Hostel Mostel - Sofia

Hostel Mostel - Sofia is in a fairly central location -- Sofia is not such a huge city and you can pretty much walk anywhere in the center within fifteen or twenty minutes.

The hostel is located at 2A Makedonia Avenue. You can catch an OK taxi here from the international bus station. It is located two shops after the Caesar casino. (Be careful which brand of taxi you take because the other brands can be very expensive!) The hostel is easy to miss because the entrance is a garage door and there is only a little sign (as seen in the picture). When you find it, go up and press the buzzer on the right side.

The rooms and bathrooms are very clean. We've never been in a hostel where the soap dispensers are constantly refilled and the toilets have a perfumed/coloured flush! They even have spray fresh in there!

The rooms are nice and well heated in the cold. Be careful however that you don't book a stay in the loft/attic (the cheapest option) because there is no heating up there, and it is freezing! If the weather is warm, no worries. The dorms also have their own lockers and some even have their own bathroom (depending on how much you pay). The rooms are very secure with swipe card entry. Private rooms are also available but they are out of the main hostel area and a short walk away.

The showers are very clean and are separate from the toilets (fortunately). They have hooks to hang your clothes, and also have soap dispensers for the shower! A free towel is available if you ask them for it.

The common area of the hostel was previously an art gallery, which makes for a warm, comfortable atmosphere. The common room/hall is composed of the following -- three computers (free internet and Wi-Fi), two very large sofas (about twenty-person capacity), two dining tables, kitchen, a special shoes-off area with a fairly huge flat screen TV, toilets, reception, luggage storage, book exchange, free pool table.

The price includes buffet breakfast with salami, cheeses, olives, bread, all kinds of spreads, and sometimes fruit. It also includes free dinner every night -- a plate of spaghetti and a free beer! Eating dinner with other guests also is an easy way to meet new people.

For the price of the hostel, this place is a bargain. It's got a good location, super friendly staff, good social atmosphere, and so many free things it makes your head spin! Just avoid sleeping in the loft/attic and you'll have an awesome time!
by hlias albanis
October 2009

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Hostel Mostel - Sofia" at 2A, Makedonia Blvd..)

2A, Makedonia Blvd., Sofia, Sofia Province, Bulgaria
42.695176, 23.314582
info@hostelmostel.com, booking@hostelmostel.com
++359 (0) 889 22 32 96
++359 (0) 889 22 32 96

How is Hostel Mostel - Sofia rated on other websites?

Great atmosphere and great staff
My friend and I only stayed for two nights in Sofia at this hostel and we truly believe that this hostel was our main attraction for this short stay. We met people from all over the world through their pub crawl and got to hear all the different experiences and life stories of everyone as well. The staff was very helpful with directions and what to see and do, they gave us a map of the city right when we got there and had a mini orientation about where to eat for traditional bulgarian food. The beds had sheets for privacy and little lockers on the wall for small valuables, as well as big lockers in the room for your bag. Great stay and had a very fun time, next time i go back to Sofia I am definitely staying here again!
Age 24, Usa
Good, cheap place to stay
Hostel Mostel in Sofia is an excellent place to hang out while visiting Sofia. I would give it 5 stars except for the bad mattresses on most of the beds. They say they are updating them. Lets hope!
Age 59, USA
People there are very nice! Excellent hostel!
I stay there for 3 nights. The staff are very nice! The hostel provide space to let people meet each other. And the design of the hostel made you feel they are doing with their heart. Places are clean. Strongly recommend you to stay there if you visit Sofia!
(Hong Kong)
Best among 4 i stayed in sofia
Very centre spot, u even got a bank there when turn left from exit, the showers good and decent, and main balcony of the upstairs. stayed around 5 days in 2013. noise level is good with regards that the spot is central. actually the wood stairs makes it a good architecture that gives you space atmosphere.
Age 47, Isreal
Perfect Atmosphere, Inexpensive, Convenient Location
At this hostel, you will truly feel like a guest and part of a family. I met some great people from all over the world at the TWO free meals per day (breakfast and dinner, both of which are substantial), which is part of the draw to me for staying in hostels. At check-in, an employee goes over all of the attractions, restaurants, and amenities of the city with you, providing a detailed and easy-to-use map. When I come back to Bulgaria, I will definitely stay with Hostel Mostel.
Age 19, USA
Decent place
This place was nice -- a real hostel, busy and lots of hangout. It was clean and the staff were friendly and informative. Breakfast was great. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because I think this place is better for more party-going/drinking people (which I'm not) because it was extremely loud until very late at night. So if you like partying, this could be a great place for you.
Amazing Service and Great Location
My husband and I stayed in the double for 3 nights and absolutely loved it. E service was incredible, I have never been given such useful information before when checking in. We ate at two of the restaurants recommended and stayed an extra day so we could take the day trip to the Rila Monestry. Which I would highly recommend as a day trip. If you go with the hostel it will cost 20euros, even the food recommendation for that trip was brilliant. The breakfast is fabulous and well worth it. Shops and all sites are an easy walk from the hostel. Our only complaint is that the double bed is VERY noisy, every time we turned through the night it woke the other person up so we didn't sleep very well. We are going back but this time have booked the twin in the hope it isn't as noisy. Other than that the hostel is PERFECT.
Awesome hostel!
It's the first review for a hostel I ever write but this needs to be said. It's such an awesome place! I loved it so much my first night that I came back in two days, changing my accommodation itinerary. Lovely people, super-helpful staff, free pasta for dinner and beer (!), fast wifi. The only suggestion for improvement would be better blankets. Thankfully, I had my own to supplement that thin sheet that was provided. Overall, highly recommend it!
Age 25, USA