STF/HI Youth Hostel Lund, Lund

8.3

Sorry, this hostel has closed.

But wait! There are more hostels in Lund...

Lund Hostels

STF/HI Youth Hostel Lund Reviews

The unique STF/HI Youth Hostel Lund offers more than a place to rest your head -- it also offers you a journey back in time, being in an old train (with authentic interiors and all).

As you get off the trains at Lund station, you will have the town on one side and an overpass taking you to the other side. Having crossed the overpass, you will notice a train in the middle of a park. The cathedral, parts of the university, and most of Lund's other attractions are within ten minutes' walking distance. There is an ICA supermarket next to the station.

The beds are laid out as they would be on a train a few decades ago -- three bunks in a cramped room. If the hostel is full, that could be an inconvenience. Although the rooms have quite quirky interiors (it's not every day you sleep in a train!), there isn't much more lighting than reading lights, so you wouldn't want to spend too much time in them. There is also a bathroom carriage with toilets and coin-operated showers. These facilities are clean and well functioning.

This isn't the most social hostel ever. There is a ping pong table and an ice hockey game (very Swedish!), as well as public phones in one part near the reception. The "caf carriage" has wireless internet and can provide breakfast for a charge.

Summary

This hostel does have a lot of character and all of the facilities that you would expect from an STF/HI Hostel. It's a great place to stay if exploring Lund or even other parts of Skane, however, it isn't the most social of hostels.

Kristian Nilsson
2008-02-10
Australia

A cosy place to be

I was curious as I read that it's an old train - so we decided to stay there for two nights.

It is really a great location, not very far from the city centre of Lund which is really beautiful.

There are a lot of families staying, but backpackers as well.

The staff are friendlz and it's really cosy.

The rooms are cosy, too, even if they are very (!) small.

I'm sure that I'll return next year!

Julia
2007-07-27
Germany

Overall a great hostel in a great location. Nice clean bathrooms and kitchen, good games room with table tennis and Kubb. The rooms are in old train sleepers so can be a bit squashy, but there is plenty of storage spaces to compensate. There is a nice outdoor area and BBQ. One problem is if you are staying in the last carriage you have a long walk to the exit and kitchen at the other end. Can also get very full with international students just before semester starts. The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke quite a few languages. Would not hesitate to return.

Vanessa
2006-09-02

I have not had many hostels to compare this one to, however I totally enjoyed my stay here and I am looking forward to bringing my children next time. They will love it!

Darkon64
2004-11-29

I had an excellent stay at this hostel while my brother and I were traveling around Sweden. I would definitely recommend this hostel, as it's a good base location to explore Lund, Malmo, and also Copenhagen. It is also very close to the train station. This hostel is unique, as it is an old train. My brother and I shared a room. The room was very(!) small, but adequate. We had bunk beds, and there were shared showers and restrooms. The hostel provided a very good breakfast buffet, for 40-50 kronar, I believe. Definitely check this hostel out!

Tom Jarvela
2004-09-25

Sorry, this hostel has closed.

But wait! There are more hostels in Lund...

Lund Hostels