The Candy Hostel

If you want to spend several days in Big Apple economically and conveniently, Candy Hostel is a good choice, especially for a group.

The location of Candy Hostel is one of the biggest advantages of living here -- it's near downtown area and is only about five minutes' walk from the metro stop. Central Park is in walking distance. There are twenty-four-hour grocery stores and fast food courts nearby. The neighborhood looks clean, quiet, and safe.

Although the room space is not big, it's quite neat and clean with bright big windows. Every day the room is cleaned and the sheets are changed. Sometimes we feel a little stuffy at night, so we open the windows to let some air in. Bathrooms are spacious and very clean!

There is a TV room where you can access wireless internet. The hostel also has some computers but you need pay to access internet in those computers. There are some self-storage luggage storage lockers at the first floor (you must also pay for these).

Summary

This is a very nice place to stay. The best part is the location. The spaces are small but you can not ask too much in downtown New York. It would be better if the staff smiled more!

December 2008

How is The Candy Hostel rated on other websites?
The Candy Hostel Reviews from the Web
1   Quite good location, simple, and dirty The hotel was very simple. We had our own bathroom, but it was very dirty. We got only a towel for two people, which was taken away by the housekeeper on the third day. There was not even a chair in the room. The room was not cleaned during the four day -- I checked it through a hair in the bathtub. I slept in lot of hostel in the world (from Mexico to Thailand), but it was my worst choice ever for such a big amount (70 Usd/night/room). I am very sorry about it.  , Hungarian ()
4   Nice, clean, but rooms are small easy to find. came off the subway at 96th and walk down 95th to the address i was given to find a chinese guy taking me through the building to the candy hostel on 94th street. also has no sign so its hard to know if you walked past it or not. the rooms were small but clean and warm, the staff very friendly and helpful, the game and tv room is great fun. cheap for new york and good location.  , england ()
3   It's a place to sleep Location -- Close to subway, felt safe to walk at all hours, but they desperately need some sort of signage to indicate that we came to the right place. The address seems to differ on several booking sites and seems to get confused with the Continental (330 95th) when the Candy is 316 94th. A nice man at the Continental counter lead us through a basement maze through the building to get us to the Candy side. This seemed to be common because we saw several confused travelers also being led in this way. I'm sure the Upper West Side is a "trendy, happening area" as many sites seem to indicate, but we much preferred Greenwich Village/Soho area which was only a subway ride away. Staff -- The most common response on all review sites is that the staff were rude. While I don't expect to be welcomed with open arms at a budget hostel, a simple smile would go a long way for people who have just arrived in a new city. The first impression was cold, but further dealings (requesting an extra towel/pillow, subway directions) revealed a bit more personality. It's very simple -- smile and be polite to all staff and chances are they will do the same. Rooms/Cleanliness -- We stayed in a private room, all rooms are shared bathroom. Each floor is split into two sections with two bathrooms per section. Bathroom rush hour was around 9 a.m. and sadly to say, our floormates were pigs. Hair everywhere, soap wrappers scattered around, water splashed all over the floor. (Dry yourself off before stepping out of the shower makes sense to me.) However, the cleaning staff made it spotless right after. Soap dispensers in the bathrooms would seem much more efficient than giving out the little travel soap bars every day. The rooms were also cleaned every day -- beds made, fresh towels, floor swept, garbage emptied. As for size, this is a hostel, not a hotel. The private room was about ten by twelve and had just barely enough room for the small double bed and table that held a TV. There was a small closet, and a hanger ration of one per person available from the front desk. The small shelves on the wall were fine for toiletries, but lose the TV and the table would have been much better for storage. If you want to watch TV, stay home! People seem to be worried about bedbugs, rats, mice, and roaches, but there were no evidence of any pests. I'm always amused by internet pictures vs. real life -- the pics are obviously right after a fresh coat of paint. Buildings in NY are old. Elevators in old buildings are slow. Get over it. Overall, The Candy worked for what we needed. A no-frills place to sleep and shower for cheap. I've stayed in worse but this place felt completely safe and comfortable. When we return to N.Y., if we can't find something comparable in the Village, We'd stay at the Candy again.  , Canada ()
1   Rude Staff This Hostel charged me extra when I arrived, although I showed them the print out saying balance of xx was payable when I arrive at the property. Although they said it is a tax charge the receipt they gave mentions zero sales tax. I realized theyre doing this to almost everyone checking in. They do not accept any credit cards, only cash. And I saw few big cockroaches. The staff was bullying anyone who comes with normal questions.  , USA ()
5   Friendly, clean, comfortable, and convenient I stayed here for a couple of weeks and it was a very nice and safe place for my daughter and I. If you are looking for a basic room, with no frills, then this is the place. The maids and desk staff were great! Security is wonderful and the elevators work, but we usually took the stairs as it was quicker. I have been in hotels that didn't even come close to the service of this place.  , USA ()