Travellers Paradise, Cairns

Parramatta Park
8.0

Travellers Paradise is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com HostelsClub Hostelworld

How is Travellers Paradise rated on booking websites?

Travellers Paradise Reviews

Terrible.

Extremely noisy. Got hardly any sleep. Manager abusive.

2018-05-31

Never again

Stayed at Geckos backpackers on the 2nd May 2018. A drunk/drugged backpacker went on a rampage and there was blood everywhere and the office was smashed to pieces. There was no caretaker there. we rang the number and it went to voicemail. the police took a couple of hours to get there are finally came at midnight. then the manager Peter and a mate came in and from midnight till 2 a.m. we heard them hammering, dropping stuff and talking loud as if it was the middle of the day. when we told him we shouldn't have to pay for that night he called us "crazy", "rude", "grow up" and finally threatened to call the police so we paid. he didn't give us a receipt and only accepted cash. when I told him he was pathetic he told me to "shut your mouth." he almost destroyed our dream holiday. I was still shaking when I got back home. he is scary -- and I will never stay there again. it was also very bad value for money.

Roby
2018-05-09
Age 50 | Australia

The owner is nasty, greedy, dishonest

The owner kept us awake between midnight and 2 a. M. Hammering, talking loudly, and dropping stuff after a horrendous time between 10 pm and midnight when a drunken backpacker trashed the office (caretakers' number went to voicemail and police took ages to get there). Owner threatened and abused us. My daughter and grandchild crying. Was still shaking when I got home.

Robyn
2018-05-06
Age 50 | Australia

Horrendous place with scary owner

Avoid this place like the plague! We stayed one night and it was riddled with bedbugs. When we posted a negative review on a travel website, we then received daily death threats for 2 weeks. If it weren't for being 1000 miles away from Cairns now, we would have reported to the police. Very scary. Stay anywhere else!

Alex
2015-08-03
Age 30 | England

Response from the accommodation:

Hey Alex. You stayed here 3 years ago and that's when you were unlucky to have come across a bed bug that another traveller bought into the hostel as this is how they get here in the first place. We have not had any bed bugs since. You had the ordacity to post a review after I kindly refunded all your money that I did not have to and I told you that the room would be closed down and not open again until I was absolutely 100% certain it was okay. That's why I abused you as you did not have to advertise what happened but instead I thought you would be understanding and happy that I gave you your money back. You and your girlfriend just abused the hostel and have no respect or what so ever. WE HAVE HAD NO BED BUGS AT ALL FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS SINCE YOUR UNFORTUNITE EXPERIENCE. Then in 8/2015 you post a review here worded as if this happened this year. MAY GOD HELP YOU. I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT YOU JUST DID NOT APPRECIATE THAT I REFUNDED YOUR BOOKING.

Warning!

The guy who runs this place, Peter, is a volatile control freak and a threatening bully, every inch a sociopath when he doesn't have his way. He will target the elderly and anyone weaker than he is. He is gutless when it counts. Avoid this creep and the cheap outfit he runs.

John
2014-10-15
Age 30 | American

Response from the accommodation:

Hey John. CAN YOU BE SPECIFIC IN WHAT EXACTLY YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT? THE ONLY GUTLESS FREAK IS YOU TO SAY NASTY THINGS ABOUT ME AFTER YOU HAVE CHECKED OUT. IF YOU WERE A MAN THEN YOU WOULD FACE ME FACE TO FACE AND TELL ME WHAT YOUR MENTAL PROBLEM IS. PLEASE CHECK YOURSELF IN TO SEE THE MENTALIST DOCTORS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Awesome

Best place to stay in Cairns! Always get a good night rest here. Clean, quite and now with new beds its even better. Nice place to crash.

James
2013-03-10
NewZealand

Very standard

i stayed here i have been bitten by something it was bedbugs. i have a rash over my whole body. if i know now i would not stay there for your health.

ben
2013-03-02
austraila

Response from the accommodation:

Hi Ben. There were no bed bugs found in your room after you had called me and informed me about your rash. I am sorry for whatever the rash may of come from however we have had no bed bugs here for the past years. All the best and thanks for staying with us.

The worst hostel experience in my life

Gecko's Backpackers is advertised to be "a quiet place", which means that it's not permitted to drink alcohol or party there after 10 pm. The quietness would work better with some kind of isolation; now the walls let every possible sound in, and as the house is old, someone walking around the corridors makes enough noise to wake you up. The big street just next to Gecko's is pretty noisy too. The lack of good air conditioning made at least me want to keep the window open all day and night long, and it was still almost too hot to sleep inside (in wintertime). The "free internet access 24 hours a day" turned out to be two cables for the whole hostel, and most of the time they're both taken. The receptionist/owner is a middle-aged talkative man from whom it's difficult to get your turn to speak. He's really eager and helpful with finding you something to do and booking tours - probably because he gets 15 % of the price to himself. He's still kind enough to get you some discount, paid from his own part of the deal, which is pretty nice. After the third time I grew a bit fed up with listening to his praise to the great discount and his own kindness, which is included in the deal, but that's small. But there's another thing that's not small, at least not for me: if you go to Gecko's, prepare to be satisfied with everything you get. Otherwise the receptionist will blame you on "being negative" and use quite hard language to be heard from someone who actually takes your money. I was called "ridiculous" and "silly" because I was disappointed with the internet connection, and there was no way even to agree to disagree. He said that he wants to keep up good spirit and a positive atmosphere in Gecko's, which is a really nice idea. I just think that the best way to do that isn't shouting to everyone who's not positive enough and threaten them with throwing them out if they don't start to be satisfied right away. Something that Gekko's is, it's cheap. I'd still choose another place to go.

F
2012-08-28
Finland

Response from the accommodation:

THATS RIGHT I REMEMBER NOW NO MATTER HOW MUCH I TRIED TO HELP YOU YOU WERE NOT HAPPY. I EVEN LET YOU USE MY OFFICE COMPUTER AND OH MY GOD YOU WERE STILL NOT HAPPY. SO THERE IS ONLY ONE THING I CAN SAY MAY GOD HELP YOU AND GET WELL.

Travellers Paradise Reviews from the Web

Mutton dressed up as lamb!

Nice foyer.. totally inadequate kitchen and bathroom needs more attention to detail especially under toilet seats! Grubby and unhygienic. The door does not shut properly which is problematic for a womens bathroom as everyone can see in.

The room itself has a fridge and air conditioner.. shame about all the traffic noise.

The manager can be rude and obnoxious, sexist and ought to take an anger management course!

adventureinmind
2022-08-07

Very clean, nice pool area and friendly staff. Ticked all the boxes! I would defiantly stay here again.

mjlitherland9049
2022-02-25

Super clean, quiet and chilled guest house. Stayed here for 9 days and really enjoyed our time. Perfect base for exploring. Free Air con in room was a lovely added touch. Would definitely recommend.

jackwsutton4345
2022-01-25

A great hostel. The pool is a great place to relax, it's shaded and quite cool.

We stayed in the double rooms and they were comfortable. They even had a small fridge to keep our food in, plus the air con kept us nice and cool during the night.

The kitchen and bathrooms were really clean, and the kitchen has everything we needed to cook meals.

andrewlanning878216
2022-01-01

The best backpackers I have stayed in, and I have travelled far.

Everywhere and everything is clean and tidy.

The rooms are spacious as are the showers and the toilets are super clean.

The kitchen has all the equipment you need.

The place is quiet and the staff are happy to help.

I shall return there whenever I stay in Cairns.

beautifulgardendesigns4534
2021-09-23

Pleasant place to stay friendly Owner front rooms are quite noisy due to traffic

bellgarry1609
2021-07-02

Cheap and easy. Good communication, helpful, decent rooms.

alecnewman1896
2020-08-16

It was clean

2014-08-12

Geckos is for those that would like a relaxed quite night after a long day out exploring, there is a NO drinking in the common areas, the place is super clean and John the owner is very helpful, he can help you find the best deals in your tours and he is very honest. Geckos, has a great clean swimming pool, no bank beds, beds are ok, and you can even get your own room for little money, it is central to every thing in Cairns.

kenneth Fallas
2014-04-22

Pleasant and green. Cool and restful even when very full.

Pauline Jones
2013-09-30

Clean and cheap

2013-09-06

Very friendly and helpful staff, big dorm rooms with only 4 beds (proper ones, not bunks), lots of fans and windows, all facilities, free wifi, pool

2013-07-21

Nice clean and newly refubished room! Very good free wifi. Free simple breakfast, free dinner at Gillian's (don'T forget drivers licence or ID!!!). Good free parking.

2013-07-05

Nice pool and would come back here again

WJohn Barnard
2013-03-11

Very friendly, free Wifi and AC, clean toilets and showers

Dave Mathews
2013-01-29

2012-11-21

Staff is very friendly and helpful. You can ask them for anything. Also the free 24 hr wifi is amazing! It's also a very quiet place, perfect for resting travellers.

2012-11-18

It is a really quiet place; has a good, clean and tidy kitchen; and a nice quiet relaxed atmosphere; provides a free dinner voucher at Gilligans.

Tiffany Lavia
2012-10-01

nothing

2012-08-31

looks nice from the outside

Sophia Wächtler
2012-08-06

Gecko’s backpackers is a historical large building, located in the heart of Cairns; It’s is a heritage listed building with big rooms and hi ceilings. Gecko’s is a very quiet and relaxing resort for backpackers. We have spacious indoors and outdoors areas, crystal clear water pool, gardens and mango trees around. Great resting place for planning tours, no bunk beds; all city attractions within walking distance - 1km to Cairns city center- Coles supermarket and Cairns Central Shopping Centre next door. Discounted tours for all customers, free airport or bus pickup, free internet, free tea & coffee 24h. A free backpacker meal at Gilligans nightly.Large kitchen, laundry facilities available! Excellent backpackers atmosphere. By the way this is not a party hostel so you’ll be able to have a good and safe rest that’s why we are proudly a quiet hostel, thanks for your support.

187 Bunda Street,Parramatta Park, right opposite Cairns Central railway station, 1km from the city centre.

Address: 187 Bunda Street, Cairns Central, Parramatta Park, Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Travellers Paradise is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com HostelsClub

Videogames

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): All Ages

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Minimum Stay: as long as needed

Reception Hours: 7.30am to 12pm, 3.30pm to 7pm

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Travellers Paradise