Hostel 7 Santi

Hostel 7 Santi is one of the better hostels we've stayed in, and we would recommend it to friends. Everything is reasonably priced, and there is a friendly, social atmosphere here.

This hostel is not centrally located, so be sure to have good directions for how to arrive there. However, it's on a main street, so it's not too difficult to find. Also, there are many buses that stop almost at the hostel's door step, so just be sure you know which one to take. The hostel's neighborhood is quiet and residential, which is nice to get away from the more touristy parts of Florence. The main sites are about a half-hour walk away, or you can easily take a bus to the city's center. There is a train station nearby, and easy bus service to the rest of the stations in the city.

This hostel has an interesting feel, because it was an old hospital. The corridors and rooms are bright and airy, and a lot of rooms have an attached bathroom. The beds are decent, bunk-bed style beds that don't move too much when the other sleeper moves. Our biggest problem with the rooms is that there are no lockers for safely locking bags. There's a few shelves, but nothing you can attach a lock to. We had no problems with theft, but it made us nervous for our more valuable things.

The bathrooms are not bad. There is room to change in the bathroom, along with hooks for clothes in the bathroom and a shelf in the actual shower stall. There is plenty of hot water and it does not shut itself off after a certain amount of time.

This hostel has a common dining room where everyone eats breakfast or dinner, but when it is not meal time it is used for the internet and to chat with other people. There is also a very nice courtyard with tables in front of the hostel where people can hang out under awnings. The breakfast in this hostel is the best we've seen outside a hotel (and better than many hotels, to be honest). The food for dinner is also excellent, and very reasonably priced. We ate some of our best meals in Florence in this hostel, and we highly recommend trying it. This is a fairly social hostel, but it's definitely not a party place. Also, the internet is free and pretty fast. The only problem is that you can only use it downstairs.

Summary

This is a great hostel, and we would return here again and recommend it to friends. The biggest problem with it is bag security, but in all the other aspects is a good value hostel and well run.

May 2011
How is Hostel 7 Santi rated on other websites?
Gomio
Hostel 7 Santi Reviews from the Web
1   Avoid this place!!! I showed up at 11:45 am. I had checked their website ahead of time and there was no mention of any particular check in time. So I assumed 11:45 would be fine. Boy was I wrong! They scanned my passport, took my money and then told me I'd have to wait till 2pm for my room to be ready! I was stunned. How can it possibly take over 2 hours to get a room ready??? If this place was located in the center of Florence, maybe it would be ok. But it's not and there was no point in going into town just to come back a few hours later. So I waited. At 2pm, I went to check on my room. I was told it still wasn't ready and that I'd have to wait 20 more minutes!!! At 2:20, I checked again. Still not ready. Finally at 2:37, nearly 3 hours after I arrived, I was told my room was ready. I'm sorry but it should NOT take 3 hours to get a room ready. It should take 10-15 minutes at most. They don't even put the sheets on the bed for you. What the heck did they need to get ready??? Meanwhile, there were about 3-4 staff members just sitting around the office doing nothing. I could go on with more issues with this place but the bottom line is that this is an incredibly unprofessional place. I had very little time in Florence to begin with and due to their utter incompetence, I lost nearly 3 hours.  ()
1  We stayed here for three nights in May 05 and were grateful for the insights given by others here. (Wish we'd noticed them before we'd booked!) Mosquito problem: we spent one hour swatting the mosquitoes in the room as soon as we arrived (it has high ceilings so good aim is needed!) to avert disturbed nights. But were still disturbed by two mosquitoes (soon to be wazquitoes!). We kept the room windows/doors shut. This meant it was a bit airless — it would be worse in the 'hot' season. The door was very difficult to lock and we would have asked to be relocated but (having spent one hour killing mosquitoes) we put up with it. We heard someone else having similar problems with a door. I was surprised the bathrooms were considered "average" — there doesn't seem to be any maintenance program here. The shower doors were off their hinges, toilet doors wouldn't lock, and the lights didn't work in all but one shower at night. Meals: Only provided if there are a group of ten people, and the cost is 2 euros. The supermarket next door was adequate for making your own breakfast provisions. There is also a drink machine at the hostel but it doesn't give change. A free map was provided by the lady at the hostel and she did recommend a good restaurant. It was a 20-minute walk to town or the No. 17 bus. We walked except upon arrival/leaving. The place was cleaned regularly and sheets/towels were provided. I personally was glad to leave the hostel and it did mar what was otherwise a nice trip to Florence.  ()
4  Nice hostel, with nice people. The location is bad though, but the HI hostel is even further from the centre. Don't count on finding a supermarket nearby in the weekend though! The one just around the corner is closed, so you have to go all the way to the centre. But the rooms are cute, charming, and the place has a nice atmosphere.  ()
1  My boyfriend and I stayed in a private room. There was no air-conditioning, so we opened the window. They have no screens on the windows, so in the middle of the night we got attacked by mosquitoes. It was awful. I could not sleep. The rooms are clean enough, but the shower in the private room is just not worth it. I would describe it as a shower you would find on a train. You barely fit into it, and you are supposed to wind the plastic screen door around your body to close it. For almost 52 euros this place was definitely not worth it. Yes, the people are friendly, but the value isn't there. There was NO breakfast served when I was there in early July.  ()
2  This is a good hostel if you want silence. The place is dead quiet (I felt like I was the only person there). The location is not that good, either--you have to take a bus to the center of town). But the staff were friendly and the place was clean, except for a bit of a mosquito problem.  ()
2  We stayed here for two nights, and decided to stay at another hostel for the remaining nights. The rooms are decent--bigger double rooms than a typical hostel. The biggest problem was that we were attacked by mosquitoes. My sister counted thirteen bites after one night. The bathrooms are co-ed, and the showers are not designed to easily change in, or to keep your clothes from getting wet. The other drawback is that it takes 30 minutes by bus to get to the tourist sites. I would recommend staying somewhere else.  ()
5  I stayed in a private room here with two of my friends. The staff were super friendly and helpful, they had a good breakfast, and the view from our room overlooked the abbey garden and city. It was beautiful and charming. The bathroom in the room was a little small, but private. No AC, which is brutal in Florence summers, but the charm made up for it.  ()