Donegal Town Independent Hostel

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Donegal Town Independent Hostel" at Doonan.)

Doonan, Donegal, County Donegal, Ireland
54.656010, -8.125795 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.donegaltownhostel.com
074 9722805

How is Donegal Town Independent Hostel rated on other websites?

Nice and quiet, very homey
The owner, Linda, is extremely friendly and really makes an effort to know everyone there. If there is no one there when you get there, she is probably in the house next door so go and knock and she'll greet you through the hostel (that's what I had to do). I stayed at the end of October around Halloween so there weren't many other people there, but she made an effort to even get guests to socialize with each other. It seems really far when you first walk there from town, but once you know where you're going its really not so bad at all.
Jennifer
2009-11-03

Excellent!
It's true, Linda really is great. It's evident not just from my own personal experience, but from the cards and postcards she had on the wall with other travelers thanking her. I was tired and grumpy when I arrived but she was still extremely friendly and even switched my room for me so I could have a bottom bunk. They are very easy going and relaxed at this hostel -- didn't even ask me to pay til I left! There were a lot of toilets and even though the hostel was full I didn't have to wait too long for the showers. They had a new kitten living outside when I was there -- Monty -- who was adorable! So cute. Only negative is it is quite the walk from town, about fifteen minutes. Not so bad for going to the pubs, but with a backpack and carrying bags was a bit of a trek. Still worth it though -- just be prepared!
T
(Canada)
2009-08-20

It felt like I was visiting family
I showed up in January of 2007 for a couple of nights with no direction of where I was going. Linda suggested I check out some heritage centers and pointed me in the right direction. Before I made it to the heritage centers I was taken on a journey through the countryside by a crazy Russian tank commander who liked techno music, a lovely elderly couple who had been visiting the countryside every year for the past sixty-five, and a fantastic Kiwi couple who kept in touch and I was able to put them in contact with an old friend from the states. All in all if Linda hadn't told me to just go out and thumb-it I would have never had these experiences. Not only were the rooms clean, but I left feeling like I was home. I don't know if this was Linda's Hostel or Ireland, but I highly suggest you discover it for yourself.
Andy
(California (Yeah, I know it's not a country but I don't associate with Bush))
2007-09-28
  We stayed for two nights at Linda's in September 2006 and I'd never been welcomed the way she welcomed us (my boyfriend and I). She is so nice! I will come back for sure!
Marie
(France)
2007-04-22
  We loved our night here, and definitely the host Linda, her daughter, and the dog Scooby were the best part of the stay. You can clearly see they love their job and meeting all the new people who pass through. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the kitchen and lounge large and well-equipped and on Easter Sunday, Linda even hid chocolate Easter eggs in the garden, although Scooby did get to most of them first!Donegal town was very quaint, and we had a nice few drinks in a couple of the pubs.
L Hill
2006-04-18
  Really nice. I'm still shocked with the kindness of Linda. She showed us the room, the showers, the kitchen and introduced his dog. In the morning she gave us info about Slieve League. Thanks Linda. Hope we'll see again.
Ismael
2005-12-18
  This is the best hostel ever!! It has the friendliest staff on the world! This place is clean, cozy, well, just great! I stayed there at the end of September 2005 and had a great time. You really feel like you are at home and the dog is pretty amazing as well. The couple that runs the hostel has the greatest sense of humor so you will not be bored!!
Katja Arnez
2005-10-14
  My wife and I were there in early August 2005. Great showers, good kitchen, many lovely places to sit, read, or strum a guitar. It's a mini-UN of visitors from all corners. Our room was painted in the colors of the Irish flag. Linda and Andy are the best hostel hosts we have come across in our travels. The place has at atmosphere about it — people are friendly, "in this together." We met several friends there and have communicated with them by postcard since our visit. Highly recommended!
Mike Finley