Jazz on the Park Youth Hostel

The Hostelz.com Review

In the expensive city of New York, there are very few cheap sleeping options, this however, is one of the cheapest options. But what are you getting...?

More than an hour by subway from JFK airport, though the subway stop is close to the hostel. This same subway stop can easily get you to all the interesting places in Manhattan. The hostel is right next to Central Park, though a bit further from all the other things you might want to see in New York. Thus, you'll either walk a lot or spend money on the subway.

The key card entry rooms contain comfortable, clean bunk beds, a table, a couch and of course some lockers. The couch and desk really add to the atmosphere to the room and we were pleasantly surprised. There is AC for the warmer nights and towels are provided. If you are unlucky, the shower and toilet can be on the opposite end of the building. The shower is just fine and clean, though way too small. There is no space to move your arms and thus no space to dry yourself. But, hey. there are hooks for your towel and clothes.

Immediately as you walk in you'll see an ATM, 'gotta pay'. The common area has a few uncomfortable tables, a relaxing couch and computers. All along the wall is a line of plugs for charging all your devices, which is very convenient. This also causes everyone to sit here with there phones and computers, making it less social. Additionally, there are vending machines for your convenience which makes an annoying sound when used. The kitchen is very shabby and might as well not exist. Really, don't expect to cook here. Simple things like cups and bowls are not even present. Your options of cooking are limited to toast and microwavable meals. Be sure to bring your own utensils

For one of the cheapest hostels in NYC, it is just fine. They provide a proper clean place to sleep. Shower and toilets are not the most comfortable, but good nonetheless considering the New York price. It is a real shame about the kitchen, you'll need your own cups, bowls, plates and utensils, which guests may not have. If you Keep this in mind, you'll not be surprised when arriving at this hostel... it is still the cheapest option.
by legends of monkeys

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Jazz on the Park Youth Hostel" at 36 West 106th Street.)

36 West 106th Street, Manhattan - Upper West Side, New York City (NYC), New York, USA
40.798117, -73.960785 (accuracy not guaranteed)
+1 (212) 932-1600
+1 (212) 932-1700

How is Jazz on the Park Youth Hostel rated on other websites?

Just an average one
There are not complains about the hostel itself, other than how rude and not helpful people on the front desk are. I got what I payed for (cheap) so no complains there. My disappointment comes from how boring the place was. I was looking for having some fun at this hostel based on the reviews but people were hardly on the common areas, and even one day we were told to go to our rooms at 4 am (2 of us). I'll probably look for something else next time.
Age 29, Canada
Fab location, not so great facilities
We couldn't ask for a better location for our trip right opposite Central Park and a short walk from the subway. Also there is a corner shop that does cheap breakfasts and $1 coffee! This was great for us as the hostel has no kitchen to speak of. There is a microwave and a fridge but that's all and no pots or even cups to use. We managed ok because we were only there a few days so could eat out but for travelers on a budget and staying longer it might create a problem! Otherwise great stay.
Laura and Ali
Age 24, UK
Great hostel, great people, great times. If you're lucky enough to meet Maria at reception she will rock your world!
Jake Solomon
Age 23, New Zealand
Best Hostel in NYC!!
I have been staying in hostels in NYC for 10 years.Jazz on the Park is THE best hostel in the city. Period, full stop! Security, cleanliness, location, activities, and price are the best. IN Manhattan. Not Queens, Not Bronx, Not Brooklyn! A lot of travelers don't understand that Manhattan IS NYC. While technically the other boroughs are part of New York City, Manhattan is where everything is located. Times Square, 5th Ave. shopping, Central Park, MOMA, NYU, Wall Street. I also have to give Pedro at the front desk a shout as he goes beyond being just helpful and friendly!
Horrible! Never again!
This stay was nothing but stress! The bunk beds almost fall apart once you climb up there, the beds are more than uncomfortable, the bugs are walking through the bed, the bathrooms are disgusting you don't want to touch anything even the door handles are sticky as hell, almost no possibilities to hang it lay your things somewhere while showering (except on dirty places), the stuff is not welcoming and for every single thing such as internet, luggage storage they charge extra money! What a bad hostel!!! Don't book it!!
Age 31, Denmark
the hostel doesn't offer breakfast as it says in the website, and when i mention the receptionist was not nice and said "yes, the website is wrong". I stayed in the first floor and there was no bathroom, so everytime i had to go to the second floor to use it ... the bathrooms are dirty and disgusting. it's annoying.
I reserved a bed for a night about 36 hours in advance. When I went there, I was told that I cannot stay because I am a resident of New York state. It was apparently some sort of a rule, and it says so somewhere (in some corner) in their website. I got back to them about an hour later and told them its already 9PM saturday night and all other hostels are full and I have nowhere to go, but they simply wouldn't let me stay, not even for one night. I AM an international student, only thing is, I am on a long-term visit to NY. I am not saying nothing is my fault, all I am saying is, 1. the staff is not very understanding, and unwilling to help you out when you're caught up by some stupid rule, and 2. they don't flash such an important rule in the monitor when you make your reservation and give your credit card details in advance. Tell you what, I was told that I'll still be charged some 70 odd bucks. for what, Jazz? Bottom line, don't expect any help from them if you find yourself in a tough situation.
Horrible price-quality ration, but then it is NYC
Had a private 2p room. It was fine, nothing special, but did pay over 80 dollars a night. Walls were thin so you could hear the water pipes pretty loudly, and the curtains were very light. Staff was not very friendly. No free wifi. Conclusion, for any other place, it would've been a 1 or 2 star rating, but seeing as everything in NYC is expensive, it's average.

Rate Jazz on the Park Youth Hostel