8.9

Hostel Oasis Granada is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Hostel Oasis Granada rated on booking websites?

Hostel Oasis Granada Reviews

Granada is a famous backpackers destination as it has many activities and things to see around, and Hostel Oasis Granada is one of the most famous hostels there and is well known by locals and taxi drivers.

Perfectly located near the city center, a little more than five minutes' walking from the main square, it is a safe neighborhood in the city and it seems to be fine to walk around at nighttime. The bus station to Ometepe (usually the place where people go after Granada) is four blocks away, while the bus for Managua is only two blocks away.

Hostel Oasis has many options available, including private, double, and triple rooms and dorms. Dorms are big with bunk beds and around ten or twelve beds. Each bed has a plug for electricity and its own locker (you need to have a padlock). Air conditioning is not available, but each bed has a fan, so you can enjoy the night. Bathrooms are available for each dorm, plus there are several common bathrooms around the area. Everything in the hostel is well maintained and cleanliness is taken very seriously by the staff.

The main gate is always locked for security reasons but the reception is open at all times. There is a large area with trees, couches, and hammocks where guests can interact and have a chilled-out time. Plus there is a swimming pool and a bar with other couches, which is more the party area. The bar offers free rum everyday for guests, from 5 to 6 p.m. It is a great way to meet many people and the vibe turns more onto the party side. There is also a pool table and a table tennis one, which help customers to mingle and to have fun. There is also a small rooftop at the third floor and another smoking area at the second floor. Free breakfast is offered every morning and there are all-you-can-eat pancakes with coffee and bananas. Free water is also available for guests.

The reception works as a travel agency as well and offers many tours around the area, with a great option of having a free shuttle to Laguna de Apoyo at another hostel, which belongs to the same owner. In addition, a kitchen is available for guests; it is large and many people can cook together. It also has a room with tables and chairs to enjoy the meal, and a huge TV where you can watch movies.

Summary

In conclusion, this hostel has everything a traveler needs. Free breakfast and free rum in the afternoon, a pool and a rooftop, and a table tennis and a pool table. At 11 p.m., the bar closes and the party moves to upstairs to the rooftop, so customers who want to have a quiet time can sleep.
#
Manu
Published on 2019-05-18

Hostel Oasis is a clean, social accommodation but is by no means a rowdy party.

The location of Hostel Oasis is above average -- it's centrally located and withing walking distance to the downtown core, major attractions, and amenities. However, it's located in a somewhat dodgy area down a small side street -- you should probably take a taxi after dark. As this is a major hostel, the taxi driver will know the location; getting home after a night out is no worry.

The dorm rooms are spacious, large, and cool. They all come with attached bathroom and showers, making a midnight bathroom run easy. There are also communal showers and bathrooms so you never have to wait in line. The rooms and bathrooms are all clean and tidy. The beds are very comfortable and each bed has a locker. The rooms are very large and have multiple fans, making sleeping comfortable.

Oasis is well named, due to its pool, which is lovely for a dip after a long day exploring the rather hot city. The garden is lined with many hammocks, creating a great place to read a book or catch an afternoon nap. The pool and hammocks area is a great place to cool off, unwind, and meet fellow travelers. Oasis offers speedy Wi-Fi as well as many computers to use. There is a well-equipped kitchen area that contains amenities such as fridge and freezer, stove, and microwave. The hostel has free coffee and tea twenty-four hours a day and does serve a few breakfast options in the morning for a reasonable price. The hostel enforces a strict 11 p.m. quiet time and shuts off the lights. This can make doing things in the night difficult without an external light source but makes a good night sleep a breeze.

Summary

The hostel staff speak both English and Spanish, but are not the most friendly or knowledgeable. Our friends booked a shuttle for a certain price one day, and the next day we decided to join them and got charged a higher price. They accept online reservations for private rooms, but not for dormitories.

Fro
2013-03-07

Fine hostel, heinous staff

My friends and I had a horrible experience here. On the final night, we had to leave at 3 a.m. to catch a bus. As it was so early, we stayed out until 2:30. When we returned, I stopped at the reception desk while my friends went to pack. I asked the security guard if I could use the phone or if anyone else was working; before he could answer, a boy named Matt came up and confronted me. We'd seen him over the few days we stayed at the hostel -- he was never wearing a uniform and we assumed he was just traveling. I asked him if there was reception at that time and he refused to answer my question -- merely aggressively asking me what the hell I was doing there. Frustrated, I went up to my room to get my backpack. Next thing we know, the one Nicaraguan security guard walked up to our room and demanded that "she come with him now," referring to me. Now pretty upset, I requested I at least get my backpack since we were leaving anyway. Back at reception, we checked out. Matt continued to be aggressive, claiming that he'd immediately answered my initial question about reception and that he'd followed that by asking how he could help me. and when I was rude and "broke through security" that he'd assumed that I was a tramp off the street and sent security after me. When I told my friends that this was incorrect, he started using vulgar language toward me. The security guard was more than happy, despite the fact that I'd "walked in off the street," to charge me for my stay. Due to the staff, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. They couldn't answer any of our questions -- for example, how to make a booking with TicaBus, or where a restaurant was located. The staff speaks only Spanish, and has difficulty communicating with anyone with anything but perfect pronunciation, in addition to not seeming to know anything about the surrounding area.

Zoe
2008-08-04
Canada

Awesome

How chilled and interesting is this place? I met so many characters here. It is true that the hostel can seem a little quiet because there is not a party atmosphere like some other hostels in Mexico but there are plenty of cool, well-traveled people and loads of friends to plan adventures with. The surroundings are stunning, nice frescos, shady palm trees, hammocks everywhere. All this is contained within a large colonial house with a charm and feel that I took to immediately. The hostel is cleaned by a nice old Nicaraguan woman. I tried to chat to her in Spanish but she didn't understand me much, mostly she answered with toothy smiles. She seems to be mopping the floors all the time. I stayed in a dorm and the sheets were clean and folded. I highly recommend that you stay here or you will never know what you are missing out on. Worth the extra money just for the great international guests that I met here and got to be mates with. There is also a pool but it's more for cooling down in and having a splash about, you can't do any serious laps -- it's just too small. I did manage to do four lengths completely underwater though.

Big Bad Bob
2008-03-10
Australian

Hostel Oasis is located 2 blocks from the central square in Granada, down a street that can look a little lonely at night. From the south side of the parque central, take Calle Real Xalteva heading west (away from the cathedral) and turn left at Calle 1Atravesada, or the 'Circus Circus' casino (really just a room full of slots). The first street on your right will be Calle Estrada (with a blue sign that says 'Oasis'), and about halfway down on the left is the signed doorway The walk from the parque central takes about 5 minutes.

The single doorway off the street opens through a small reception area to a tiled courtyard with a giant, bright mural on one wall, set around an open air garden. The dorm rooms face onto this bright relaxed area, or onto a second open area set around a small, clean swimming pool. This is a fantastic addition to a hostel in this at times brutally hot city, and is one of the reasons for this place being a bit costlier than other Nicaraguan hostels. The building is very flash from top to bottom, with the polished wood roofing and columns and the stone finished walls well built and well maintained.

There are hammocks and cane furniture around the courtyard, which is kept meticulously clean with seemingly hourly moppings. The hostel attracts a mix of travelers, from backpackers in the dorm beds to families and older travelers in the private rooms, making for a relaxed environment, if not the party atmosphere of some hostels. The staff, however, were at times a little aloof, going about their business without much obvious interest in guests, and (as should be expected) many of the staff (but not all) have minimal English, so at least some Spanish is helpful.

The 2 big dorm rooms sleep 12 people each in bunkbeds, and each bunk comes with it's own enormous locker, big enough for the biggest backpack and then some (Top bunks can also use the tops of the lockers as a bedside table!) Shared bathrooms are cleaned regularly, as they can get a little muddy on the floors with pool-wet feet traffic, with cold showers (although the water never gets a chance to really cool down in the heat) and tiled floors.

The hostel boasts a huge (and free) DVD collection, as well as a book exchange (exchange ONLY, apparently - borrowing a book for the duration of a stay is difficult) and drinks for sale. There are also 10 computers with free internet access to all guests. The kitchen serves breakfast from 7.30-10.30, although it's a bit pricey for what it is and NOT included in the price of a bed, along with free tea and coffee all day.

This hostel is recommended for those looking for a place that is a small step above rock-bottom prices, with facilities that more than make up for the extra cordobas.

John Sargood
2007-03-01
Australia

Good value for the price. We liked the free internet and the beds were pretty decent. The worst part of staying at Hostel Oasis is that the cleaning ladies came in to the dorms at 6:30 a.m. every morning!

Chelsea and Raol
2006-12-16

I stayed in a private room and all rooms have their prices posted inside. I do not believe they charge different prices depending on your ethnic background. Never looked at their website! The pool was impecable (small pool), the place one of the cleanest I have stayed in all Central America. I got a free 10 minute phone call to Spain, free tea, free internet, free ice, free dvd movie rentals and a real mattress with a locker!!! All of this for $6.90 . The staff was awesome and I felt I was in a true oasis. I highly recommended!!!

Lola from Spain
2006-01-12

Well, the rates for the private rooms as posted on their Web site are quite a bit lower than the REAL prices. I was just at this moment (November 25, 7 a.m., quoted $43 for a single room with TV, private bath, air-conditioning, etc., and their Web site says $35. And do you know they give lower prices to Central Americans? I know this because the woman who entered after me got a Central American rate. I understand Spanish very well, so I heard the whole thing.

The fan over the bed appears very dangerous in the way it sways from side to side in haphazard manner. The photos on the Web site show a visually intriguing place, which it is, but everything is dirty, including the sofa cushions and the pool. It could be splendid, and I think it should be with private rates like what they quoted me! I was awoken at 6:30 a.m. by the maid in the room next door to mine making a noise that sounded like repeated banging of a metal bucket against the wall.

I think this place will be very successful, if only for lack of competition for the "rock-bottom hostel" market. It's a shame they can't be honest about their rates as well.

Melly Cuiler
2005-11-25

The Oasis was sweet, not overpriced (if you've been to other places) and the pool was a nice change. It also definitely has one of the coolest laundry rooms I've ever seen.

Kristina
2005-08-11

Hostel Oasis Granada Reviews from the Web

Really enjoyed my stay at Oasis. The staff were very helpful and cheerful. The hostel has plenty of areas to chill out and read but also holds a good vibe around the bar. Food there was delicious!

Thanks

andrewkarlsen299789
2022-07-29

Very social hostel, great location, lovely staff, pool, small but nice breakfast in the morning included. Probably best hostel in Granada

coraljay101866
2022-07-19

really nice hostel with a good vibe. good central location and pool and free breakfast are very nice! good value for money with free drinks every night!

emmyyates6086
2022-07-11

Good sociable hostel with lots of facilities and nice free breakfast. I recommend checking through your tab at the end as it seems other guests added to ours, but staff were happy to take things off and we werent overcharged.

lucybruton53920
2022-07-06

Great hostel! Staff were very friendly and helpful helpful in organising shuttles ect. Free breakfast was great especially the pancakes. Can drink your own drinks in the common area and the staff are chill about it- even giving us ice. Felt like a very big hostel, almost like a hotel. Lovely clean pool. Great location, easy to find. Easy to book tours and close to where you book the tree house party.

lauramoselhi7617
2022-06-28

Oasis was a highlight of our trip in Costa Rica and Nicaragua, and one of very few that welcomed us as a family with kids (9 and 11)! An overall awesome place -- great atmosphere, social vibe, nice people, helpful staff, fun activities and a clean, beautiful pool. It's a huge place with many different areas to hang out depending on your mood. It's a bit of a party hostel, but it's quiet by 10 or 11, and by breakfast the diligent staff have cleaned away any signs of last night's party!

aaqtzoiUoOEyC2xM
2022-06-27

Awesome hostel, so many different areas to hang out and chill, nice communal kitchen and really good pool. The free breakfast is also really good.

Cant describe it all but really great hostel; 100% would stay again.

bensheard
2022-06-24

Great hostel, staff really accommodating and helpful when organising tours and also made an effort to keep me in the same room when I had multiple bookings. Most hostels will just make you move rooms but the staff here made the effort of keeping me in the same room which is great for a traveller.

jack_wheeler45173
2022-06-17

Nice hostel. Dorms were large and clean with big lockers. Kitchen was big and well equipped. Can book all the tours and shuttles from the hostel and has a good atmosphere with friendly staff.

gemmaboultwood9994
2022-06-11

This hostel was amazing and great value for money. Unfortunately me and a few others got very ill here, unsure if it was the general water quality in Granada or a faulty filtered water tap.

irhodes3691960
2022-06-10

Excellent hostel!

LiamParker1997
2022-06-08

My second time staying here, big spacious dorms with high ceilings. Clean, chill vibe, decent pool. Breakfast can be a bit boring as its the same pancakes every day. Good location. Nice rooftop terrace

f_munyaneza7964
2022-06-02

Great atmosphere, comfy beds, and good facilities. Didn't get much information on check-in but staff were very helpful when asked. Great location. Watch out with bags on the floor, the roof in my dorm leaked a bit when it rained heavily. Judging by staining on the ceiling, it might happen frequently. I would still stay here again.

n_sanderson8752
2022-05-27

Everything about the hostel was great, had a very grumpy shuttle driver that is hired by this hostel though. The food there is very good and the kitchen is super well stocked! Lots of fans too.

taylersoep9931
2022-05-26

Spent one whole week here and enjoyed every bit

aiqoL2q3TeNK8xAH
2022-05-23

Wish they took visa card!

racheldavidson6193361
2022-05-13

Perfect place. Best hostel in Granada. Huge kitchen, gym area, perfect rooftop terasse, pool, breakfast ok

christinareindl8414
2022-05-09

Really nice hostel ! 3 free drinks at night

yuvaldekel8
2022-05-08

Really good hostel- large self catering area & lots of bathrooms that are really clean.

Lots of activities going on and lots of things to get involved in.

Easy to book onto tours via the hostel as well.

meganrose8875
2022-04-26

The hostel had everything you could need we stayed in a 2 bed deluxe with a bathroom which was perfect for what we needed. Really great value for money lots of nice areas to chill and meet people too.

sophielogan4038
2022-04-21

A Real Oasis in Granada ! ! !

Choose a topic from the left hand side of the screen.

The Oasis Hostel is new, we opened in June 2002. It is our goal to make the Oasis the greatest hostel in Central America. We believe we offer the best value, the best choice and the best service you can find.

Free internet, a swimming pool, extensive DVD collection, the list goes on. With so many ways to be entertained your only problem will be deciding which of our facilities to choose first.

On a more practical note we have washing facilities, a generous amount of washrooms and, of course, food and drink. We also offer excursions.
Free Internet

We have the latest equipment such as flat screen monitors and high-fidelity speakers so you can listen to all the music you have been missing, while traveling. You will not be doing much thumb twiddling when using our new PCs because the high speed Internet connection means that logging onto your hotmail account takes seconds not minutes.

Our resident expert will be happy to help you should you require assistance, and all this can be done from the comfort of our air-conditioned computer room.

• From the south west corner of the central park, near the horse and carriage tours, go one block west along Calle Real Xalteva (60m) to the market street (Calle Altravesada), turn left and go one block south towards the market (120m), going in the direction of traffic.
• While walking down Calle Altravesada towards the market, be sure to look for the sign on the pole pointing to the right for Oasis.
• Turn right on Calle Estrada and walk half a block to the Oasis Hostel on your left (50m).
• ♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢
• From La Merced Church walk one block south on Cale 14 de Septiembre (100m) the half a block south on Cale Estrada (60 m). Our beautiful green hostel is on the right side.

Address: Calle Estrada, Casa 109, Granada, Nicaragua