Lodge in the City, Wellington

Te Aro
4.9

your hostels in Wellington

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Lodge in the City rated on booking websites?

Lodge in the City Reviews

Worst experience!

Absolutely disgusting, bathrooms & toilets were pure filth. 3 out of the 3 toilets on our level were out of order. the place stunk, room said it had heating, there was no sign of heating at all & management were absolutely useless. Ended up leaving 5 minutes after check in and not worrying about getting our money back! Would not recommend at all, unless you were homeless or after drugs!

2016-06-29
Age 20 | Australian

My 10 hour stay was worse than the week I got food poisoning

This was my first hostel experience ever, and my worst hostel experience ever. Easily one of the dirtiest and most revolting places I've set foot in. I stayed here for one night with my brother in March 2016, and we were crammed into a small 8 bed dorm, where it barely fit the 4 bunk beds. With it being in a downtown central location it was evident that many patrons lived at the hostel week to week. The carpets were dingy and disgusting, and outside one of the washrooms on our floor the carpet was stained and probably rotting with mold and mildew from water seeping under the doorway from showers or toilet floods. Many of the toilets did not work, or had no toilet seat, which is pretty essential for a women's washroom. I stayed overnight and had I not spent 8 hours on the road that day I would not have peed there at all!! The kitchen was a messy disaster as if no one had cleaned up the space for days. The fridges had little to no space in them, and the small container of hummus we left in it overnight was stolen by the morning (rip hummus). The "mattresses" we slept on seemed to be either so thin you could feel the planks of the bunk bed in your back all night (as my brother said), or has springs and coils sticking every which way that you have to contort your body to find a crevice to sleep in for a few hours (which was how my sleep went). We went to check out in the morning and had to go back to collect our sheets and bedding as no one had told us to bring them with us for checkout. The only good things about this hostel are its central location, which sucked when cars and motorcycles would rip down the streets as loud as possible at 3am, the affordability, and the fact that any other hostel I stay in will be better than this one. If I could rate it 0/5 I would..

Sarah
2016-06-08
Age 20 | Canada

Don't book here!!!!!

Do not book with this "hotel." Made a booking and got an email 5 weeks later saying they can no longer accommodate me due to being over booked. 5 weeks later is unacceptable. If you need a place to stay and cant afford an email weeks later of on the day of arrival telling you they cant accommodate you then don't book these guys!!!!!

Kim
2015-07-29
Age 43 | NZ

Horrible!! Poop in my shower!!

This place was an absolute disaster -- don't stay here!! I rented a double with my boyfriend and we given two twin beds instead. We paid $165 for a week, but left early after I took a shower and realized I was standing in poop. Yes, poop. I told the front desk and they didn't seem to really care, saying that it must have just happened because the cleaning service had been in there earlier. I highly doubted this, because the showers all had balls of hair blocking each drain, which had been there all week. Also, kitchen was a mess!! Nowhere to store your food, half the stove tops were broken, no ovens. Horrible experience and checked out immediately after the poop incident. *shudder* Stay away!!

Ariel
2014-07-14
Age 23 | USA

Lodge in the City is a BBH hostel just a short ways from Courtenay Place. It's inexpensive with comfortable beds, but certain inconveniences keep it from being a top-notch hostel.

If you're coming from the bus station, head down Waterloo Quay; where it forks, turn right onto Taranaki Street. The hostel is at the intersection of Taranaki and Vivian, about a twenty-minute walk from the railway station. It's near Courtenay Place, so it's close to bars and restaurants, as well as the waterfront. They do offer parking for a fee, and the city bus runs by frequently.

The dorm rooms lock securely, although some of the doors stick, so double check that the doors are shut. The dorms have ten beds, made up of five bunk beds; there are options for private, share, or double rooms. The beds are comfortable, and the bunks are tall, so you have space to sit up whether you are on the top or bottom bunk. The beds have reading lamps, but only some of them are functioning, and there are several outlets in the rooms but no lockers.

The showers have lower pressure than usual, but seem to have plenty of heat. They are also spacious, with shower caddies, hooks, and plenty of space to change. The toilets seem a bit dingy, and some of them have more trouble flushing than others, but they do what they need to do.

There is one large room containing a common room, dining room, and kitchen. The common room, with Sky TV, has modern, comfortable couches. The dining room has several tables and chairs and power outlets as well. There is also a computer area adjacent to the common room with outlets and internet access, which can be purchased from reception.

The kitchen is a mess; it's large, but not enough for the amount of guests. The refrigerators are so full that some of them don't close (even though there are three and they are all relatively new). The cooking utensils are old and banged up. It is difficult to find towels to dry pots and pans, so they are often simply left sitting on the counter, and mugs are also missing much of the time. There aren't enough plates or trashcans. It's cleaned about twice a day, but it gets dirty in the meantime because of the lack of supplies and old facilities.

There is a separate game room with various arcade games, two pool tables, and an XBox 360. There is a bar inside, but it doesn't look like it's always functioning. They also have a small book exchange and a secure luggage storage room.

Since it's one of the cheapest hostels in Wellington, and one of the largest as well, it attracts a variety of people. There are young backpackers as well as older adults. It's a bit of a party hostel, with several people up very late in the game room playing pool or XBox, but it doesn't ever seem to get crazy or out of hand. But, since it's so large and cheap, you can also find mellow people who would rather sit in bed and chat than go out and drink.

Summary

This hostel is very cheap, with comfortable rooms. But the messy kitchen is a pretty big downside. If you're only staying for a night or two, this is a great place. But if you're planning on staying a bit longer, the kitchen and the crowds may prove too frustrating.

Tyler-Rose Veguez
2012-02-15
United States of America

Pretty Good

This place is pretty good considering their prices. Common areas and room was well cleaned and the staff were more than helpful. Sure, its an older building but they keep it clean and comfortable, the dorm I stayed in was full entire stay, all great people!

2010-06-27

A kip

If I could give it a zero star, I would. I left with two nights paid for in advance which they wouldn't refund. The guy from the next hostel in Wellington I went to guessed the name on his first try when I started telling him about a kip of a hostel I just left. He said it's better known in Wellington as the "Dodge In The City." But, the girl working behind the counter was really nice.

Alan
2008-11-28
Ireland

Lifeless

This hostel was the only place left in town with a double room -- we should have known. The greeting lacked the welcome tones i've experienced in other hostel across Australia, Africa, South America, and Europe. Information was not freely given. Management seems to have sucked the life out of all its staff. Payment was upfront and in full -- sometimes difficult when you've only just landed in the country and this is your first stop from the airport! Deposits were required for crockery and kitchen utensils (pots, pans, knives had to be borrowed when required from reception). The lift worked on the odd occasion. But there was no socialising, partly because the bar was shut and the kitchen and social room were only open between 8 a.m. and 11 p.m., but partly because everyone escaped this place whenever they had the chance. Old doors and were being stored in the communal area. It did have positives -- an extremely comfy bed and great showers. But this didn't make up for the fact that even the signs seemed rude. Avoid.

Chul
2008-05-31
English

Lodge in the City Reviews from the Web

Some staff not wearing masks

Actually stunk, like ventilation is needed

Showers were gross

Dark and dirty

Just ew

mctza981
2021-10-08

My expectations were low because of the other reviews, but the reality was a little bit better . The problems are the bad cleaning of the place and things that dont work. The place is old you are paying for what you have. Cheers.

quintaorodrigo3098
2021-07-11

It was fine :)

svine11034
2021-07-10

Poor environment dirty leaking building bird poop everywhere far to many unrealistic rules have to pay $12 per night for parking on top of stay payment very dirty kitchen with flys and cockroaches

unclehone13117481
2021-07-09

Didnt check the ratings before we stayed and regretted. Overall the place was pretty manky, but would definitely recommend the place if people are looking for a place that is cheap, in a good location, extremely manky and smelling like weed.

kacey22a733
2021-07-02

It's a waste of money. I couldn't even step on the carpet without my shoes on. I have booked this hostel for two nights because it's my last option, but I can't stay for another day that's why we move to another hotel the next day without asking for a refund.

bermejoirene442
2021-06-06

The place had a different bad smell in each section of the building. It was seriously dirty looking but bedsheets and pillows were very clean I don't wanna sound elitist but the many of the people that stay there are a little rough to be completely honest. Not all of them, mind you but more than I'd like. There were no hooks of any kind to hang towels on. The window was unable to be shut properly because the latch was missing and in winter that sucks. The room was too small for 4 bunks (8 beds).

mjones410978225
2021-06-03

I stay there every week. Very nice and friendly staff. Great value for money.

keshavraman916531
2021-05-13

I felt scared staying there alone. I had only been there for 10 minutes before I knew I couldnt stay. I checked the reviews and felt terrified, so asked for a refund form and went and stayed at a different location immediately. I might have considered staying if I was there with someone else, but it just wasnt worth it. I filled out a refund form but the staff seemed angry with me so Im assuming I wont get my money back.

laurafrancesberry3915
2021-05-07

I didn't feel safe at all staying here alone felt like being in a mental health unit the only thing I liked about it was the location and 3 of the staff members who were really nice (Claudia, Jason and Angus)

alexandercaitlin53033
2021-03-27

The location is perfect -close to Cuba Street. Room was small, but there was no noise from the hallway or outside (except the squeaky fire door). Mattress firm but ...

Disappointed that 2 out of 3 showers were not working on the 2nd floor, however I didn't have to wait for a shower

The smell in the hallway wasn't the most pleasant. I'm not sure if that was cleaning stuff but if so, just too much.

I did not use the kitchen.

Games room could use some fresh paint and carpet.

nperzylo6635
2021-03-25

Best spot in city centre for all the Art Galleries Museums and theatre. Really nice staff. Parking is a bit hard but the staff are very kind in offering a hand in finding safe street parking that is literally a few metres away. I will definitely be going back to stay.

kaikouraseasidelodge1132
2021-03-25

Looked like a halfway house for adddicts. 5 stars.

tac365185
2021-02-19

Reasonable for the price. Great location.

lite_telea088366
2021-02-16

Worst place. Didnt stay the night as the ceiling was falling in.

alisonhosey824875
2021-02-13

Good location

wendyyueyang3113
2021-02-13

Very centrally sited, only a short walk to Cuba street. The people (staff and residents) were lovely, very helpful and friendly. It was cheap, like very cheap....however to say it was run down would be something of an understatement. The majority of facilities were 'out of order'....including toilets, showers, lift, coke machine, bar, ski machine (super sad about that), leaking kitchen ceiling, to name a few. Very very grubby overall. I found bogies wiped on the wall beside my bed.

jocarter6728
2021-02-06

Staff were very nice, had a bit of an "old hotel eerie" feeling. Lots of long term Tennant's. Very close to Cuba street and downtown. Room was clean. Bathroom could use a little work. 2 toilets and showers for the wing.

jennaschroeder027169
2021-01-31

The location is great. Staff is friendly. The bed that i sleep on is good and clean !! However, i feel that the building needs a makeover with fresh paints, replaced old facilities such as old carpet, dim lights and shower facilities to make it a more appealing and inviting environment to stay in.

feliciawong279035
2021-01-06

Very good hostel with helpfull staff.

Just needs a good clean special the floors and carpets.

saralesiak3138
2021-01-05

Our hostel includes an in-house bar with Sky TV, pool tables, fully equipped kitchen/laundry facilities, TV lounge, dining area, internet access, free day storage, limited car parking, public coin and card phones available. The hostel is smoke free (including all bedrooms) so there is an outdoor smoking area available for those who want to smoke. At check in photo identification is required along with a $20 cash key deposit for each key given out. Full wheelchair access. Bookings for onward travel can be made at reception, wide variety of brochures available for Wellington, adventure, travel and hostels.

Our hostel is in the central city area with a short walk to the hustle and bustle of Courtenay Place - the entertainment district where everyone comes out to play. We are close to Te Papa Mueum, all major banks, post office, theatres, cafe's, bars and resturants and approx 10 mins walk to the city supermarket.

Address: 152 Taranaki Street, corner Vivan & Taranaki, Te Aro, Wellington, New Zealand

Lodge in the City is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Lodge in the City Wellington www.lodgeinthecity.co.nz
Phone Number: 0064-04-385-8560

Digital Nomads

Elevator/Lift

Meeting/Banquet facilities

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 11 PM (08:00-23:00)

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate Lodge in the City