Elephant Backpacker Melbourne, Melbourne

6.9

your hostels in Melbourne

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Elephant Backpacker Melbourne rated on booking websites?

Elephant Backpacker Melbourne Reviews

Worst hostel in three countries so far ...

Where do I start? Rude dishonest staff, $5 dollar deposit on spoon, bowl and cup. $15 all up. Lift constantly malfunctioning. Filthy kitchen, no couches or cooking elements that worked. Noisy ventilation fan in room kept turning on and off above my bunk. Mould on carpets in hallways. Using unqualified unsupervised staff to work on construction renovations. Security was a joke, card lock doors were not working, despite a 'tradesman' attacking the striker catch with an angle grinder. Five self contained bathrooms on third floor. One out of order the others filthy. First floor had office like partitions between rooms, not walls. Communal bathroom on this floor was much worse. The only good thing I see about the place is the location. However there is a much better place less than a block away I moved into.

Peter
2013-05-04
Age 30 | New Zealand

Stay away!

This is the worst hostel I ever stayed in! Don't stay there, seriously! I wouldn't recommend this hostel to my worst enemy.0 I stayed in the third floor which is described as the best one because every room has got it's own ceiling. Even though it was the best floor, the hallways looked like prison hallways. There were five bathrooms on the level but two of them were permanently broken and the other three were either incredibly dirty or the sink was broken/clogged. But the worst thing of all was the kitchen/common room in the basement. When you enter this room you want to leave immediately because of the strong strange smell and the dirtiness. There were pieces of old food under the facilities which were not removed by anybody during my one-week-stay (yes, unfortunately I booked for a week). 80% of the kitchen facilities were broken. There is an atmosphere like I imagine the atmosphere in hell to be like, I almost became depressive down there. Not easy to meet new people in such a place! When you are finally done with cooking and want to leave this disgusting room, you have to take the filthy elevator (kitchen door didn't open from the inside) which sounds like it could get stuck all the time. Even though I do not expect much from hostels and I always thought no place would be too filthy and dirty for me, THIS is the prove that such a place is actually existing!

Lars
2013-01-17

Elephant Backpackers meets the bare minimum requirements one would expect of a hostel in Australia.

The hostel is in a great location. It is right in the middle of town, just off Swanston Street and opposite Flinders Street train station and other transport modes, so getting around is no problem. It is also near shops, libraries, and other amenities and it's also very close to the river for running, walking, sightseeing, and cycling. The hostel is in the city centre so this also means that there is no parking.

The dorm rooms are like no other, but this is not necessarily a good thing. The wafer-thin walls do not touch the ceiling, so basically each of the three floors are like one massive dorm. You can hear people whispering on the other side of the building and you can also peer into other people's dorms just by getting on the top bunk and standing/kneeling. This certainly gives the impression that the hostel is crowded.

The curtains are always closed and there does not seem to be any fresh air or light coming into the building -- even more annoying if you have a smelly person in your room. The door locks are secure and there are lockers for use in the dorms (bring your own padlock). There are options for "private" rooms too. The hostel also has a party feel to it so don't expect to get a good sleep, especially with the busy road just outside.

The bathrooms are satisfactory, with readily available hot water for your shower as well as space to change and hooks for your clothes. In general, there are enough showers and toilets to cater for the large amount of guests.

Other common spaces take the form of a very very large kitchen and dining area. The self-catering facilities are large but a little simplistic. There is a policy for guests to clean their own dishes but this often gets ignored, much to the annoyance of other guests who then have to clean other people's dishes to use them, then clean their own. This area also has a mini-lounge area for watching TV and a DVD room. Desktop computers with internet access are also available for a fee. Luggage storage is quite costly -- when we arrived early on our first day, we asked to put our luggage behind the front desk, but this was declined. We were left with the only option of paying quite a lot of money to put our luggage in an automated locker.

Summary

If you are after location and low prices, then you can't go far wrong with this place, but if you're after a little more in terms of quality of building, sleep, and facilities, then this place is a little lacking.

Tudor Davies
2011-02-02
Wales, UK

Cheap, good location but hard to live in at times

I liked it because I could afford a room for myself but I wanted to stay for a long time and the staff told me that if re booked my room at the same time every week I would never lose my bed. This was not the case and one day they told me i had to move on also no sockets in the bedrooms which was really annoying not to mention the walls that did not touch the ceilings but I got used to it in the end and was usually so tired i would sleep well. I met some very nice people in this backpackers but it could do with a few improvements. Its location is its biggest asset and I liked the board at the bottom of the stairs telling us all the info we needed to know.

Fitzy
2010-01-11
Irish

Clean and central but expensive!

The hostel has probably the best location in Melbourne, opposite Flinders station. It's fresh and clean with almost a hotel feeling rather then a hostel. However, everything comes with a price. The staff are friendly if you pay for it! I had to pay $5 for storing my luggage two hours! No breakfast or even free coffee. The kitchen is the downside, in the basement. Fairly big but noisy and not very nice to eat a dinner. Laundry, TV, internet, kitchen, everything is in the same big room. Way too small fridges also. If you are able to squeeze in one milk there you are lucky! People are alright but not so easy to contact, mostly closed groups unwilling to meet others. If you want a nice and clean bedroom with central location, this is it. If you want to meet many backpackers and live cheap, this is not!

Fredrik
2009-11-17
Sweden

Go and experience it, its hilarious, its warm, its welcoming

Well, this hostels facilities could be better, but it is adequate for the budget traveler, and overall, I enjoyed my time here and could just as easily check myself in and stay a few more nights. The room walls dont go all the way up to the ceiling, but me and my roommies found it more hilarious then annoying, but just dont go talking really loud or people could hear your secrets, I have found on occasion a couple arguing a few rooms away from mine, a few loud snorers and some drunks with some colourful language. The bathrooms could do with a remake as well as the kitchen, but the guests you will meet here are friendly, and drinking games are the norm in the evening. Good location.

mike
2009-02-15
UK

Excellent value! Friendly! Fun! Fantastic!

Great atmosphere in an awesome location. yes its true that there are no roofs on the "rooms" which are more like cubicles -- a door and four walls but they are clean, the beds comfy, and the duvet lovely/warm in winter! bathrooms are of a good size and clean! The communal kitchen whilst not awesome is usable and the communal lounge room is a great place to meet other backpackers! if you have any questions or problems the staff mostly will bend over backwards to help you! A tip is to be flexible with when you cook/bathe/do your laundry. avoid peak times and theres never a problem! It's great -- would gladly stay there again!

Nathan
2008-07-15
Australia

Well, I only stayed here twice for one night each.

I quite liked the atmosphere, but what I liked best was the big laugh I had when I first saw the rooms.

It's ridiculous...but funny for a night. No roofs at all.

My advice: try it once, but not if u r planning to pull someone that night ;-)

FreshDude

2013-07-26

LOCATION!

Magen Elenz
2013-07-23

The best benefit of this hostel is the good location and friendly staff.

Yu Syuan Rao
2013-07-10

The hostel is located in the middle of the city, so great location. Really cheap and a lot of fun people to meet.

2013-06-23

What a turnaround. I stayed at Elephant in 2012 and cant believe the changes. Some familiar faces behind the reception desk Now have wifi. You can sleep at night in the 1st and 2nd floor dorms, Its quiet now the night guy chases noisemakers to the basement. Everywhere you look there are improvements. From the new Wifi to the big screen TV in the basement. Everywhere you look things are being cleaned and painted and from talking to the staff massive changes are on the way. :-) As explained on the website the rooms on the 2nd floor where I was, Are cubicle style but the staff are great you drop your phone or PC in reception and they charge it. If Kara or Per dont know where something is they happily google and print it out for you. I just hopped off a long journey and chuckled all the way to my room.

Its not the best place I have been But a long way from the worst. Apparently there is a new owner and you can really see that they love the place. And are doing massive changes. 10 out of 10 for the improvements and I will definately be coming back to see the changes

Peter Andersen
2013-05-31

value

mark symons
2013-05-10

None.

Choo Huat Teoh
2013-05-06

Cheap and in a very good central location.

Helyn Long

Chris Young
2013-04-30

Nothing.

2013-04-29

Location and helpful staff.

Simon Crisp
2013-04-24

It wa very cheap and it's location is great.

Loesja Carmina Vigour
2013-04-19

Very convenient location... Met some great people... It was a fun experience... Comfortable beds...

2013-04-08

At least cheapest backpacker in Melbourne

Right in the middle of the inner City

2013-04-02

nothing

2013-03-31

Good location, cheap

2013-03-28

Close proximity to Flinders Street Stn, cafe's, library, city hub.

Samantha Aungle
2013-03-25

The Elephant Backpacker is walking distance from all of Melbourne's best tourist sites, sporting venues, public transport hubs, resturants & cafes, movie theatres, museums & galleries, pub & clubs, as well as the city's many gardens, parklands and the Yarra River.

Being right in the city's heart we're surrounded by the best shopping in Australia, and the Queen Victoria Market is only a stroll away.

Elephant Backpacker provides a clean and friendly atmosphere, and helpful local staff.
A spacious lounge is availible, along with a fully equipped kitchen and laundry facilities. Other features include:
Mail & fax services,
Tour bookings
Lockers in all Rooms
Discounted weekly rates
All linen and blankets are provided
Payment Methods: Cash, Eftpos, Visa, Mastercard.

Right in the heart of Melbourne city, on Flinders Street inbetween Swanston and Elizabeth Streets, opposite the Flinders Street Railway Station.

Address: 250 Flinders Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Elephant Backpacker Melbourne is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Elephant Backpacker Melbourne Melbourne www.elephantbackpacker.com.au
Phone Number: +61 (3) 9654-2616

Elevator/Lift

Swimming Pool

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate Elephant Backpacker Melbourne