a year. A long time, I know. The main reason why was because of the lovely ladies who run the business. They are super helpful, and all they ask in return is that you act like a normal, responsible human being. All the rules are in place to make sure that 100 people, who are all tired from heavy work, get to relax when they're off. I also made a lot of friends while doing this. Good stuff

M
2019-07-20

The Hostel owner is a bully. I'd advise not going here. Heard about horror stories before going to do the farm work and this place (because of the owner) is one of them. People you meet doing your farm work are amazing and this place has so much potential but Christine is very unprofessional and very power/money hungry and will do anything to get money from you including watching the cctv back and fining you and holding your wages & passport ransom until you pay a made up fine. She's also very rude and will shout at you and swear at you down the phone for petty reasons. It's also super expensive for what you (dont) get. $203 a week with no aircon in ridiculous heat (but christine has aircon if her office), and no wifi. If you want to use wifi you have to walk across to a garage to use their wifi. Also when you leave, dont expect to get your key deposit back ($100) I know quite a few people who have left and haven't seen this back. Please dont go here I've had friends who have enjoyed their farm work in great hostels -- it doesn't have to be like this.

anonymous
2017-03-14

Great hostel that tries really hard (and succeeds) finding you work

In a farming city where backpackers infamously end up as cash starts to run low, and often get ripped off by working hostels, East Bundy Backpackers easily stands out as the only hostel that actually cares about you. Much of its smooth running is due to Christine, the fantastic and fervent busybody manager who goes to great lengths to find you work, even during slow periods. I personally had some bad luck with having consistent work for 6 weeks, but I could always pay my rent and ended up with plus dollars in my pocket. If you promise a 3 month stay you can get a many-hour job and earn a LOT of money. There is a waiting list, but it's good because you don't end up paying rent while granted no work. The hostel itself is very clean comparatively, has awesome tenants, a pool, and a big, well-equipped kitchen. There are no bed bug horror stories here, because laundry is done frequently. There are minor drawbacks -- no WiFi (but good tree WiFi is 100m away), no AC (but it rarely gets too hot) and (mostly) no alcohol (but you should be working anyway!) The rent is reasonable and the deposit small. There's also a free grocery bus, and all work has free transport. If you wanna work in Bundaberg, go to EBB. If you're still not convinced this is the best place -- just follow Christine's advice -- ask the tenants!

Jonah
2015-03-13
Age 23 | Sweden

Great Place

Stayed here for 3 months and was a great hostel. Christine (the owner) is extremely nice and tries hard to find everyone work and arranges all transportation to and from work. The town of Bundaberg is very boring in all but staying in this hostel made it possible for us too stay there so long. The rooms and beds are all good, your guaranteed to meet a lot of great people as well. highly recommend staying here if your going to work in Bundaberg.

Canada
2013-03-28
Age 19 | Canada

It's alright I guess

This place was average on all accounts, Christine the owner tries way too much to be like the backpackers and get in with them and their lives, which just becomes really irritating, the rooms are ok but not that clean, and the showers don't even have doors, just a curtain. The facilities were again average as there was normally always a queue. They do get you to and from the work farms which was great, however, the farms are like an hour away and also, we were always the last ones to get picked up from the farms, we had to wait an extra 45 mins to 1hr just for the bus driver to come and get us. The staff are friendly enough I guess but they could definitely do better. Overall this place is alright, but I wouldn't come back here again, people who say this was the highlight of their trip must have had a pretty bad trip. There are definitely better places about.

2013-01-21
England

By Far the Best Place in Bundaberg

Firstly, note that all the reviews that are less than five stars are from more than a year ago. It's been under new management since then and it's simply fantastic. I've moved around between a different hostels in town before I settled here and its by far the only one where the management actually seems to care about the backpackers and want them to have a good experience.

Kris
2012-12-30

The best 3 month in my Australian trip

What can I say, I only thought that I would stay not more than a month in the first place ... and in the end I stayed 3 months and would have gladly stayed more until all of my required visa days were done but I had to leave before unfortunately for me! This place feels really like home, Christine making this possible with a tremendous energy, lots of love and commitment to make this place a safe and sound place to stay in. Not to mention all the amazing people I met during this period... Had the most amazing times there, parties and nights at the central club. Work is steady and one could work 7 days a week if he wanted to and could handle the pace. In a nutshell, the best working hostel in Bundaberg since Christine took over management for a year now.

Paddy rich backpacker
2012-12-26
France

Best Hostel

It is a so nice hostel. Christine knows the name of everybody and is like a Mom for everyone. Go here if you want to go to Bundaberg. My best decision.

Sarah
2012-12-06
Germany

We are a working hostel that is open 12 months of the year. Owned and run by a family.
You will need a working holiday visa, tax file number and an australian bank account to work on farms in the Bundaberg region.
We provide complementary transport to and from work. We also run a shuttle bus 2 times a week to the supermarket .
We have a swimming pool to relax in after a hard days work and a free dvd library to relax in front of the TV.
There is on street parking if you have your own car.

Address: 20 Princess Street, Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia

Outdoor Seating

Swimming Pool

Genders: Males & Females

Reception Hours: 1pm to 7pm

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate East Bundy Backpackers