Hostel Smith

The Hostelz.com Review

Hostel Smith is a hostel located centrally in Nice, France. The environment is a bit hectic, as everyone crowds in the reception area and the hostel is run by volunteers who are not familiar with the hostel or the city.

The hostel is located in the center of the Old Town and is only about a five-minute walk to the beach. It is easy to arrive to the hostel from the airport shuttle bus, which will drop you off within a five-minute walk to the hostel. Nice is well equipped with public transport but it is also a very easy walking city. There are many bars and restaurants within minutes from the hostel. The owner will be happy to give you recommendations based on the things you'd like to see and do while you're in Nice.

The hostel has several dorm guest rooms and a private room. We stayed in one dorm room and were asked to move the second night, so that the other room could be sanitized; it seems as if they may have had bedbugs. There are neither outlets nor lights for each bed; there are not many outlets in the room. Linens are provided for free, but towels are not and you must make your own bed. The rooms are not very organized, as there is no space for luggage, yet the lockers are only big enough for valuables. The hostel staff aren't able to find keys for many of the lockers anyway, and they require an expensive deposit if you choose to have a locker. There is no safe place to store your things.

There are two toilets and showers in the hallway, which are shared by the guests. They are always very clean.

The common area is the reception, where there is one couch, a very modern kitchen, and an outdoor terrace. The reception is a desk that you'll see as soon as you enter the hostel. The Wi-Fi does not work very well. The best service is in the reception area. Breakfast is included and consists of french baguettes and jam.

Summary

This hostel doesn't have a great environment, and we would not stay here again.
by Lola
2016-11-28

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Hostel Smith" at 20, Rue Droite.)

20, Rue Droite, Nice, French Riviera, France
www.hostelsmith.com/
0609145347 - 0620206232
+33 (0)6 2020 6232

How is Hostel Smith rated on other websites?

They have bedbugs!
Do not stay here. My partner and I were forced to leave this hostel at 2am after finding an infestation of bedbugs in our beds. We told reception who offered us a refund or a new bed, we took the refund and left, mind you there were 3 other girls in our room that they did not notify about the situation who I am sure all their things would well and truly be infested by now. I contacted the hostel providing photo evidence and asking for a full refund to which I never received a reply and they have now blocked me from leaving a review on a hostel booking website. Not only is this place dirty -- the toilet and bathroom look like it has never been cleaned, the staff are extremely rude, and they cram 6 bunks into a tiny room with no air con. Definitely do not recommend.
Age 25, Australia
2016-08-23

Disgusting
really everything is disgusting. firstly there is only 1 toilet and everyone use that toilet. the shower place cover is transparent, people see easily while take a shower. hostel smith smells terrible. i dont advise.
betul
Age 21, turkey
2013-08-20

Ehhh ok
Fantastic location but not the best place. I felt for a hostel it was a little pricey for what was offered. It was in suite bathrooms but hey were so nasty to me! Ugh constantly wet and gross I dreaded taking a shower in the bathroom! But the location was great, I felt safe, and the people were nice.
Ana
(Usa)
2012-05-30

Does what it says on the tin
I stayed here in Jan 2009, I had a great time. I was in nice to find work and an apartment, unfortunately had to leave due to back injury, HOWEVER, staying at the hostel was great fun, met some really cool people and that includes the owners Frank and Helen.They were helpful to me above and beyond the call of duty. The hostels location couldn't be much better, 2mins from the tram stop, 2mins from the coach station, 3 mins to the sea, surrounded by restaurants and bars to suit all tastes, the facilities are more than adequate, not 5* but what do you expect at this price. Theres TV with UK + French channels,you can catch up on international events if you so wish, theres free internet, the kitchen has all you need, except maybe free food and beer, the only fault I could find was that the noise in the street was loud very late sometimes(i was there for over 3 weeks) and I am a very light sleeper. All in all I had a wonderful time at the hostel and I am returning from cape town in 2 days to check out some jobs again and will be staying at hostel smith again. This was my first experience in a hostel, although I have traveled a lot and am not particularly young I wondered why I hadnt done it sooner!
Tony