Geneva Hostel, Geneva

8.6

Geneva Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld HostelsClub Booking.com

How is Geneva Hostel rated on booking websites?

Geneva Hostel Reviews

A hostel located 10 minutes from the main train station of Geneva. A couple minutes more will bring you to Lake Geneva. The hostel has a feeling of institutionalism; it is abnormally clean and very concrete (literally). Other then being rather souless, you surely must encounter some strange folk given the 350 beds available. The hostel offers a plethora of services including; a TV room receiving cable, arcade game, pool table, kitchen, laundromat, private parking, paying internet access, playground, and meeting rooms/classrooms. Bathrooms are on every floor, which could use maintenance a little more often. Swiss army knives are sold at discount, and lockers are provided for a small charge of 2 CHF (the keys are sold in the vending machine). Older people, families, children, and backpackers all share the floor, which may mean some guests won't be as tolerant as some backpackers are. For instance, they may be a bit more intolerant to subtle behaviour like entering a room a little too noisy after they have retired early.
#
Hostelz

I really can't complain!

A relatively modern, spacious hostel, it was quite busy when I visited, the beginning of August 2015! Still, they provided sheets, the bathrooms had locking full doors to toilets, showers there was a sink near the restaurant for water ... I didn't make it to the free breakfast because I misread the time, but what I saw looked decent! I heard towel rental was 2chf ... A daytime locker the day I checked out was another 2chf, which I considered a great deal for my two heavy bags. I was free to explore until my evening flight! Check out the reading room on the top floor if you like quiet! They have free Internet in certain areas. And of course, getting to use the public transportation for free is a great opportunity to see the parks and major sights. Nice museums too!

Gia
2015-08-04
Age 29 | USA

Outstanding

It is safe (electronic-secured big lockers, entry only to entitled persons), clean, good service, and after all affordable. For the price of ca. 35$ you get breakfast, free wifi, a day-ticket for Geneva-Transportation system (including a boat-tour with the yellow boats). Summary -- simple and outstanding.

outstanding affordable nice
2015-06-28
Age 55 | Germany

Great place to stay

A modern hostel located in a nice safe area, only few minutes walk to the main station and the famous Geneva Lake, it is well equipped, clean, and the best part about it is the Breakfast. Well there are only two hostels in the city to choose from. It is highly recommended.

Said
2015-05-22
Age 46 | US

Not too shabby

Really enjoyed the inexpensive stay. I don't have too much to say here other than I have no real complaints. The breakfast wasn't all too great, but then it only cost 45 CHF/night so I'm not complaining.

Nate
2014-04-28
Age 24 | USA

Excellent breakfast

Wish it could be cheaper. Free transportation is nice.

Randall
2014-02-02

Worst Hostel of the Trip

After staying in eight other hostels, this one was by far the worst. The staff was rude when trying to ask questions and split our group up into two separate rooms saying we had only reserved beds and not a room for the hostel. On top of that, the room we stayed in had bugs everywhere. I am glad we only had to be there one night.

Andy
2013-06-26

Noisy and stinky

I have just got home after staying three nights in this hostel. I have traveled to lots of countries and always stayed in hostels. Never before I stayed in a place so noisy like this one. I paid for a private room, so you figure how dorms will be. The place is huge and attracts big groups. The noise level increases after midnight when the reception closes. Groups tend to stay talking very loudly in the floors and doors slam all the time. Drunk guys tend to knock on the doors just for "fun." This happened twice when I was there. Basically no one respects that is already very late and some people would like to sleep. The hostel is clean, but there is a very bad smell in the lifts and in the bathrooms. That's really disgusting and lots of people were complaining about that. It seems like there is something rotten somewhere, but, as I said, the bathrooms were clean. perhaps very old pipes that needed urgent cleaning? The good part is the breakfast which is very good. You get cereals, yoghurt, bread, juice, and something hot to drink.

Nikkcam
2008-02-23
Switzerland

Admittedly, stayed here with our family. I reserved a room for four with bathroom facilities on the phone. When we arrived we were assigned a room for six without bathroom facilities. It is clean here, and the breakfast is ok. But the staff doesn't seem particularly thrilled to be working here. Everything is under lock and key -- a swipe card (key), that is. That means that doors slam shut round the clock at seemingly ten-second intervals. This kept my husband and me awake -- our two sons didn't hear anything. We weren't able to get a parking space because their parking lot was full, but for 10 swiss francs could park in a locked garage. Not a bad deal. The location is very good. The rooms are extremely austere. The staff gave us a map of the city and we were each given a pass to use on the public transportation system for the two days we were in town -- quite a good deal, I think.

Karen
2007-04-12
American but live in Germany

Geneva Hostel Reviews from the Web

There was only one staff member working the front desk. As a result there was always a delay in getting serviced. I rated security low because while not everyone had a key, anyone could walk in and out of the busy building and all they would have to do is wait for someone to go through one of the doors and then theyd have free access. One positive were the lockers inside the rooms-they were big and unlocked with your room key. Shower was directed at floor causing water to go everywhere.

kimberlybaughman74607
2022-08-06

Great hostel. For the size they could use a real communal kitchen. It is where great conversations happen.

wetherhaven
2022-08-05

Overall our stay was fine. We chose this hostel as it had good reviews. My only drawbacks were that checking in theres was a line and it took 45 minutes and any other time I needed help from the desk I had to wait 30+ minutes as only one person was working. There is no air conditioning and it was sticky hot when we were there and they dont even make the bed for you. They give you the bedding to do it yourself. Good location and facilities thing.

marissabelcaster7182
2022-08-03

Decent hostel, only complaint was the whole building was very hot. As soon as you walked into the lobby you get a wave of heat. This was in the dining hall and rooms too. We had to keep our window and door open to our room to try and get a cross breeze and cool the room, but it didnt work. Another guest in the room went out and bought a fan to make the room cooler to sleep.

andrewgbarson3219
2022-08-02

Worst hostel Ive ever stayed at. No AC or fans In the rooms and they get so hot at night. The line to speak to reception is always 20+ minutes long. The outlets hang from the top so they dont hold plugs in place. There is no social scene or activities.

a94YN4W165P9wQkr
2022-08-01

The staff was a little rough. I had to do my bed myself which wouldnt have been a problem if I payed less than 50. I had nice roommates but my room had no airco and smelled really bad.

adxYaVL7wWihBvfS
2022-07-31

Did the job. Had to pay extra for everything or put a deposit down. Queues for reception were also very long as only one member of staff. No atmosphere here at all. Basic level of cleanliness. No AC, so very hot and loud as then needed window open. Only good thing was the location.

afGVpncl6MpycDF4
2022-07-31

I loved it, the place is really safe and it is fairly close to the main touristic sites. The staff was friendly and the breakfast (that is included) is really nice and has a great variety. I would definitely recommend it and go there again.

asrdrcRXNuWjKEES
2022-07-30

Great hostel, really good staff, felt safe and was really close to geneva station

isabelmclaughlin1329
2022-07-29

For me, it is a bit expensive per night for a hostel, but you do get a breakfast and a Geneva pass which makes public transport and attractions free/cheap, so it balances out. The rooms were hot at night in July, so I think air conditioning or a fan is needed.

steveo978691
2022-07-29

Has the potential to be an amazing hostel but fell disappointingly short. The location is great and the beds were comfy with nice spacious lockers and the free breakfast was nice also. However I wouldnt stay here again. Only one member of staff working at all times meaning theres constantly a big queue so expect to wait for at least an hour. The kitchen facilities are tiny for such a big hostel, theres next to no atmosphere in the hostel and the rooms are ridiculously hot.

domsamsonpt4262
2022-07-27

Atmosphere is boring, common area does not create meeting with other travelers.

Frnkvsr
2022-07-26

It is not worth it. When arriving I had to do a 40mins line for check in. The rooms and toilets are not very clean. Although it is not a complete mess, for that value I think it is better to go somewhere else. No hair dryer but some weird bathroom hand dryer that you are supposed to use on your hair. You have to pay for the linnen and the towel. So it is not that cheap after all. Staff is not very friendly and you have to wait in line for everything.

soniaboustani3163
2022-07-25

Overall I had a great stay. It was pretty clean, I felt safe there, the staff were lovely and the breakfast and location were excellent. It was also great that we had our own secure lockers to leave our belongings in. The only real criticism I had was the lack of air flow that made the rooms and corridors almost unbearably hot in July when I made my visit.

talithalund6247
2022-07-25

No Aircon (sweltering) or functional plug sockets. Otherwise good.

E111ot
2022-07-24

There is no air conditioning and its extremely uncomfortable. The restrooms were not very clean. The staff at the front desk was not particularly friendly and the front desk was understaffed with a very slow and long line at all hours. The lockers are located outside the rooms and do not close quietly do you hear slamming all night and morning. Breakfast was good and security and location were great.

cclarkebrown4402
2022-07-24

The lady at the reservation desk was very kind and helpful.

enessamil_kiraz1837
2022-07-23

When we arrived at the hostel, my bed was dirty (old sheets on the bed and a pair of pants hanging from the upper bunk). I had to switch rooms because it wasnt able to be cleaned. Wifi also didnt work in the rooms. Other than that, I had a decent stay because of the location and facilities.

lillykuiken162
2022-07-21

Lovely and clean, a super breakfast provided and close to Lake Geneva, with excellent transport links.

pippasleach4224
2022-07-20

Really nice hostel but rooms need air con!!! Was extremely hot and even having windows open wasnt helping. Very hard to get to sleep. Other than that it was a great hostel in a great location.

amelieredfern
2022-07-20

Being inhabited as far as 3000 B.C, Geneva has always been of interest to many civilizations as different as the Celts, Romans, Germanic Burgundian and French. All have one time, or another lived in this beautiful city. Geneva has never lost any of its cosmopolite feeling, hosting many world organizations such as the UNO and the International Red Cross. It gives you a glimpse of the city's role in today's world.

Check-in

• 2 roomswith 6 beds and shower/WC
• 34 multi-bed rooms
A total of 334 beds.
Shower/WC on the floor

• From the airport "Cointrin": Take a local train "RER" to downtown's "Cornavin" train station. Or you can also take bus 10 at the airport to downtown; you then get off at "22 cantons". At the stop, walk towards "Cornavin" train station and look for tram line 13. Once at the train station, you have the choice of either, continuing onwards by foot on rue the Lausanne for about 15 minutes.
• From the station "Cornavin": It takes only about a fifteen minutes walk from "Cornavin" train station, on rue de Lausanne direction OMC. Then, you turn right on "rue Rothschild". You will be able to see the Hostelling International Logo. By tram, take line 13 (direction Nations), you then get off at "Butini" and go back one street from "rue Butini". You should then be on "rue Rothschild".

Address: Rue Rothschild 28-30, Geneva, Canton of Geneva, Switzerland

Geneva Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com HostelsClub