HI - Syracuse - Downing International Hostel

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "HI - Syracuse - Downing International Hostel" at 535 Oak Street.)

535 Oak Street, Syracuse, New York, USA
43.060450, -76.136136 (accuracy not guaranteed)
+1 (315) 472-5788

How is HI - Syracuse - Downing International Hostel rated on other websites?

The manager is efficient and friendly!
I enjoyed my stay in Syracuse. PLEASE, don't close this amazing hostel!
Carmon
Age 36, USA
2013-08-28

Best value in Town
This is a great hostel in a great city. My stay last year was wonderful and I know I will have a great ten days. See you there. Check out the website. The pictures are great.
Debbie
Age 59, Usa
2013-08-19

Very positive
Good facility and well run. Just wish HI would correct the problem with the dampness in the basement.
james
Age 45, usa
2013-07-24

Fantastically accommodating and lots of character!
The owners were superbly friendly and -- even though my fiance and I arrived well after check-in hours, due to a storm -- they were nice enough to let us in and get us settled in our private room, for just $53. Said room was colorful, comfortable, and the associated bathroom was functional and reasonably clean. The house itself is filled with warm carpeting, dark wood, and even some stained glass windows, and is located just a walk away from most conveniences -- and just about 3 miles on the nose from Harrison's Bakery, for those interested in supporting another (tasty) local business following the 9am deadline to be out of the building.
Don
(United States)
2013-05-27

Aside from a few friends I was visiting, this was the only place I felt comfortable to be in Syracuse.
Zach
Age 23, USA
2013-05-18

The perfect place to stay
cheap, comfortable, friendly helpful staff, in a perfect location near bus stop and a shopping plaza. I loved everyday of my stay there.
diana
2012-11-01

Gorgeous Features, Great Hosts, Felt at Home
I felt really at home here. The hostel has new owners and they are trying to reinvent the place and accommodate travelers, whilst keeping all the old features. They were so friendly, I adored them. It IS an big old place; it looks gorgeous and has a beautiful staircase. The place has a nice feel to it. It has a huge basement kitchen will is well stocked for the budding chef. This hostel can only get better and better now. There are two television rooms and great WIFI, which I had no trouble connecting to. Syracuse itself is ok -- not a huge tourist place at all, but a great half way house onto NY/Boston.
Kelly Drewett
(UK)
2012-10-30

A Diamond in the Rough, Unique Building
We finally got to stay here after literally decades of me seeing it in the HI USA book every year. A 4 bunk bed room for the 4 of us, including 2 kids ages 8 and 10, was $44. The mansion that the hostel is in was built in 1895 and still has many of the original features, including the magnificent foyer and staircase. The place is dusty because renovations are going on. Dorms and private rooms are on the second floor. The basement has a common area, TV, fridge and so on. It has the feel of a college dorm in the basement, an elegant home in pre-World War I America on the first floor. Stained glass, old handrails; I swear some old Hollywood movie was filmed here. The kitchen on the first floor is barren due to the renovations; the kitchen in the basement is fine but not spotless. I liked the guy who ran the place. He was very welcoming and not too much of a busybody like some hostel wardens are. With the possible exception of a hostel in Philadelphia there is nothing in North America like this, not even in Canada, which has many interesting old buildings turned into hostels.
Chicagobest