South Beach Hostel

Exterior
Hang out BarLockers
Hang out BarSocial lobbyDorm Room
Dorm roomDorm roomShared BathroomCommunity kitchen

The South Beach Hostel is a hip youth hostel located in the quiet SoFi area of South Beach. It's the perfect place to meet travelers from around the world and have a good time while on vacation

Found on Second street and Washington Avenue, this hostel is in the heart of the residential area of lower South Beach. The bus passes directly in front of the hostel, so it is easy to get around, even though everything you could need -- food, entertainment, beach, and nightlife -- are all in walking distance. Street parking is available in front of the hostel.

The rooms are perhaps the only disappointing feature -- the eight-bed dorms are tiny. The bed is not the most comfortable. There are no ladders for the top bunkers to use and the mattresses are so thin you can feel the bed frame. Private rooms are also available. All rooms are accessed by key cards as are all other areas, including bathrooms and the kitchen. Lockers are available in the rooms, as well as at the reception area.

The bathrooms are all shared, located down the hall on each floor. Showers are a bit high, and the pressure is also high, making it difficult to shower without getting your hair soaked. The girls bathroom is quite small. Towels are not provided.

The small kitchen is very practical and functional, and fully equipped with utensils and crockery. And the coolest thing is, there is a small movie theatre/TV area in the same room. Make a meal, sit in front the big screen, and relax. On-site laundry is available. There is an internet area equipped with half a dozen computers for guest use in the lounge. Right at the entrance of the hostel is a pool table and a bar, which has two daily happy hours and some of the cheapest beer on the beach. ATM is also in lobby. Breakfast is available in the bar area each morning -- juice, coffee and tea, bagels, and fruit, which are a welcome change from toast and pancakes. There are always guests hanging around, everyone is friendly and happy, great place for socialising with fellow travelers as well as locals who come to patronise the bar.

Summary

The place is immaculately clean in the common areas. It has a great atmosphere, everyone seems happy, the euphoria is contagious. This place is good value for money, if you dont mind the beds. They have very good security as well, with clearly marked emergency exits.

August 2009

How is South Beach Hostel rated on other websites?
Gomio
South Beach Hostel Reviews from the Web
4   Good hostel Stayed here for 5 nights. Good clean hostel with good location. Price was ok -- 32 each for my gf and I for a private room. Walkable distance to everything in south beach. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good, but only runs until 10am for those who like sleeping in. They also give out books, board games, cards for those who are into that stuff, if not they have a bar downstairs with god price drinks and club nights each night. I would stay again.  , age 24, Australia ()
2   Staff is lazy This is the only hostel in key west, 50 dollar per night, a little expensive. But you have no choice. The problem is that staff is seldom in the office. Second, check-in time must be after 2:30 PM. So when you arrive in the morning, you can only wait in the yard, and you even can not use restroom and showers which are only inside the rooms. Very inconvenient!  , age 34, Taiwan ()
2   Party Hostel Party Hostel. Bar on site so noisy partying. If that's your thing you'll love it. If you like some quiet try someplace else.  , USA ()
4   Location, location, and this hostel has its own bar! you have to give this place some credit, considering that it's mostly long term and that some "Guests" have lived there for months. So you're dealing with twenty or so individuals from all over the world that live with each other day in and day out and that are also coming and going. (What a place to write a book about!) Along with all that it has to offer, there were also free spanish lessons, I believe twice a week! Though I'm sure one could pick up a little bit of every language staying here. The rooms are a bit small and the bathrooms were being renovated, great TV room and kitchen, and I was so impressed with the ethnic diversity, I felt as if I were on another planet. This is the hostel to stay at for at least a week. Just remember that hostel owners and employees deal with a whole diversity of individuals. This hostel was my home for a week, back in January 2008, before I sat sail for the caribbean. I highly recommend this hostel for the individual that has a taste for variety, the night life and all that South Beach has to offer.  , USA ()
4   Very good hostel Friendly staff and (the most important part of an hostel) great common room, who cares if rooms are not the best ever (they're just a bit old but not dirty) and when i was there bathrooms were being restructured. also it's really near the beach and to south beach's night life, i really recommend this hostel.  , italy ()
1   Worst Staff and Toilets Well The Staff screwed up my shuttle reservation to the airport. It cost me $2 to get there from the airport and $75 to get back, because I had to take a last minute taxi cab to make my flight. It sucked! Try to avoid this place if you can.  , u.s.a. ()
1  The worst place i have stayed on ever! I would rather sleep on the street and give $25 plus tax to a homeless than stay in that sh*thole again. We booked a four-bed dorm with free internet access on their computers and free long distance calls. We got nothing. Fourteen-bed dorm, twenty-cent-per-minute internet and not even a pay phone. When we told the staff that we got the wrong room they just blew us off. Do I need to add that the toilets didn't work or that they only had cold water in the showers? I've been traveling for six months now and nothing hasn't been even close to this. We checked out the fastest we could and got a hotel for almost the same price. Do not go here!  , Sweden ()
1  This was an altogether unpleasant experience that I never want to repeat. We were there on Superbowl weekend 2007 and the hostel was absolutely foul. The showers were disgusting, the beds were uncomfortable and we returned to the U.K. with a healthy dose of scabies. Yes scabies. After three days of constant itching we finally clicked and went to the doctors. Not before we'd passed it on to our girlfriends though. Very cheap and a perfect location but do yourself a favour and pay that little bit more for a hotel, I wish we had. I've stayed in some nasty places in my life but this beat them all by a good stretch. I don't care how little you charge, it's pretty simple to keep things relatively clean and at the very least tidy. This place was neither. No security, the cockroach stories are true (we saw them), the stories about homeless people staying there are also true (we had the joy of living with one for a night). All in all, avoid this place like the plague. Otherwise you run the risk of actually getting the plague.  ()